Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:23 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times

Advertisements

This happened in our town too. The owner had some strange covenants in the mall, such as there could not be a food court in there. Because they owned some restaurants outlying the mall. Tore the mall down almost a decade ago. Lot is still vacant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 12:20 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Maybe the people boycotting them because they sell fur are having an effect.
Doubtful. Those few people who boycott because of fur wouldn't have much of an effect on sales.

There's still a lot of resentment in some markets from when Federated bought May Co. and converted the whole kit and kaboodle over to Macy's stores.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:12 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Doubtful. Those few people who boycott because of fur wouldn't have much of an effect on sales.

There's still a lot of resentment in some markets from when Federated bought May Co. and converted the whole kit and kaboodle over to Macy's stores.
Yeah - in the Atlanta market we had Rich's that were converted to Macy's. I agree with the resentment aspect - but the "homogenized" look of the merchandise is also to blame. The Macy's I frequented in Atlanta has basically the same look at the Macy's in Ohio that I go to now. Needless to say, I rarely purchase anything anything.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:54 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
In Chicago (I'm in Houston now but from Chicago) Macy's took over Marshall Fields. I think Chicagoans would have been okay with this had they converted only the mall Macy's in the area. Instead, they arrogantly converted the State Street Marshall Fields. I'm thinking the marketing people are brain dead. How in the world can you take such a blatantly New York product and stick it in the middle of Chicago? It'd be like changing the name of Wrigley Field to Yankee Stadium. Although Chicagoans aren't completely anti-New York per se, we sure don't like having our landmarks bought out by a New York conglomerate. As long as Federated and their boneheaded and/or arrogant executives own and run Macy's, expect a further decline.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:51 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Yes, it was a huge deal in Chicago. It was a poor move,and Macys is doing poorly. They should have quietly taken over and left things as is. Marshall Fields was around since the turn of the century and is indeed a chicago landmark. The quality of the merchandise is VERY sub par in comparison. And we didnt go downtown to lunch in the Walnut room this year--not the same vibe.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:40 PM

220 posts, read 1,109,346 times
Quote:
Around here they took over Hecht's. They did away with the coupon sales , A SERIOUS FAUX PAS in this area. I have found very little at Macy's so I don't bother to go any more. At least at Hecht's you could find something. I went looking for polos last spring and was bemoaning the loss of the Valerie Stevens brand. The sales lady showed me the store brand, Club Charter or whatever. I tried one on, well they were made for little old ladies to wear on the golf course in Florida. The sales lady told me I could have them shortened and taken in a bit, huh? Not to mention the price! Now days I only walk through Macy's on my way to other stores. The parking on that side of the mall is great!

Old 01-20-2008, 11:11 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
In all the Macy's stores that I have been to, I haven't found anything that I would remotely think of wearing. It seemed that the clothes either catered to 18 year olds or 85 year olds. There wasn't anything in between. (This was over a year ago in Ca.) No normal clothes that a mid 30's person would like to wear. By that I mean skin-tight clothes with butts hanging out etc....
Macy's has much better clothes than Talbot's, Chico's, White House/Black Market, etc. Those overpriced specialty stores sell Target clothes at Bloomingdale's prices. The clothes are plain and uninspired. Same with Kohl's.

Quote:
Macy's in Houston is a hit. More people seem to be shopping there than when the stores were Foley's.

But this is old news. Would you go shopping at Sharpstown Mall?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:46 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

But this is old news. Would you go shopping at Sharpstown Mall?
Absolutely. Bargains abound at Sharpstown mall. I am from Chicago, and not scared of anything.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:58 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,068 times
Quote:

Yep, Chicagoans are stubborn. I loved Marshall Fields, haven't set foot in there since they converted Marshall Fields over to Macy's. It's just not the same.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:13 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,346 times
Macy's has certainly cheaped out over the years in quality. I remember when most of their offerings were of decent quality -- now the fabrics and cuts are terrible! And I agree that, for the price, there's nothing available that's new or different. Haven't purchased clothes there in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products