U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:40 PM

19,111 posts, read 19,970,850 times

Advertisements

^^ Believe me they do. There was another thread where a guy purchased a video camera, recorded a event he attended and returned the camera the next day.

Think there was clothing returned in that thread too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 04:36 PM

11,121 posts, read 14,796,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Harper081 View Post
It is ridiculous that store ban their customers.
Mostly they just ban them from doing returns and only the ones who make a habit of it. Like the lady we have who comes in about every day to buy her bargains and a week later brings them all back because her husband raises cain. It doesn't affect the average shopper. Besides some customers wind up costing a store money, they aren't the kind a store wants to keep anyhow. The shoplifting customers, the 'borrowers', the obnoxious and aggressive shoppers who tie up staff to the point that other customers are inconvenienced, etc.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:38 AM

6,686 posts, read 6,961,342 times
We sell almost exclusively online, and have banned customers. The ones we ban are the ones who are nasty when they make their returns. Life's too short to deal with nasty people more than you have to, so hasta la bye-bye.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:50 PM

16,085 posts, read 24,300,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
My question is, again: why don't sellers just make it clear on their website, what is the maximum return rate accepted? If it is a very generous limit (which often is), then what's the worry? You still retain the "good" customers, and at the same time discourage "bad" ones, and can ban the unacceptable ones by pointing at your clear policy.
On Ebay as well as other sites, sellers clearly state no returns or refunds. It is against PayPal and credit cards terms of use. Usually as soon as I've received an item in the mail, if I wish to return for whatever the reason, I notify the seller right away. Sometimes I'll pay return shipping cost.

I'm not interested in ripping anyone off or wearing an item only to return it and get a refund, but I know it happens.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:36 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,085,792 times
No credit card I use has that rule on any.They allow dispute in all cases. Buyers sell and use quite often. Besides its sellers right not to sell as buyers not to buy.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:19 AM

14,136 posts, read 19,291,916 times
my sisters late mother in law would do that all the time and she and I both thought it tacky and can you imagine someone wearing something not laundering it and then returning it ? ewww ....never ever would I buy something and use it aka wear it and then return it NO thank you I would launder it and then send it to the goodwill if I did not like it or wear it again . I don't blame stores and or retailers doing this , after hearing of this from my sister .

Old 05-24-2015, 12:37 PM

549 posts, read 447,960 times
Reviving a zombie thread...
I just wanted to comment on the obvious, specific to online only stores: as part of the business model they should expect to deal with a higher number of returns. Customers don't know what they are getting until they receive the item, and of course sizing can be wacky. One of my favorite stores is online only and I buy many things from there, and have spent lots of money! But yeah sometimes I am going to have return, if an item doesn't fit or quality is not as expected.
It was only in the last year or so they even charged for returns (although not for store credit), but yes it's very fair to do so. They sell a huge number of brands and vendors so everything varies considerably. I would hate to banned for returns since it's kind of necessary for me as a customer; I may buy two sizes for example, to see which works best. Stores need to allow for this and expect it. I've never been given any trouble but I wouldn't abuse the system either. And returning items after wearing/ using is just gross. It's probably difficult to prove but retailers should be able to be tougher on customers returning items that smell, for instance. It's not in like new condition, so why should they accept it?

Old 05-26-2015, 01:27 AM

5,678 posts, read 3,069,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
There is nothing wrong (and I can well understand) that sellers want to discourage customers who make too many returns (not to mention those returning used items). But then why do the sellers claim "satisfaction guaranteed" and "if for any reason you are not satisfied, return it and no question asked", blah, blah? Isn't it to mislead and trap customers?
You know and I know their are people that take advantage of that claim. Abuse the system.
They know before they purchase they won't be satisfied and already know they will be returning the item.
It is not a trap if you are being dishonest. They are misleading the store when they purchase the item.
It has nothing to do with not being satisfied to those people who try to work the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or