Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2014, 06:04 PM

671 posts, read 900,188 times

Advertisements

Is anyone here knowledgeable about retail inventory management software, specifically supermarkets. Do you know what they might use as a program to track inventory, change prices, etc.

What I'm mainly curious about is if the inventory (specifically pricing) can outputted along with other vital information (whatever item numbers and whatnot) to an Excel spreadsheet or something.

I think this is the best forum to ask this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 06:23 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Having been in the Grocery/Liquor Inventory Service trade for 23 yrs and owner for 15 of those yrs was in the physical counting end. We would go to Mkts and count all the mdse while separating High and Low Gross items along with the various Depts therein......Liquor, Deli, Beer, Wine along with other breakdowns I will not dwell in here.

This was during the 1950-70's.

Now with the Bar code they can keep a good idea of what is happening to some extent but still they need a physical count every 13 weeks or so depending on the volume of sales and the size of the Mkt in question.

Small Mom & Pops will do once a yr while a good owner will have an idea of what his stock consists of based upon the purchases/sales . Shelf stock will show a slow or fast moving item and are ordered accordingly.

There are different mark ups. General mdse one % while those I mentioned above will have their own...will not dwell into what they all are here.

As for a spread sheet that would be at the Comptroller level at the main office......that is why a Inventory Service is used.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:24 AM

671 posts, read 900,188 times
Hm... well I was mainly wondering, say I wanted to take a Store's Inventory (Item Name, Item Code, Manufacturer, Size, Price, etc) and upload it to a website so customers could order online... would the higher-ups over at the store be able to provide that info in some sort of spreadsheet (like an excel file) or does the software generally not allow exporting?

I've never even worked retail, so not sure how "up to date" it is, as an inventory export seems like a relatively simple concept nowadays.

I'm not too concerned about how much sale or payment data at this point in the game.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:39 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
What happened in the past and probably still does today. People will go to another chain store in a area with a clipboard and take down the shelf price of certain items so that they are competitive in price.

When doing a Independent store they would not mark the price on the case goods in the back room so I would ask them if they were competitive with so and so store in the area as I knew my retail prices by memory.

Large chain stores buy by the Truck load or by train box car load and the Whlse price will vary....Walmart etc ring a bell?

W/O your getting some background experience and your feet wet in the Industry you will be SOL....I have been there and did my ground work thus speak with experience.

I was a Supervisor with a Inventory Service at age 26 before starting my own business in a wide open field at that time.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Wal-Mart uses RetailLink to track inventory. It's bar-code based, every unique item has a unique barcode, and their vendors can track their items' sales almost up to the minute. In fact, if an item is set up for auto-replenish, the vendor has to track the sales daily, and submit PO's to the buyer for the items needing replenishment. The reports look like Excel spreadsheets and I believe are convertible to Excel.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:12 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
Hm... well I was mainly wondering, say I wanted to take a Store's Inventory (Item Name, Item Code, Manufacturer, Size, Price, etc) and upload it to a website so customers could order online... would the higher-ups over at the store be able to provide that info in some sort of spreadsheet (like an excel file) or does the software generally not allow exporting?

I've never even worked retail, so not sure how "up to date" it is, as an inventory export seems like a relatively simple concept nowadays.

I'm not too concerned about how much sale or payment data at this point in the game.
Google this and see if it helps.

grocery store inventory software

Old 12-22-2014, 07:31 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Many large retailers use JDA as a foundation for day to day operations.

Leader in Supply Chain and Retail Solutions | JDA Software
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products