U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 03:34 PM

850 posts, read 1,105,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Interestingly enough, that was at least 7 years ago and the store is still in business - so people in that area are shopping there.
and THAT ^^^ is the core "problem" - people continue to shop there. If it was REALLY about saving the "mom and pop" stores, or higher wages for your neighbors, or any of the other excuses tossed out there, WalMart would disappear tomorrow because wouldn't shop there any longer.

But the sad reality is that, despite all the talk about the greedy CEOs and all that, it's the greed of the consumer, placing lower cost above all else, and continuing the shop at the lowest bidder.

The so called "mom and pop" shops, or other local retailers, aren't taken out by WalMart. The consumers are who are signing the death certificates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 04:51 PM

3,871 posts, read 3,603,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
and THAT ^^^ is the core "problem" - people continue to shop there. If it was REALLY about saving the "mom and pop" stores, or higher wages for your neighbors, or any of the other excuses tossed out there, WalMart would disappear tomorrow because wouldn't shop there any longer.

But the sad reality is that, despite all the talk about the greedy CEOs and all that, it's the greed of the consumer, placing lower cost above all else, and continuing the shop at the lowest bidder.

The so called "mom and pop" shops, or other local retailers, aren't taken out by WalMart. The consumers are who are signing the death certificates.
Consumers have found their prices lower and the selection and hours more convenient than what smaller businesses could offer. That's the way of the world.

Once upon a time, there were separate businesses for each type of food. You went to the baker for bread, the butcher for your meat, the grocer for your fruit and vegetables. Then, about 45-50 years ago, they introduced the concept of a supermarket where they sold all this stuff. Then these markets gradually grew into the giant box stores of today which include not just food but cooking utensils, sunglasses, shampoo, etc.

Was life better before? Sure, in some ways it was. You knew the name of everyone you did business with, there was more of a sense of community. I wish it was more like that, than the impersonal box store world of today, and the even more impersonal internet online sellers that are taking over.

I don't think it's greed or a character flaw in people. It's just technology and the inventing of new and less costly ways of doing business and getting goods and services to people. Look if someone can figure out a way to deliver those goods in a small store format again, I'd love that. Invent something!

Old 11-06-2014, 03:47 PM

19,111 posts, read 19,970,850 times
^^ Good post, when you think about it super markets, Sears, Montgomery Wards, JC Penny and K Mart started the beginning of the end for mom and pop stores, not WalMart.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I don't think it's greed or a character flaw in people. It's just technology and the inventing of new and less costly ways of doing business and getting goods and services to people. Look if someone can figure out a way to deliver those goods in a small store format again, I'd love that. Invent something!
I think it's absolutely an issue in the people. It doesn't matter if you're the CEO of WalMart, any other other monster corp, or the little guy making minimum wage - its the same issue....it's all price/cost driven. Quality of service, selection, or quality of goods are no longer an important part of shopping to most people these days, it's just "what's the cheapest?".

No, I don't hate WalMart, though I do tend to avoid shopping there. My dislike of WalMarts in general (and yes, there is a difference between dislike and hate, though it seems many can't make the distinction these days) are largely in the quality of the goods and in the service. Sure, I can buy what LOOKS like the same Wrangler jeans I buy elsewhere for half the cost, but I get well under half the life out of them as well. I buy a pair at WalMart for $25, and I'm lucky if I get 4 months out of them before they're falling apart. I buy a pair at Saba's for $45, and I get a year plus out of them. I can buy a pair of boots for $20, and they're ready for the trash pile in 3 months. I buy a pair of Justin's for $160, and I get years of use out of them, and can resole them several times over. I take my cart full of groceries to the checkout, and see that out of 40 total lines, only 3 of them are staffed, and there's a line 10 customers deep in every one.

But as others noted, it's not just WalMart either. I've stopped shopping at my local Ace Hardware stores as well, as the majority of their products are the same (or even worse quality) cheap Chinese made garbage products that WalMart carries, but at twice the price, and as they're generally only hiring teenagers these days the service sucks too.

On the flip side, I give quite a bit of business to one of the local off road shops, as they do have knowledgeable staff that actually want to help, despite knowing I can get online and get the same parts considerably cheaper and sent right to my door. I buy the majority of my auto parts through a local parts store, as I set up an account with them, and they gladly work with me with some of my odd ball issues or let me rummage through the parts trying to match up something that isn't in their computer. That's not the kind of service I'll get from some place like Rockauto.com, or Amazon (and I'm not wasting weeks doing the ship back and reship other parts routine). These are all things that are worth spending more money to me.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:21 AM

3,647 posts, read 4,333,314 times
I wonder how many of the responses here complaining about the products being made in China were typed on an Apple iPhone, iPad, etc.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:25 PM

19,111 posts, read 19,970,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I wonder how many of the responses here complaining about the products being made in China were typed on an Apple iPhone, iPad, etc.
Not as many as were posted by a Wondoze/Android tablet, computer, etc.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Not as many as were posted by a Wondoze/Android tablet, computer, etc.
Blah blah blah....more people that like to twist what was said. There's a difference between "Chinese made", and "Chinese made garbage".

Old 11-13-2014, 07:10 AM

18,843 posts, read 11,876,494 times
Just last night I was reminded why I hate WalMart. At about 11:45 PM I went into our local WM grocery store to get some items. I quickly grabbed the 4 things I needed and went to the register. Only one was open, and a lady had just gotten there in front of me and she was evidently one of those super coupon people..............her cart could not have held any more items if she tried ! She had dozens of the same item in there and had her little book of coupons all laid out on the conveyor belt, ready to do business.

I looked around for someone to run me through the service desk and a management guy walked past and I asked if he could check me out because it was going to be a long time behind that lady. He said "No, we only have on line open and at 12 midnight we shut the registers down to close out today's business, so it is going to be a long wait." He then just walked away. I put down my items and walked out.

That is what separates WalMart from a store like Publix. At Publix they find ways to make sure you are happy and will do whatever it takes. The same can not be said for WM, they always have an excuse why they can't do something.

Don

Old 11-13-2014, 07:15 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,662,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Just last night I was reminded why I hate WalMart. At about 11:45 PM I went into our local WM grocery store to get some items. I quickly grabbed the 4 things I needed and went to the register. Only one was open, and a lady had just gotten there in front of me and she was evidently one of those super coupon people..............her cart could not have held any more items if she tried ! She had dozens of the same item in there and had her little book of coupons all laid out on the conveyor belt, ready to do business.

I looked around for someone to run me through the service desk and a management guy walked past and I asked if he could check me out because it was going to be a long time behind that lady. He said "No, we only have on line open and at 12 midnight we shut the registers down to close out today's business, so it is going to be a long wait." He then just walked away. I put down my items and walked out.

That is what separates WalMart from a store like Publix. At Publix they find ways to make sure you are happy and will do whatever it takes. The same can not be said for WM, they always have an excuse why they can't do something.

Don
Best way to solve that issue is to use the self-checkout lane. Can't imagine most grocery stores having a full staff at 11:45 p.m.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:50 AM

3,871 posts, read 3,603,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
Saying "it'll be a long wait" to a customer isn't very professional.

If Publix has self-checkout machines then maybe it's a better place to go late at night.

On the other hand, there's been some resistance to self-checkout among customers and that's why Walmart and some other retailers have been getting rid of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or