U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 08:44 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times

Advertisements

Current number of people affected is unknown.

Malware Based Credit Card Breach at Kmart — Krebs on Security

Kmart hacked - payment systems compromised by malware | HOTforSecurity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 12:28 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,006,263 times
Unfortunately, these kinds of attacks are getting more and more common, and more than likely at least one or two other major hacks are currently underway.

The process of stealing CC info is surprisingly simple. Just pick your target, install malware in the system, let the CC data come in, and then sell the data. The hackers then sell the data on the black market.

From there, making a fake credit card is very easy. Machines that encode the information on credit cards start at only $500. (This is one advantage of the new chip and pin cards: much harder to duplicate, but useless for phone, mail, or online purchases).

This is a perfect example of why, even as a computer science major, only ever use cash in stores. Cash is the most secure payment method out there. When I have to buy something online, I use paypal, no numbers that can be hacked there, and change my password often.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:16 PM

3,857 posts, read 5,383,314 times
This is exactly why I try to use cash everywhere. They can't scan cash in my wallet for info, and if I drop a twenty on the ground, that's all they get.

A few months ago I had a heck of a time getting out of a well-known department store with my purchases with cash. They wanted me to sign up for a store credit card. Then they wanted my email address. Then they told me to be sure and fill out the online survey. I finally said, "Look, can I have this stuff or not?"

Old 10-13-2014, 03:25 PM

73,233 posts, read 85,430,875 times
Using cash is fine but there are times when it either isn't practical or even possible. When you check into a hotel, either you give them a large amount of cash up front, which btw can be stolen or you use your cc. This goes for renting a car as well. I have to admit we do use credit cards and yes, we have been hacked a couple of times, but luckily the CC company has called to verify and not charged us for anything we did not purchase. even if you use pay pal, somewhere along the way you will be giving numbers to someone, either your checking account number, or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or