U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 12:16 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,255,556 times

Advertisements

I like to shop around for the best prices, and Walmart will price-match almost anyone. I shop at Dollar General infrequently, maybe a few times per year, but I noticed they had the same brand of milk as one of the brands at Walmart, but Dollar General's price was much lower. The next time I was at Walmart, I happened to be buying milk, and remembered the Dollar General price, so I got that brand, and Walmart price-matched it. The main reason I don't shop at Dollar General very often is that their milk seems to be the only thing they sell at a lower price than Walmart. The other stuff seems to mostly be at higher prices.

Also when I shop for office supplies at Office Depot, I often find that the same items are at lower prices at Walmart.

And Walmart will take store coupons from other stores too. Kroger often sends customized coupons based on what you've been buying with your Kroger card. Walmart takes those coupons. Something that sells for $1.49 at Kroger, when you get a 50 cent coupon, is 99 cents there. The same thing at Walmart, with a regular price of $1.39, would be 89 cents there. That's an especially good deal because the coupons are customized, meaning you're getting coupons on the stuff you would buy anyway. Of course if you only buy stuff on sale at Kroger, the customization is going to be lopsided, but it's better than coupons that encourage you to buy junk food you normally wouldn't buy.

Kroger's loss leaders are often amazing, which is the main reason I shop there. But they expect people to buy more than just the loss leaders. But the way I see it, Kroger's loss leaders are a good deal, but most of their other stuff is cheaper at Walmart, so why pay more than you have to?

Walmart has an interesting strategy for loss leaders. Instead of advertising them, they mostly act like they're trying to keep them secret. That motivates people to look for them. Which might be part of the reason why so many people shop there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 01:41 PM

577 posts, read 523,120 times
It's kind of like our love? For the middle east. We really have no love for these Muslims, But their oil?
Wallmart has decent prices. A lot of the stuff is junky. Clothes don't last long. Then, if you think about the people in China. They live like slaves while working in factories with no safety or environmental reg's. Or thinking about American jobs lost to WM. How many small town stores went under. The pay is so lousy at WM that the state has to help WM employees out with food stamps and other benefits. But then again how many full time jobs are there out there?
The people who own wallmart,suck as far as i'm concerned. I try not to shop there.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:42 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,054,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Those who shop at Walmart probably save a lot more on prices than they pay in extra taxes, because part of that tax burden is on those who don't shop there. If they advertised, "shop here and get free money from taxpayers" do you think they would get fewer customers or more?
Food stamps cost American tax payers $80 billion a year. Go ahead and shop at Walmart if that makes you happy, but you are not saving any money. You are just making the billionaires richer. You will pay them one way or another. At the cash register, or through your taxes.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:40 PM

4,682 posts, read 6,621,055 times
Because so many people have been employed there and seen the monster from the inside out. There's a reason the turn over for employees is so high.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:31 PM

881 posts, read 932,948 times
There was an interesting story about Welfaremart trying to make a deal with Snapper lawn mowers. Bottom line was Snapper said no thanks, they couldn't keep their quality to sell at welfaremarts price. The mowers would have to be cheapened to substandard levels (or built offshore). That's how much they value America, couldn't care less about quality or where it's built, just feed the waltons more money.
One thing I found funny was how the welfaremart's executive had lawn chairs furniture for office furniture. Complete BS mind game for visitors.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:36 PM

19,107 posts, read 19,968,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
There was an interesting story about Welfaremart trying to make a deal with Snapper lawn mowers. Bottom line was Snapper said no thanks, they couldn't keep their quality to sell at welfaremarts price. The mowers would have to be cheapened to substandard levels (or built offshore). That's how much they value America, couldn't care less about quality or where it's built, just feed the waltons more money.
One thing I found funny was how the welfaremart's executive had lawn chairs furniture for office furniture. Complete BS mind game for visitors.
Gee Whiz, Look at all the Snapper mowers I found for sale at Walmart today.

Snapper Lawnmowers : Brands - Walmart.com

Guess your other story is BS too.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:38 PM

34,428 posts, read 43,266,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Gee Whiz, Look at all the Snapper mowers I found for sale at Walmart today.

Snapper Lawnmowers : Brands - Walmart.com

Guess your other story is BS too.

Oops.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:03 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,352,465 times
Google tells me it isn't complete BS, snapper did say no thanks at one point but then later said yes for reasons I don't feel like googling.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:41 PM

881 posts, read 932,948 times
THis is the article...

The Man Who Said No to Wal-Mart | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

I had no idea Snapper caved, probably because I never go to welfare mart.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:13 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,352,465 times
There was a story in my local Arkansas news about some local guy inventing a taco plate and getting a deal with walmart, while all this was going on I found the plates being sold on Amazon, I thought that was kind of funny. I think this is them http://www.amazon.com/Fiesta-Taco-Pl...ds=taco+plates

Last edited by ArkansasTgirl; 11-02-2014 at 06:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or