U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 PM
 
Location: China
3 posts, read 2,998 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

i don't like it.Many products' price is high than others in China.and the quality is so so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2014, 10:07 AM
 
10,702 posts, read 9,677,988 times
Reputation: 16521
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
Silly question- any question stating "everyone" is silly. With all the business Wal-Mart does- obviously not too many people hate them!
Bingo!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2014, 10:50 AM
 
881 posts, read 934,457 times
Reputation: 1789
I hate WalMart's business practices, the way they treat their employees and suppliers.
Of course there are many other companies just as ruthless in the quest for profit but, Walmart is probably the biggest and therefore has the opportunity to change the 'climate'. If they chose to pay a better wage and offer benefits I would be the first one to shop there.

If you stop and think about it, we are all only on the earth for a very short time. I believe we ALL deserve to live the best life possible within reason. Those with an opportunity to share a little of what they've accumulated should. Most of us give to charities because, for one reason, we know bad times happen to good people, we share our time, talent and treasure. To say we can all make our own way and each of us has the same opportunity is just not the real world. IMHO, if a child does not have at least one parent looking out for them they are starting at a huge disadvantage, I've seen it as a teacher many years ago.

The mindset at Walmart is to take, take, take and take some more. Perfectly legal but totally against the moral compass of the Christianity I was taught. The Walton's will die billionaires and if they would only share a little of their wealth with their employees we would all have a better time here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2014, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,937,910 times
Reputation: 11390
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I hate WalMart's business practices, the way they treat their employees and suppliers.
Of course there are many other companies just as ruthless in the quest for profit but, Walmart is probably the biggest and therefore has the opportunity to change the 'climate'. If they chose to pay a better wage and offer benefits I would be the first one to shop there.

If you stop and think about it, we are all only on the earth for a very short time. I believe we ALL deserve to live the best life possible within reason. Those with an opportunity to share a little of what they've accumulated should. Most of us give to charities because, for one reason, we know bad times happen to good people, we share our time, talent and treasure. To say we can all make our own way and each of us has the same opportunity is just not the real world. IMHO, if a child does not have at least one parent looking out for them they are starting at a huge disadvantage, I've seen it as a teacher many years ago.

The mindset at Walmart is to take, take, take and take some more. Perfectly legal but totally against the moral compass of the Christianity I was taught. The Walton's will die billionaires and if they would only share a little of their wealth with their employees we would all have a better time here.
I agree that Walmart could certainly pay employees more money. I'm one of them so, yes, I'd like to make more. However, we DO get merit raises every year so it does go up albeit slowly. As for the benefits...Walmart gives their employees way more benefits than the general public has any idea about. And that's for both full and part time employees. It keeps being bandied about that Walmart doesn't give their employees benefits and it's just not true. It's one of the reasons they've been able to keep the union at bay. They are pretty much on board with what a union would ask of them already and I LIKE not having to pay union dues on top of everything else.

In my store alone we have people who've been there for up to 25 years. There are people across the country who've been with them for 40 years, or more. If Walmart was so horrible to work for I kind of doubt they'd have that many stay that long. Every month we get a company magazine and it shows all these people's 'anniversary' for that month. It amazes ME how many people have worked for Walmart for so many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2014, 04:58 PM
 
3,884 posts, read 3,609,674 times
Reputation: 9251
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I agree that Walmart could certainly pay employees more money. I'm one of them so, yes, I'd like to make more. However, we DO get merit raises every year so it does go up albeit slowly. As for the benefits...Walmart gives their employees way more benefits than the general public has any idea about. And that's for both full and part time employees. It keeps being bandied about that Walmart doesn't give their employees benefits and it's just not true. It's one of the reasons they've been able to keep the union at bay. They are pretty much on board with what a union would ask of them already and I LIKE not having to pay union dues on top of everything else.

In my store alone we have people who've been there for up to 25 years. There are people across the country who've been with them for 40 years, or more. If Walmart was so horrible to work for I kind of doubt they'd have that many stay that long. Every month we get a company magazine and it shows all these people's 'anniversary' for that month. It amazes ME how many people have worked for Walmart for so many years.
The unions and their political allies targeted Walmart for years because of its strong resistance to unionization. They've sought to paint a picture of an evil, predatory corporation, and gullible liberals have swallowed it hook, line and sinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2014, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,937,910 times
Reputation: 11390
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The unions and their political allies targeted Walmart for years because of its strong resistance to unionization. They've sought to paint a picture of an evil, predatory corporation, and gullible liberals have swallowed it hook, line and sinker.
It's not just "liberals". It's anyone who simply believes what they hear/read without finding out the facts of what they are reading/hearing. Once a rumor gets started, and sometimes disgruntled ex employees will gripe about things, the public will believe it, "hook, line and sinker" no matter what. I was guilty of that once upon a time myself until I broke down and went to work there. Oh, and I'm considered a "liberal" because of my voting designation but I'm really an Independent...or a liberal conservative. Not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 02:00 AM
 
Location: Washington state
5,605 posts, read 2,938,678 times
Reputation: 17218
I dislike Walmart simply because they pay their workers such a low wage, a lot of them have to have food stamps. People's taxes pay for food stamps. So taxes are being used to support the workers of Walmart because the company won't pay them a decent wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 02:28 AM
 
1,605 posts, read 2,084,179 times
Reputation: 3410
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
To blame a store because a customer's dog takes a dumb is childish and ignorant. I've been in stores where you can tell by the odor in the air, that there is a kid somewhere nearby who took a dump in a diaper but I never blame the store!
Please read my other posts with a little more care. I didn't blame the store. I clearly stated that this could happen anywhere. The fact of the matter is that I have NEVER seen a huge pile of Moderator cut: language in a store before. I am in Walmart for less than 5 minutes and I have to witness this. I was already on edge with Walmart, but this image will be forever associated with the store for me.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-21-2014 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Idaho
2,576 posts, read 2,399,755 times
Reputation: 5466
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Please read my other posts with a little more care. I didn't blame the store. I clearly stated that this could happen anywhere. The fact of the matter is that I have NEVER seen a huge pile of Moderator cut: language in a store before. I am in Walmart for less than 5 minutes and I have to witness this. I was already on edge with Walmart, but this image will be forever associated with the store for me.
I did and a follow up message and you clearly state, "The problem is that I saw it happen in Walmart so now I cannot go back there" and even though you state it is one of many this was the turning point it still implies that you are blaming the store. And I will continue to believe and state if needed that if someone will not go back to a store because someone's dog took a dump is ignorant!


Enough said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 11:04 AM
 
881 posts, read 934,457 times
Reputation: 1789
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The unions and their political allies targeted Walmart for years because of its strong resistance to unionization. They've sought to paint a picture of an evil, predatory corporation, and gullible liberals have swallowed it hook, line and sinker.
I disagree with this.
The only reason workers unionized in the first place was to get a more fair share of the pie.

If anything, Walmart brings scrutiny on themselves by NOT offering wages and benefits to keep it's workers off of welfare, food stamps and welfare medical. (As a fiscal conservative, I truly HATE my tax money paying for THEIR workers)

It's walmart trying to act like a victim of the 'evil unions' that I see. They are petrified of their workforce organizing and asking for a fair share.

It happened at a walmart in Canada and they promptly closed the store. Canada must have something like the NLRB we have here that protects workers rights to organize because walmart was found to be in violation of some law because of the closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top