U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 09:31 PM

105 posts, read 154,835 times

Advertisements

Let's keep this very simple.

1) If you don't like the pay at Wal-Mart, don't apply for a job there.

2) If you don't like Wal-Mart's prices and/or in store experience, don't shop there.

3) If you don't like Wal-Mart's vendor practices, don't sell to them.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Do you people think that Target, K-Mart, Sears, Dollar General and Family Dollar sell high quality, union made American products and pay their workers outstanding wages & benefits? If you do, you are incredibly stupid.

Do you hate Wal-Mart for the fact that many of their employees receive some form of government assistance? Well, how much assistance would these people require if they had no jobs at all?

Do you dislike Wal-Mart because you heard that they receive subsidies? Do you hate the thousands of other businesses who receive the same subsidies and contribute far less in taxes?

Do you know that liberal hero Warren Buffett stated that Wal-Mart saves US consumers between $20-$30 BILLION per year?

Do you know that Wal-Mart lowers grocery prices in an area in which it opens between 8-18%? Would you rather keep that $15 per week ($750 per year) saved at Wal-Mart or give it away?

Do you think that Mom & Pop had a better selection of quality merchandise, at better prices, during more convenient hours, with better parking options and employees paying mortgages and supporting families?

Do you know that CUSTOMERS not Wal-Mart, put competitors out of business?

Did you know that A&P was, at one time, the nation's largest grocery chain, controlling close to 80% of the market, with over 10,000 stores? Where are they today? And does it matter?

Did you know that unionized Giant Eagle and Kroger grocery workers often earn less money and get fewer hours than their counterparts at non-union Wal-Mart?

Did you realize that most of the hatred towards Wal-Mart has to do with the fact that they won't bend over and force their 1.8 million employees to pay union dues?

Don't you see that the UFCW and other unions have an agenda? 1.8 million employees x $50 initiation fee = $90,000,000 to the union-upfront. Then, another $20 per month, per employee, equates to more than $432,000,000 per year? Subtract 10% for the cost of representing workers and 30% for overhead (golf courses, private jets, six figure union salaries) and you leave 70% for Democrat political contributions. THAT, my friends, is what this is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 09:38 PM

3,870 posts, read 3,601,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
1. I used to work there, so I know how crappy they treat their associates. I am still in contact with some of the people I worked with. Its not gotten any better.

2. I have gone there a few times recently - can't get help when I need it. There were no registers open but express, so I was forced to use "self-check-out" because I had too many items but express. Had nothing but issues, hate self check out. Lady wouldn't help me when I needed it.

3. My spouse works for a refrigeration company that services their meat cases. Often meat would sit out too long and need to be disposed of. However, Wal-Mart would not, thus putting it back into the cases. It had really spoiled but Wal-Mart didn't care! Nasty meat could make a customer sick.

4. Wal-Mart, at least a few around here, are firing long time employees (finding false reasons to) so they can stop paying them elevated wages, insurance, and retirement - replacing them with "temps". I'm sure Wal-Mart isn't the only one, but my local grocer is at least much better than this.

5. I know for a fact tire lube and express is NOT to be trusted. Having worked there, having experienced it, too many people have gotten home and nearly experienced a vehicle badly damaged due to that place. It is NOT quality nor do they care.

I agree with the above poster - I don't *hate* them, but I can do better.
Many, if not all, of these claims are simply untrue. I have done business with Walmart for years, have gotten to know some of the employees, and follow the company in the news.

My guess is that the unions vigorously attack Walmart in every online forum, trying to discredit them. There's a war going on between Walmart and the retail unions.

Walmart was innovative in offering a low cost health plan for part timers long before Obamacare came along. They pay prevailing wages; the Walmarts in Massachusetts start around $9 or $10, versus the Walmarts in lower cost of living states where they might start at $7 or $8.

Walmart has been innovative in bringing lower cost goods to the consumer from all over the world. True, they are ruthless and efficient and driven to out compete every other store. This is good old fashioned American competitiveness which last I heard is beneficial to consumers. They do NOT exclude American made goods; they pick the lowest cost best quality goods from wherever they are made. I've picked up quite a few made-in-USA items at Walmarts, in fact.

And so what? Those who criticize them for importing too much should put their money where their mouth is and buy only American made computers and American made cars and American made televisions; and good luck with that.

Many of the arguments against WMT are also directed at MacDonalds. They should pay more and offer better benefits. They should have better service and better products. Well guess what. Successful companies got that way because they offered the goods and services that a large number of customers want, at the price they're willing to pay. Don't like it? Don't shop there, don't eat there.

As for displacing mom and pop stores--give me a break. I've been in countless small stores where the service was terrible, the prices were bad, the selection was poor. I don't miss it one bit. Their business model is out moded and they deserved to go under.

Now Amazon is out competing Walmart and so Walmart is going to try price matching the Internet, so that they can attract business back to the stores. Who benefits? The Customer. That's the way things work.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:00 PM

8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
[quote=bumpus7;37105600]So what ? ? ?

There are million of other employees working for other
stores and companies who draw the same wages and colect, Medicaid, food stamp, etc.

.[/quote

That's true. I have a whole lot of customers who come in wearing their work uniforms and using food stamps. Including Home Depot, Safeway, Fry's, Food City and Walgreen's. So it is obviously not just some Walmart employees still getting them. I think most everyone I know, including myself, are usually getting them when they start there but most will drop off after a while. It's mostly the employees with kids that are still getting them and they are the lowest paid employees as well, for the most part. I think the percentage is actually fairly low. Being a cashier I pretty much know who does and doesn't use food stamps. DES told me that I could still get $16 month with my income when I started there. I told them "Thanks, but no thanks".

I don't like the idea that any employee anywhere has to also rely on government help when I'm pretty sure they'd be happy to be able to do it all on their own. IF they got paid enough to do it...

Old 11-01-2014, 10:01 PM

10,720 posts, read 17,686,896 times
I can't speak on behalf of others but in general I prefer Target to Walmart. The lines at Target are much shorter in my experience. I never have difficulty finding someone in the aisles if I require assistance. Usually, Target employees will approach you if need help looking for something. I can't recall the last time a Walmart employee approached me in the aisle and asked if I needed assistance. In my experience, the shoppers at Target have better manners and treat fellow shoppers with more respect. I also prefer Target's minimalist display. They have less items but they are usually better products and are easily located and identified.

I think there are exceptions. There are some Walmarts that are nice. It truly depends on location. In general, the Walmarts in the South tend to be a little nicer particularly in the suburbs in my experience. They tend to be new, contemporary and have better crowds.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmedpoet View Post
This lady would actually detain people from leaving the store and create a line. She stepped in front of my cart as I put the receipt in one of my bags, asked to see my receipt, and told her no, that it was in a bag. She went through all my bags until she found it. All of my items were in bags. Walmart is NOT Sam's, customers don't sign a contract consenting to a search. What she did was illegal search and seizure, there are no signs posted on WM property warning customers that they will be subjected to such a practice. I called the store manager, regional manager, and even though this practice rarely continues in our area it left a horrible taste in my mouth.

That company has many, many issues they need to work out. BTW, that happened earlier this year and was one of the final things that made me decide that company no longer needed the thousands of dollars I spend.
I guess every store is different. I can't imagine anything like that happening at my store, ever, and if it did heads would roll. I think management has a LOT to do with the way things are done in each store and I am pretty sure I probably have one of the best management teams around. Something like that would definitely leave a "bad taste" in MY mouth and I'm sorry you were subjected to it.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
How employees are treated depends on the store, one store could be great, while the next store could be a horrible working experience. This all depends and starts with the store and manager and trickles on down all the way to the immediate supervisor which can make it a working hell.

Poor treatment of employees is not unique to Walmart, any company can have stores with these issues, including the mom and pop stores.
I agree with you about management. I've worked for some of the most inept, uncaring and, in some cases, downright ignorant managers over the years. Which is probably why I appreciate the management in my present employment. From the GM on down they are just great. They work well with each other and with us lower echelon people. I have yet to feel slighted or like I don't matter and they're always willing to talk about anything. We have a LOT of managers in our store, it seems like. lol But they keep the place running as best they can and do a good job of it. Sometimes I wonder if it's because we have more female managers than male but they're not greatly outnumbered.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:14 PM

141 posts, read 164,981 times
I recently discovered that you can actually buy stuff online from Walmart, and delivery is free if you order over $50.

I did some comparison shopping on items that I usually get from Amazon or at my local grocery store, and I was surprised that Walmart's prices were mostly the same or higher.

What types of products are so much cheaper at Walmart than elsewhere?

Old 11-01-2014, 11:39 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,934,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Many, if not all, of these claims are simply untrue. I have done business with Walmart for years, have gotten to know some of the employees, and follow the company in the news.

My guess is that the unions vigorously attack Walmart in every online forum, trying to discredit them. There's a war going on between Walmart and the retail unions.

Walmart was innovative in offering a low cost health plan for part timers long before Obamacare came along. They pay prevailing wages; the Walmarts in Massachusetts start around $9 or $10, versus the Walmarts in lower cost of living states where they might start at $7 or $8.

Walmart has been innovative in bringing lower cost goods to the consumer from all over the world. True, they are ruthless and efficient and driven to out compete every other store. This is good old fashioned American competitiveness which last I heard is beneficial to consumers. They do NOT exclude American made goods; they pick the lowest cost best quality goods from wherever they are made. I've picked up quite a few made-in-USA items at Walmarts, in fact.

And so what? Those who criticize them for importing too much should put their money where their mouth is and buy only American made computers and American made cars and American made televisions; and good luck with that.

Many of the arguments against WMT are also directed at MacDonalds. They should pay more and offer better benefits. They should have better service and better products. Well guess what. Successful companies got that way because they offered the goods and services that a large number of customers want, at the price they're willing to pay. Don't like it? Don't shop there, don't eat there.

As for displacing mom and pop stores--give me a break. I've been in countless small stores where the service was terrible, the prices were bad, the selection was poor. I don't miss it one bit. Their business model is out moded and they deserved to go under.

Now Amazon is out competing Walmart and so Walmart is going to try price matching the Internet, so that they can attract business back to the stores. Who benefits? The Customer. That's the way things work.
Um, NO, I saw it with my own eyes.
You may not see it at YOUR store, but I saw it plenty over a few stores myself.
Getting on here saying it's not true doesn't make it so.
I'm not saying they don't sell some decent products, not at all.

The OP asked people why they did not like wal-mart, so posters answered.
If some of these posters can't handle that some users do not like wal-mart, they can stay off this thread.

I know personally many workers who are not treated well. I've seen customers who have had very bad experience with TLE, and I've known TLE workers who screw up bad. This is a fact. You cannot get on here and just say "it's not true" and "poof" it's not true.
And the meat getting put back - it happened. You cannot get on here and just say "not true" and it not happen. It happened at a few stores, and that's that.

I never said a word about them displacing mom and pop stores - NEVER in my post. So if you are going to argue that, don't quote me then argue that. I also NEVER talked about Amazon either. Direct those arguements at the proper posters, please, NOT at me, or my post.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:32 AM

165 posts, read 131,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume that you're too young to remember, but for a while, Walmart sold exclusively "Made in USA" products. The reason they started selling imported goods again? Simple - their customers didn't want to pay more for US made goods.

Don't blame the store for giving its customers what they want. That's their job.
I completely agree.

Truth be told, as Americans, it's our fault that we allowed Wal-Mart (and the rest of these big box stores) to become the corporatist, omnipresent, cheap, outsourcing monster that it is today. Had we headed Ross Perot's warning on that "Giant Sucking Sound" 20 years ago and said no to NAFTA and other so-called "free trade" agreements, kept a FUBU ("for us, by us") mindset and fought for our engineering/manufacturing/textile etc. industries instead of giving in to "globalisation", we would have a strong economy where all of our products would be produced here and American big box retailers would have to "give customers what they want."

Old 11-02-2014, 01:41 AM

10,424 posts, read 8,949,158 times
Well ...in a free enterprise system... we all have choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or