U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 06:38 PM

172 posts, read 223,370 times

Advertisements

Because there everywhere in Virginia Beach Virginia now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 07:18 PM

3,871 posts, read 3,603,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Food stamps cost American tax payers $80 billion a year. Go ahead and shop at Walmart if that makes you happy, but you are not saving any money. You are just making the billionaires richer. You will pay them one way or another. At the cash register, or through your taxes.
Yes this is the standard union propaganda -- that low-wage, low-benefits companies like Walmart are costing the taxpayer money.

A powerful message... except that it isn't true. For one thing, these "studies" (yes, I looked up some of them including that Forbes article), which are written by left-of-center Democratic groups, conveniently leave out the taxes that employees pay. It's as though the United States Treasury would be richer if one million Walmart employees were unemployed. Obviously that's ridiculous and not true.

Walmart says their average hourly rate across full time and part timers is over $11. They offer benefits, 401(k) retirement, and career advancement. They are normal, average jobs, better than some places and worse than others. In a capitalistic free enterprise system, feel free to go work elsewhere, or start your own business, or don't work if that's what floats your boat, and become a parasite on the system.

Walmart claims their percentage of people on food stamps is no higher than in any other business. It's just that Walmart is so large, that the unions focus on them in particular. I tend to sympathize with Walmart, because the unions have a huge vested interest in telling whatever story and making stuff up to advance their cause, which is to take over every store and every business. Sorry, I'm not buying their party line. Why so many people are on food stamps has a lot to do with the overall sick economic climate these past 5-6 years. Under Obama (a Democrat, take note) there have been more food stamp recipients than any other time in our history. That's not Walmart's fault. It has to do with rising cost of living combined with poor business prospects and lack of confidence in the government to manage the economy (or at least leave the economy alone).

I feel no guilt whatsoever in shopping at Walmart's. In fact, as a result of this conversation I'm going to step up my Walmarts shopping. It's inconvenient because the nearest one is a good 30 minutes down the highway from home, but we'll just plan ahead better. Anyway this thread is past its shelf life. There's nothing more to be said, people have made good points on both sides of the argument, and recent comments seem to be just repeating themselves and ignoring the facts that were brought out earlier.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:58 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,352,579 times
^Lol if your going to shop at walmart on principal over some dumb internet thread why don't you just buy stuff of walmart.com instead of driving 30 minutes out of the way.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
^Lol if your going to shop at walmart on principal over some dumb internet thread why don't you just buy stuff of walmart.com instead of driving 30 minutes out of the way.
Thanks for the tip; will do that, too!

Old 11-03-2014, 03:31 AM

6,354 posts, read 5,308,934 times
Snobbery and liberalism, not that I can usually tell the difference...

Old 11-03-2014, 08:11 AM

881 posts, read 933,043 times
Welfaremart would love to have you all believe it's all about the unions, they're a perfect scapegoat or diversion. Bottom line is welfaremart takes but never gives. It's the biggest flaw of capitalism... it doesn't require any compassion. We citizens have to fend for ourselves and make laws against things like Anti-trust and illegal toxic waste dumping, otherwise there is no incentive for a company to do anything except seek the highest profit. Healthcare and other benefits are never going to make a company a profit. So, if Americans cannot get it through work it has to come from somewhere because sick and injured people WILL go to the hospital. Either we can demand the companies that take money from a community give back some to support it OR we can just tax the remaining money that community has.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 AM

37,998 posts, read 46,810,964 times
I hate Walmart because the parking lot is always full, it takes several tries to find a cart that's not bent or wobbly, the groceries are not any cheaper than the nice grocery stores. There is never anyone around to ask questions about a product, and if you snag someone to ask, they have no idea. There are usually several groups soliciting for things in front, which I don't like.
When I was a sales rep for a dairy product, I got to go back to the coolers, and the Walmart back rooms are very disorganized compared to other stores. When employees don't really care, products don't get rotated and they are mismarked. Of course, there are some full time employees who do a good job, but the part timers are a revolving door of uselessness.
I might go to Walmart once or twice a year, if I'm looking for something and its the closest place to get it, but otherwise I avoid it like the plague.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Welfaremart would love to have you all believe it's all about the unions, they're a perfect scapegoat or diversion. Bottom line is welfaremart takes but never gives. It's the biggest flaw of capitalism... it doesn't require any compassion. We citizens have to fend for ourselves and make laws against things like Anti-trust and illegal toxic waste dumping, otherwise there is no incentive for a company to do anything except seek the highest profit. Healthcare and other benefits are never going to make a company a profit. So, if Americans cannot get it through work it has to come from somewhere because sick and injured people WILL go to the hospital. Either we can demand the companies that take money from a community give back some to support it OR we can just tax the remaining money that community has.
Is that you, Elizabeth Warren?

Old 11-03-2014, 10:32 AM

881 posts, read 933,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Is that you, Elizabeth Warren?
Is that you Scott Brown?

Old 11-03-2014, 11:03 AM

7,495 posts, read 9,961,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbear1234 View Post
Because they treat their employees poorly and don't pay them anything. And the quality of some of their items is terrible.
No kidding, I bought towels recently and every time I use them, more of the cloth strips come out and get all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or