U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-21-2014, 11:34 AM
 
5,444 posts, read 5,036,472 times
Reputation: 15052

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I dislike Walmart simply because they pay their workers such a low wage, a lot of them have to have food stamps. People's taxes pay for food stamps. So taxes are being used to support the workers of Walmart because the company won't pay them a decent wage.
Grocery stores pay their employees the same low wages. Restaurants pay their employees the same low wages. All the stores in the mall pay their employees the same low wages. Mom and pop shops generally pay these same wages. Do you think every person on food stamps works at Wal-Mart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2014, 12:03 PM
 
850 posts, read 1,109,336 times
Reputation: 1776
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I disagree with this.
The only reason workers unionized in the first place was to get a more fair share of the pie.

If anything, Walmart brings scrutiny on themselves by NOT offering wages and benefits to keep it's workers off of welfare, food stamps and welfare medical. (As a fiscal conservative, I truly HATE my tax money paying for THEIR workers)

It's walmart trying to act like a victim of the 'evil unions' that I see. They are petrified of their workforce organizing and asking for a fair share.

It happened at a walmart in Canada and they promptly closed the store. Canada must have something like the NLRB we have here that protects workers rights to organize because walmart was found to be in violation of some law because of the closing.
Then why isn't the impetus at least partially on the workers themselves to improve their own standing rather than just acting like the victim of the "evil greedy corporations"?

The almost funny part now though is that given how much attention has been given to companies such as WalMart resisting the supposedly strong union movement, I've met far MORE people that want nothing to do with unions from an employee standpoint....myself included, largely from having grown up as a child of UAW worker as well as being a UAW worker myself for a few years. They look at what happened to the Hostess plant that shut down, and saw that they could have possibly maintained a lower paid job instead of ending up unemployed because the union wouldn't back down. They see the unions pushing the auto plants out of their states and into "right to work" states. They see their fellow man being pushed into the unemployment lines because the unions have a mob-like stranglehold in areas, attempting to force businesses into only hiring union contractors that are paid WELL above market averages.

The unions aren't necessarily pushing for a "fair share of the pie"...they're demanding a gross majority of the pie, and often ending up with nothing as a result. While working as a UAW guy, I knew guys running a forklift in the plants...getting paid for more hours than they actually worked..and grossing nearly 100K/year doing it. Yes...they were making 40+/hour....to run a forklift.

I watched my plant get sold off to a foreign company underneath us, all while the union was telling us not to worry, our jobs aren't going away, etc etc. Long story short - we all eventually ended up in a permanent layoff condition. Yep..we were protected real freaking well there. Thankfully I saw the writing on the wall (well, writing on a shipping container to be more precise, lol) early on, and started looking for other opportunities. While many of my former co-workers are now working in McJobs, I'm doing quite alright for myself.

I could have just as easily just pissed and moaned about how much I'm getting bent over, and been in the same position as these people...OR, I could have taken the initiative to improve my own standing - which is exactly what I did, and what many of these people could do as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 02:20 PM
 
3,893 posts, read 3,613,067 times
Reputation: 9276
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I disagree with this.
The only reason workers unionized in the first place was to get a more fair share of the pie.

If anything, Walmart brings scrutiny on themselves by NOT offering wages and benefits to keep it's workers off of welfare, food stamps and welfare medical. (As a fiscal conservative, I truly HATE my tax money paying for THEIR workers)

It's walmart trying to act like a victim of the 'evil unions' that I see. They are petrified of their workforce organizing and asking for a fair share.

It happened at a walmart in Canada and they promptly closed the store. Canada must have something like the NLRB we have here that protects workers rights to organize because walmart was found to be in violation of some law because of the closing.
Some facts that have come out in this discussion and which are available from google search:

1. Walmart wages are average, neither high nor low. Starting wages at Walmart in Massachusetts are around $11/hour. Lower in other states.

2. Walmart offers benefits of all sorts, just like any other large business, and unlike many smaller retailers.

3. Workers at Walmart are free to go elsewhere, start their own business, or rise in the ranks at Walmart if they have the smarts and motivation.

I remember when that Canadian Walmart store closed. It was in Quebec, a notoriously anti-business place, and they basically screwed themselves over by insisting on unionizing. Walmart HQ found some excuse to shut it down. That's how businesses operate; they protect the bottom line and take care of the investors and the customers. If something is not in the interests of the investors and customers, they take action. You would do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 04:09 PM
 
883 posts, read 935,732 times
Reputation: 1789
whenever there is a pro-WalMart response painting a rosy picture of happy employees I have to wonder if it is another WalMart PR scam. Does anyone remember how they got caught 'flogging'? They paid a blogger to write a fake blog! I read sometime earlier this year that someone came forward and admitted he was paid to write pro-WalMart posts on message boards. Makes you wonder if ANY of the "WalMart is apple pie American" are real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Washington state
5,606 posts, read 2,942,031 times
Reputation: 17221
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Grocery stores pay their employees the same low wages. Restaurants pay their employees the same low wages. All the stores in the mall pay their employees the same low wages. Mom and pop shops generally pay these same wages. Do you think every person on food stamps works at Wal-Mart?
Restaurant workers can get tips. I don't know where you live, but when I applied at Safeway 20 years ago, checkers started at $16/hr. I worked at a Mom and Pop convenience store for minimum wage and no benefits, but I was allowed to adjust my schedule for classes, I wasn't treated like dirt, the management stood behind us when we were threatened by customers, and my boss, who didn't have billions of dollars, was not exploiting us to make more money for himself. That makes a huge difference in how you feel about the place you work at. Plus, people enjoyed coming into our store because we took pride in it. How many people here have said they enjoyed going into Walmart?

I am on food stamps while waiting on a disability hearing. So yes, I do happen to know that not every person who is on food stamps doesn't work for Walmart. But you don't think there is something seriously wrong with this country when a person is working full time and STILL has to get food stamps? Did you know that if Walmart were to raise the price of everything in their store by 1 cent, they could give their employees a living wage? Do you think if they were to raise the price of everything in their store by 1 cent, they would do that, or do you think they would take the extra money for themselves.

In a democracy, we have the right to work and earn as much money as we can. The key word is earn. There is a world of difference between getting your billions by earning them and getting your billions by exploiting your workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Montréal & New York area
527 posts, read 577,047 times
Reputation: 338
Most Walmart stores are filthy, cheap quality, actually not that cheap prices, open very long hours, offer crappy wages and benefits to employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 05:20 PM
 
Location: The Circle City. Sometimes NE of Bagdad.
19,185 posts, read 20,009,629 times
Reputation: 49743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Most Walmart stores are filthy, cheap quality, actually not that cheap prices, open very long hours, offer crappy wages and benefits to employees.
You really need to move away from that run down dirty hood you live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 03:58 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,557 posts, read 20,567,310 times
Reputation: 24463
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
whenever there is a pro-WalMart response painting a rosy picture of happy employees I have to wonder if it is another WalMart PR scam. Does anyone remember how they got caught 'flogging'? They paid a blogger to write a fake blog! I read sometime earlier this year that someone came forward and admitted he was paid to write pro-WalMart posts on message boards. Makes you wonder if ANY of the "WalMart is apple pie American" are real.
Sure is a lot 'realer' than the posts that make it sound like Walmart is the only company that pays low wages .
Or the ones that state it offers no benefits. Or the ones that that make it sound like it's the only store that sells merchandise made off shore. Or that it's the only retailer making big profits. Or the only retailer with crowed parking lots.(Always makes me wonder why the lots are so crowed since 'nobody' shops there)
Need I add the posts that blame it for things like somebody's dog taking a crap ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Western North Carolina
5,062 posts, read 8,042,185 times
Reputation: 10871
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I dislike Walmart simply because they pay their workers such a low wage, a lot of them have to have food stamps. People's taxes pay for food stamps. So taxes are being used to support the workers of Walmart because the company won't pay them a decent wage.
To be fair, this is not true of just Walmart. This is true of most companies where the majority of their front line employees make minimum wage or not much more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Western North Carolina
5,062 posts, read 8,042,185 times
Reputation: 10871
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
going to walmart is like going to the dentist, no one likes to they have to.
I agree, but I think a lot of people actually like going there. I know people who go to Walmart almost every freakin' day. I don't know how they can stand it, but everyone's different I guess. It's the same types that stand in long line on Black Friday. They crave crowds and lines and like to be a in them. I hate crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top