U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: City Data Land
15,463 posts, read 8,969,043 times
Reputation: 30626

Advertisements

I'm not sure what all the big deal is about stores being open on Thanksgiving. I've worked many holidays. Millions of other Americans do too. That's part of what you have to do to keep a job; show up when the boss says. It's funny how many people are so upset about the unemployment situation, then they complain about people having to work holidays. Besides, not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving. However, I do agree Christmas is too materialistic and I'm glad I only have a small family to buy presents for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2014, 05:10 PM
 
Location: South Florida
1,007 posts, read 889,463 times
Reputation: 1563
The people I know who get upset about the stores opening so early are the family members of the people who have to work because their family member has to miss Thanksgiving dinner. My brother works at a hospital and works almost every holiday so it is not a big deal and we are used to him missing dinner. I also have some friends who like to go out right after Thanksgiving dinner and hit the mall. Some of their family members are also not at all thrilled with this, but the shoppers enjoy it and it's become part of their holiday. You can't please everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2014, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Retired in Malibu/La Quinta/Flagstaff
1,396 posts, read 1,377,986 times
Reputation: 4725
No wife, no children, no family = no present buying. Even when I had the seniority to do so, I worked every holiday and let an officer with a family enjoy the holiday off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2014, 01:41 AM
 
3,279 posts, read 4,201,402 times
Reputation: 6149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm not sure what all the big deal is about stores being open on Thanksgiving. I've worked many holidays. Millions of other Americans do too. That's part of what you have to do to keep a job; show up when the boss says. It's funny how many people are so upset about the unemployment situation, then they complain about people having to work holidays. Besides, not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving. However, I do agree Christmas is too materialistic and I'm glad I only have a small family to buy presents for.
It's because it's tacky to coerce workers into working in a non-essential occupation even on holidays that are about spending time with the family. Why should it be all or nothing--either you work and work whenever no matter what, or you're unemployed? That's a load of nonsense. Employers worth a flip care about their employees and respect boundaries, even if it goes against the wishes of the almighty customer. Chick-Fil-A is a great illustration of this, they actually ask the customers to think of the employees over themselves for a day.

Yes, so firefighters and nurses work on the holiday--so what? Judges wear a robe in court, should all people then have to wear robes? Firefighters have to wear safety gear, does that mean everyone should? It makes sense for something as essential as helping take care of a sick person or putting out a dangerous fire to not be put on hold, but let's be real--is it really going to kill someone to have to wait one day to grab a television or a special kind of bra? If someone is bothered by that that much, they need help, frankly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2014, 04:15 AM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
It's because it's tacky to coerce workers into working in a non-essential occupation even on holidays that are about spending time with the family. Why should it be all or nothing--either you work and work whenever no matter what, or you're unemployed? That's a load of nonsense. Employers worth a flip care about their employees and respect boundaries, even if it goes against the wishes of the almighty customer. Chick-Fil-A is a great illustration of this, they actually ask the customers to think of the employees over themselves for a day.

Yes, so firefighters and nurses work on the holiday--so what? Judges wear a robe in court, should all people then have to wear robes? Firefighters have to wear safety gear, does that mean everyone should? It makes sense for something as essential as helping take care of a sick person or putting out a dangerous fire to not be put on hold, but let's be real--is it really going to kill someone to have to wait one day to grab a television or a special kind of bra? If someone is bothered by that that much, they need help, frankly.
I don't really see your argument here. Black Thursday/Friday is the biggest shopping day of the year. There's a huge demand for stores opening early, as can be seen by the number of people who show up. Retail has to meet the demand of the customers... customer service is critically important in this industry.

I totally understand that people might not want to work on holidays. Those people should not choose to work in an industry where working on a holiday is so critical to the bottom line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2014, 01:32 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
11,121 posts, read 14,796,603 times
Reputation: 25380
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't really see your argument here. Black Thursday/Friday is the biggest shopping day of the year. There's a huge demand for stores opening early, as can be seen by the number of people who show up. Retail has to meet the demand of the customers... customer service is critically important in this industry.

I totally understand that people might not want to work on holidays. Those people should not choose to work in an industry where working on a holiday is so critical to the bottom line.
The demand is not created by the customers, it's created by the retailers who purposely offer limited supplies of loss leaders on a first come first serve basis. It's created by their greed and competition to get to the pockets of the customer 'first' It is NOT a case of the poor retailer having to kowtow to the wishes of the customers.
Frankly many iof the people I talk to would be quite happy not to have to get up in the wee hours of the morning, or forfeit time with family ON the holiday to shop. They follow the bargains, but truthfully I don't think most of them give a rip about the fact that they can get them on a Thursday instead of a Friday, and would probably be just as content to be able to get them on a Saturday instead.
I've been in retail a long time, when I started most place were not open on the holiday and many even closed early the evening before. Over the years the stores have started extending hours and offering more bargains in the hope of drawing more customers in. That race to be 'first' again. Ten years ago working in retail did not mean HAVING to work holidays, that is a fairly recent development.
I agree that in retail that holiday related spending is critical, actually being open on the holiday, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2014, 03:29 PM
 
Location: NJ
1,416 posts, read 3,066,058 times
Reputation: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
No wife, no children, no family = no present buying. Even when I had the seniority to do so, I worked every holiday and let an officer with a family enjoy the holiday off.

That's awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Status: "Free Thinking, humanist, aestheticist available for hire" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
5,174 posts, read 4,108,916 times
Reputation: 4337
We went to Harbor Freight Tools Monday to get some things for my son's science project. When we got home, I noticed that they placed a "Black Friday" ad flyer, showing the items that would be on sale the Day after Thanksgiving. Not much different than last years items, and nothing worth going out for, BUT Come On, it is not even Halloween yet.

And for the record, I do not go out and shop on Thanksgiving. That is the day we (atheists) Stay home and give thanks (to each other) for all we have, watch football, and drink wine. I would be in no condition to drive when Macy's opens anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2014, 02:16 AM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
10,416 posts, read 10,202,322 times
Reputation: 10357
The older I get, the fewer things I want that can be purchased with money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2014, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Old Orchard Beach,Maine
53 posts, read 24,164 times
Reputation: 100
I work in a supermarket which is is not allowed to be open on Thanksgiving,Christmas and Easter. Stores over a certain square footage are barred from opening on these days due to state law. I wouldn't be surprised to see this changed in the future. Personally,I've never had any interest in "Black Friday" and never will,but I think that genie is out of the box and won't be going back in. While I am sitting cozily at home,perhaps enjoying my first eggnog of the season,I will be thankful that I am not working at Macy's or Best Buy waiting for the doors to come crashing open at the stroke of midnight so the shoppers who have been lined up outside for hours can finally get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top