U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Status: "Free Thinking, humanist, aestheticist available for hire" (set 15 days ago)

5,172 posts, read 4,108,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCat View Post
I work in a supermarket which is is not allowed to be open on Thanksgiving,Christmas and Easter. Stores over a certain square footage are barred from opening on these days due to state law. I wouldn't be surprised to see this changed in the future. Personally,I've never had any interest in "Black Friday" and never will,but I think that genie is out of the box and won't be going back in. While I am sitting cozily at home,perhaps enjoying my first eggnog of the season,I will be thankful that I am not working at Macy's or Best Buy waiting for the doors to come crashing open at the stroke of midnight so the shoppers who have been lined up outside for hours can finally get in.
I never wanted to be a Retail Cat, although I would not mind being a Maine Cat, but I wonder if some of the people who work in retail actually enjoy the rush and bustle of certain days? Or is it more of a chore for them? And how many work in retail just because they found nothing else at the time?

I work in medicine and I have spent many holidays working or on call. I am getting to be too old of a cat for that now, I stay home on most holidays and leave the work to the younger ones.

I would not want to spend Thanksgiving working at a store. I would not mind spending half of it handing out food to the needy, for no pay, but the not the idea of spending half or all the day working in a store.

But again, that is why I do not work retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 10:16 PM

53 posts, read 24,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I never wanted to be a Retail Cat, although I would not mind being a Maine Cat, but I wonder if some of the people who work in retail actually enjoy the rush and bustle of certain days? Or is it more of a chore for them? And how many work in retail just because they found nothing else at the time?

I work in medicine and I have spent many holidays working or on call. I am getting to be too old of a cat for that now, I stay home on most holidays and leave the work to the younger ones.

I would not want to spend Thanksgiving working at a store. I would not mind spending half of it handing out food to the needy, for no pay, but the not the idea of spending half or all the day working in a store.

But again, that is why I do not work retail.
This post made me smile....always a good thing I know a couple of people who say that they enjoy retail and some seem to have chosen it as a career. As for myself,I was once an Innkeeper Cat and an Equine Cat(owned a riding stable and inn). Trying to aviod being tedious,I'll just say that life had other plans for me,and I became a Retail Cat in my later years. I work with some(mostly)great people and some of the customers have become friends,but I have little aptitude for or interest in retail,which is why I'm about to become semi-retired. I may stay part-time at the store,in which case I can limit my availability,or more likely I may get a job working with animals. Would that make me a Cat Cat?

Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Status: "Free Thinking, humanist, aestheticist available for hire" (set 15 days ago)

5,172 posts, read 4,108,207 times
Default Stress vs Fun

Black Friday USED to be fun. It was fun at 5 AM when I lived in a town that had fewer people showing up in stores. It was fun when I could go in and buy bikes for $19 and donate them to the Salvation Army angel tree. It was fun when Radio Shack had remote control helicopters for $5. (Fun until about 1 pM on Christmas day when they broke)

But as someone else mentioned, the older I get, there is less and less I want, at least materially.

One thing I do, is buy all the presents for relatives, even my kids, starting earlier this month and by Thanksgiving, the shopping is effectively done. If I go out on Friday morning, and I buy anything, it is extra (like the half price clothes at Old Navy.) Friday mornings on Black Friday can still be entertaining from a bargain hunting point of view, but no entertainment will take me shopping on Thanksgiving Day. And the fact that most of the doorbusters happen now on Thursday ruins the Friday for many shoppers.

SO, by buying early reduces the stress. But it also negates the need to go out on Black Friday which is a good bargain day. And keep an eye on Amazon in November.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:33 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,664,736 times
So far these are the major Thursday early openers.

Kmart 8AM Thursday 11/27
Toys R Us 5PM Thursday 11/27
Walmart 6PM Thursday 11/27
Best Buy 6PM Thursday 11/27
Macy's 6PM Thursday 11/27

For those of you who want to know more about Black Friday or get a jump on the specials, follow this link:
Black Friday 2014 | Black Friday Ads | Black Friday Deals | BFAds.net

Old 10-26-2014, 08:39 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The demand is not created by the customers, it's created by the retailers who purposely offer limited supplies of loss leaders on a first come first serve basis. It's created by their greed and competition to get to the pockets of the customer 'first' It is NOT a case of the poor retailer having to kowtow to the wishes of the customers.
Frankly many iof the people I talk to would be quite happy not to have to get up in the wee hours of the morning, or forfeit time with family ON the holiday to shop. They follow the bargains, but truthfully I don't think most of them give a rip about the fact that they can get them on a Thursday instead of a Friday, and would probably be just as content to be able to get them on a Saturday instead.
I've been in retail a long time, when I started most place were not open on the holiday and many even closed early the evening before. Over the years the stores have started extending hours and offering more bargains in the hope of drawing more customers in. That race to be 'first' again. Ten years ago working in retail did not mean HAVING to work holidays, that is a fairly recent development.
I agree that in retail that holiday related spending is critical, actually being open on the holiday, not so much.
Non-sense. The demand is absolutely created by the customers. When Walmart chose to open on Thursday for the first time, all the other stores that opened on Friday saw a significant drop in the number of black Friday customers in the morning. By that time, People had finished at Walmart and the stores that opened on Friday missed out. Customers showed their demand for wanting to shop earlier by not waiting to shop on Friday when the majority of other stores opened.

The following year when Macy's and Toys R' Us opened on Thursday, they had a significant increase in sales compared to the year prior where Walmart had opened earlier than them. I don't know who you are talking to... but the numbers don't lie. The customer demand is at the store that opens the earliest.

If you work retail, you're more likely to have to work on holidays than if you work in other industries such as banking.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:13 PM

11,097 posts, read 14,788,486 times
I'll repeat- the customers FOLLOW the bargains. Getting them into your store over the competition is the hard part. Offering better bargains and opening the doors before the other guy is how retailers try to lure the shoppers in first. Customers show up because they don't want to miss out on whatever the 'great buy' is. Sure once they are in the store that's where they'll stay to do much of the rest of their shopping. That's why being first to open is so important, but again it is not the customers driving the earlier times, it's the retailers. Put those loss leader limited specials at the end of the shopping day and guess when the crowd will show up?
Ever seen what happened back in the days of the cabbage patch kid craze, or the beanie baby craze. Shoppers would call to find out when a shipment was expected, word would get passed around and wham, the minute that shipment was expected the store would be bombarded with crowds. It's that need to be sure to get there and get your prize before it's gone that drives the shoppers, the shoppers don't care about WHEN. The retailers do.
Those crowds are outside that particular store at that particular time simply because of the bargains.

Last edited by DubbleT; 10-28-2014 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or