U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 11:27 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,655,425 times

Advertisements

about two years ago, I purchased a flat screen tv as a Christmas gift. I paid for it in electronics. I go to walk out the door with it, and the old fat greeter lady stops me asking in an accusatory tone "what do you think you're doing?". I said I was leaving. she treated me as a shoplifter telling me that I was staying there. I said "why, I paid for this?" and showed my receipt. she said that still wasn't good enough. all because they forgot to take off the "spiderwrap" booby trap shoplifting item when I had purchased the item. she brought the store manager and I had to spend a half hour at the customer service desk because someone in electronics wasn't doing their jobs. I showed them my receipt(I paid with a credit card).

that is why I hate wal-mart. that and all of the morbidly obese, welfare scootermonkeys that I have to dodge throughout the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 04:13 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,402,658 times
Costco is the alternative to Sam's Club, if for no other reason then that they are closed on holidays.
Bless them. My Wal-Mart stepdaughter works 16 hr. shifts, basically at gunpoint, on holidays.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:31 AM

20,511 posts, read 20,503,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I hate Walmart because the parking lot is always full, .
That's because everybody hates Walmart so much!

Old 11-04-2014, 07:01 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,352,465 times
^ the DMV is usually packed whenever I go in, people must love the place.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:52 AM

20,511 posts, read 20,503,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
^ the DMV is usually packed whenever I go in, people must love the place.
I would guess that is more a case of having no alternatives.
On the face of it though, it's a witty remark.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:35 AM

850 posts, read 1,104,731 times
So WalMart comes in, and kills off the local "mom and pop" stores with their low prices...

What I'm really hearing here is "Those shoppers are some GREEDY SOBs who don't care about their neighbors, and will screw over anyone just to save a buck...". Funny how those are the same words that they use to accuse WalMart of wrongdoing....

Old 11-04-2014, 11:49 AM

12 posts, read 9,530 times
I hate Walmart because I have shoped there several times between 1997 and 2006 in Germany. I lived only 300 metres away from a Walmart Superstore. The ones in Germany were smaller than those in the U.S. but otherwise very similar to those in the U.S. They looked exactly the same.

1. Walmart was a little bit pricier than most other stores.

2. The prices at Walmart wasn't stable, they constantly changed the prices. One week they rised the price from 1.99 to 2.49 and next week there was a big advertising that they "rollbacked" the price to 1.99. Walmart was very dishonest to the customers.

3. They treated the employees very bad. The employees almost always seems to be very unhappy. They had to wear buttons with "Ich bin freundlich" (I' am friendly). What an idiocy.

4. For a while there was an employee at the entrance that had to welcome every customer. That's probably seen as a very nice thing in the U.S. but in Germany that's very strange.

5. Walmart had by far the worst employees, extremely incompentent.

6. They had 2 store brands, Great Value and an other one, but I can't remember the name (I guess the name was smart price). The quality of the store brand products were so low. I bought once a role of freezer bags, they were so extremely flimsy. I never saw such flimsy freezer bags.

In general I don't like grocery stores were you can also buy furnitures, computers, clothing, appliances and so on. We also have such a chain in Germany, it's called "Real", but mostly low educated people shop there. The apparel there is awful. People who shop there are seen as lazy people. Why should I shop where the low educated class shop? Of course I shop where smart people shop.
Walmart paid very low wages. As far as I know many of the part time employees don't get health insurances from Walmart (but not sure). That's not ok.
It sounds crazy, but I think I get the best value when I shop at stores where the employees get the highest wages. In Germany that's Aldi. The lowest wages are probably paid at those 1 Euro shops. Stupid people shop there and buy products for 1 Euro, that can always be found for 0.59 Euro in every drug store or discounter. For example those 500 ml hand soap dispenser.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:49 PM

5,817 posts, read 9,206,629 times
In my area Wal-mart seems to suffer from poor inventory management. The local grocery chains are rarely out of stock on items however every time I go to Wal-mart they are out of stock on something I want.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:21 PM

824 posts, read 582,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Not always the case. My wife used to work for a company in Massachusetts and Wal-Mart was the biggest buyer of their company products (about 1/3 of their total overall sales were to Wal-Mart.)

Wal-Mart basically told them around 10-11 years ago that instead of shipping their items from Massachusetts to somewhere in the US, all of their goods would first need to go through Guangzhou in China. So, they would either need to ship their items from their factory in Massachusetts to China, where they would then be shipped back to the US, or else they would need to find a manufacturer in China.

Now, there was no difference between the cost to manufacture the product in Massachusetts, as their factory was pretty automated and efficient, vs in China, where the products would be assembled in factories that were much less efficient and clean and without much automation. Zero difference in cost.

However, the company could not afford to ship their items from Massachusetts to China, for shipment back to the US. Their choices were get rid of the US manufacturing and save the jobs of management, sales, marketing and operations, or else go out of business completely. So, they laid off their 400 or so factory workers (it may have been more than that?) and started manufacturing the same products in China.

The company eventually moved from Massachusetts (where they had been for over 100 years) to Tennessee.
Along similar lines:

Transcript | Is Wal-Mart Good For America? | FRONTLINE | PBS
Is Wal-Mart Good For America? | FRONTLINE | PBS

Quote:
HEDRICK SMITH: The Wal-Mart account helped fuel Rubbermaid's rapid growth. Sales and profits soared. Its products were so highly regarded for quality that Rubbermaid was voted the nation's most admired company in 1994. CAROL TROYER, Former Rubbermaid Executive: It's really your peer group, the other manufacturers out there in the world, saying, "This is the company that is really doing it. They're doing all the things right, and they're doing the things that make them very admired– our brand name, our quality, our product development."
HEDRICK SMITH: But behind the headlines, Rubbermaid was struggling to maintain its ambitious growth targets. Then, suddenly, it found itself in a showdown with its biggest customer.
CAROL TROYER: The price of resin skyrocketed. And resin is a huge component of any plastic product that you make. And when we went out with a price increase across the industry to all retailers, saying, "Our raw material costs have increased significantly, We have to get a price increase for our products," Wal-Mart would not take that price increase. They flat-out refused to take the price increase.
HEDRICK SMITH: Other mass retailers agreed to a price hike, and Rubbermaid's CEO flew to Arkansas to ask Bill Fields, head of Wal-Mart stores, to reconsider.
WOLFGANG SCHMITT: They were very public in those days, as you might recall, as were a lot of retailers, about saying, "One of the advantages we, as big box retailers, have is we can put the hammer to the manufacturers and we can give American consumers lower prices."
HEDRICK SMITH: [on camera] So did Fields put the hammer to you?
WOLFGANG SCHMITT: Oh, in his own way, certainly.
CAROL TROYER: I thought it was a vindictive kind of meeting that said, "Yes, you may be Rubbermaid and you're big Rubbermaid and you got the great name and all that, but you're not going to tell us what to do. We're not going to take your price increase, and we really don't care what it does to you."
HEDRICK SMITH: [on camera] So what does it mean to you? Do you lose shelf space? Do you lose volume, to Wal-Mart at that point?
WOLFGANG SCHMITT: Sure. You know, when push comes to shove, their way of disciplining the supplier is to show that, you know, volume can be given or it can be taken.
CAROL TROYER: And they dropped a number of our products for a couple years, just dropped those products. That impacts the company tremendously. To me, it was one of the first signs of the decline of Rubbermaid.
HEDRICK SMITH: [voice-over] I asked a Wal-Mart spokesman about the clash with Rubbermaid because Bill Fields, no longer at Wal-Mart, didn't answer FRONTLINE's inquiries.
RAY BRACY, V.P., Wal-Mart Int'l, Corp. Affairs: Whatever happened there, I'm sorry, I can't comment because it predates me and I'm not familiar with the specifics. But I would just reemphasize that it is not our intent to be bullies as buyers to our suppliers.
HEDRICK SMITH: Wal-Mart's pull-back was a body blow to Rubbermaid. Coupled with lax management at Rubbermaid, it plunged the company into deep trouble. In 1999, Rubbermaid sold out to Newell, a major competitor. By the time I arrived in Wooster five years later, it had come to this, Rubbermaid auctioning off its birthright.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:35 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,171,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
I don't get it. Every Walmart I've been to is rather nice and clean. I can always find what I want and the prices are nice. It's no Saks Fifth Avenue or any upscale store, but it's certainly a lot better than my local Kmart store!

Why does everyone hate on Walmart so much, especially when so many of the "haters" tend to shop there? Is it because a lot of poor people shop there? Is it because the store doesn't pay their employees that much? Most retail stores DON'T pay their employees much to begin with, but these jobs are really meant for part-time supplemental income and/or kids to get their feet wet in the job market.
Well, I'm not one of them. And for me it isn't because it's cheaper, but because they often carry something that I can't find somewhere else (and it happened recently while I was hunting for a particular set of Halloween lights). So if they supply, I buy.

And the store I go to is very, very clean.

You don't hear near the whining about Target and Kmart and I suspect that most of their stuff is from China, too.

It's a status thing. Where I work I had plenty of insight into people when a Walmart was proposed in a semi-ritzy area and it was pretty disgusting. I still remember one honest homeowner who admitted that she "doesn't want 'that store' bringing poor people into their neighborhood". They won their battle. That is, until Walmart bought an existing lot that had been a grocery store, and they set up their own grocery store to the dismay of the neighborhood. Interestingly enough, that was at least 7 years ago and the store is still in business - so people in that area are shopping there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or