U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-22-2014, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
Reputation: 11385

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I disagree with this.
The only reason workers unionized in the first place was to get a more fair share of the pie.

If anything, Walmart brings scrutiny on themselves by NOT offering wages and benefits to keep it's workers off of welfare, food stamps and welfare medical. (As a fiscal conservative, I truly HATE my tax money paying for THEIR workers)

It's walmart trying to act like a victim of the 'evil unions' that I see. They are petrified of their workforce organizing and asking for a fair share.

It happened at a walmart in Canada and they promptly closed the store. Canada must have something like the NLRB we have here that protects workers rights to organize because walmart was found to be in violation of some law because of the closing.
Do you have a copy of the 2015 Employee Handbook? I'm guessing you don't if you really believe that Walmart doesn't offer wages and benefits to it's workers. Yes, they could pay a better starting wage but it's not minimum wage and some jobs DO start higher than others. They pay the same as all the Targets, K Marts and chain grocery stores in a 50 mile radius. And the benefits are likely similar as well.

Walmart workers pay taxes too. Part of that goes to welfare, food stamps and Medicaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2014, 10:39 PM
 
Location: southern california
56,576 posts, read 75,655,775 times
Reputation: 49434
They stay nice for about 2 years then get ghetto discovered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Grocery stores pay their employees the same low wages. Restaurants pay their employees the same low wages. All the stores in the mall pay their employees the same low wages. Mom and pop shops generally pay these same wages. Do you think every person on food stamps works at Wal-Mart?
This is true. As a cashier my customers include people who work at different businesses in town and that includes Safeway, Home Depot, Walgreen's and others. I wouldn't know where they worked but they come in with their name tags on and in uniform. But I'm pretty sure that, just because some workers from other businesses are on food stamps, the majority of their co workers aren't. Same with Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
whenever there is a pro-WalMart response painting a rosy picture of happy employees I have to wonder if it is another WalMart PR scam. Does anyone remember how they got caught 'flogging'? They paid a blogger to write a fake blog! I read sometime earlier this year that someone came forward and admitted he was paid to write pro-WalMart posts on message boards. Makes you wonder if ANY of the "WalMart is apple pie American" are real.
Being a Walmart associate I can honestly say I am NOT guilty of any PR scam. lolol That's funny. Fact is that Walmart has been very good to me and, yes, there are things I'd change if it were up to me. But in the long run I have to say I've never worked for any company that treated me as well as I am now. Or one that actually kept it's promises! Yes, there are people who have had a bad experience working there and a great many of them shouldn't have been there in the first place. Some people are just not cut out for a customer service type job.

It DOES bother me when I read things that I know just aren't true. People...and I used to be one of them!...tend to just believe whatever they read/hear and once a company, or someone, gets a bad rep for something it just never ever goes away. Even if the issue was 'fixed' long ago and not an issue anymore. The rep stays with them so maybe it's not a bad thing for me to defend them. I LIKE my job and I LIKE the company I work for. When I don't like it anymore I'll leave and every associate who works there has the same option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 11:01 PM
 
Location: NW AR
2,438 posts, read 2,221,147 times
Reputation: 2265
I worked at corporate for a long time and then got out of it but I know several upper management people. I had a great kid that waited on me today in the store. Super nice kid. I think the worst human being I ever met was a transport from K-mart Management . He was an as*. He is gone now, thank-God... and has been fired twice by two other vendors. It's pretty hard to get that kind of treatment here but he damn sure deserved it. That was in a five year period by the way... and he was a senior buyer at one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I agree, but I think a lot of people actually like going there. I know people who go to Walmart almost every freakin' day. I don't know how they can stand it, but everyone's different I guess. It's the same types that stand in long line on Black Friday. They crave crowds and lines and like to be a in them. I hate crowds.
There ARE people who go to Walmart every single day. I SEE them every single day. I don't know why they do it but they must get something out of it. Some actually shop and some just dilly dally around the store for hours and some sit on a bench and just watch people go by. I have to say though it's mostly older people who do this. Some younger ones do a little shopping every day but they don't hang around. The retirees seem to use it as a social base. One older guy hitchhikes 30 miles round trip every day and spends the day riding around the store on an electric cart which he doesn't need. Another one does the same thing but he drives to the store. One couple comes in every Thurs. and Fri. afternoon and spends the day sitting on a bench people watching. They were born and raised here, in their late 50s and they DO know practically the whole Valley so I suppose it is social for them. Plenty like these people but a lot more of the 'in and out' ones that come in every day. Kinda like working in a restaurant and they become your 'regulars'. Oh yeah, they don't spend a lot of money either. They'll buy a couple of things. To pay for their 'entertainment' I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So since the government allows deductions equally to all corporations, my guess is that you are independently wealthy, because you obviously don't care if 40 million or 80 million of taxpayer money is used for this.

If you can't see the comparison between what these two people make, then I don't know how to explain it to you.

Yeah, though, let's talk about that school.

What is it about people that they think everyone can just go to school at any time of the day or night and get the classes they need? That all people have to do is wave a wand and free school, with classes that magically adjust to your schedule, will suddenly appear, and all you have to do is attend a couple months and hey! there's those wonderful skills that will get you a job paying a living wage, about $108,000/year or more where I live.

Reality check. Let's take community college. When I was attending, classes ran two nights a week, three if you took a class that required a lab. Those classes started at 7pm and ended at 10pm. If your job has you working till 7:30 or 8pm and they don't let you leave early for classes, you're just plain out of luck. So the most you could take and still have time for homework was two classes a semester. That made for 4 classes a year, when full time students going during the day could take that many in one semester. So a 2 year certificate for a night student is going to take this person 4 years, provided she doesn't miss more than two classes a semester because of car trouble or sick kids, which will put her out of the class. Or because some classes which run consecutively only start in the spring semester, which means if you finish one, you have to till the next spring semester to take the second part.

And of course, there are those certificates that require classes which are never offered during the evening. When I studied court reporting, which is a lucrative field, I had to quit my job and work nights (6pm to 2am) because the classes were only offered during the day. So what is a mother, who is already putting her children in daycare while she goes to school, supposed to with her kids from dinnertime till 2am?

You can complain all you want about her not having a husband, but it isn't going to change the fact that the kids are there and their mother needs someone to look after them while she works and goes to school. And here again, people complain all the time about welfare mothers with kids and no husband, but here is this woman working and people are STILL complaining.

I guess the problem here is not that this woman has kids, or has no husband, or has to work a low wage job, The thing that most people can't forgive her for is simply not being rich. And because she's not rich, she can't get away with the behaviors that rich CEOs can get away with. Welfare is welfare, whether it's food stamps or government tax cuts for corporations. But if you're poor and getting welfare, you get called names and treated like dirt. If you're rich and taking welfare, you can no wrong and you can get away with just about anything, short of murder. And maybe even that.

Well, this is way off the topic. But what the OP asked was, "Why does everyone hate Walmart?", ONE of my answers is right there in that "propaganda", which happens to be true propaganda, whether you like it or not.
I can really only comment on the education/school part of this but it's one more reason that working for Walmart isn't so bad. They DO give associates education assistance, if they apply and get approved, and they DO work with them as far as scheduling. I know several of the younger kids at work who are going to school and a couple of older people as well. They will also work with people who are caregivers for their elderly parents/spouse so they have a workable schedule. Enough people have open availability that they can work it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 11:39 PM
 
Location: NW AR
2,438 posts, read 2,221,147 times
Reputation: 2265
This is the newest model and it's in Huntsville Arkansas. The store is the first one and is probably what Wal-mart will look like in the future. It's a mini-super center. Lots of pressure in this store right now but as I said, everything is just new at this point. But everyone will start seeing these small super-centers in the future.

video is here:

[vimeo]111709278[/vimeo]
Huntsville Arkansas Walmart Grand opening on Vimeo

IN fact, this one is right down the road from me. ( And I've got at least 15 stores within my route)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
This is the newest model and it's in Huntsville Arkansas. The store is the first one and is probably what Wal-mart will look like in the future. It's a mini-super center. Lots of pressure in this store right now but as I said, everything is just new at this point. But everyone will start seeing these small super-centers in the future.

video is here:

[vimeo]111709278[/vimeo]
Huntsville Arkansas Walmart Grand opening on Vimeo

IN fact, this one is right down the road from me. ( And I've got at least 15 stores within my route)
Watched the video. Couldn't really tell how big the building was but looked like only ONE entrance/exit? Couldn't tell for sure but looked like it. Our store is about 9,000 sq. ft. and is HUGE with three entrance/exits. Small super center...I dunno. Sounds strange. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2014, 11:56 PM
 
Location: NW AR
2,438 posts, read 2,221,147 times
Reputation: 2265
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Watched the video. Couldn't really tell how big the building was but looked like only ONE entrance/exit? Couldn't tell for sure but looked like it. Our store is about 9,000 sq. ft. and is HUGE with three entrance/exits. Small super center...I dunno. Sounds strange. lol
It's small but compact. I haven't been there yet but a good friend of mine is one of the assistant managers there. I work so many hours in what i do.. but I need to get there and rub his bald head! ( lol) He's a sweetie. . Here is the Wal-Mart Gas Station ( in Bentonville) and then I'll find a picture of the Pick-Up Grocery. Pick-up grocery is where you order it online and it is delivered to your car when you get there ( the consumer has to inspect the produce upon buying it) Wal-Mart is going model crazy around this area.l They are testing everything. The little neighborhoods markets.. some of them are backwards on the inside of the store.. Some of them will have the grocery section on the right side and then some will have it on the left and then some will have it in the middle... or half way over to the left. They also watch how you buy things.. so they turn these stores around. Everyone is different somehow. I'll post these pictures in a minute..

gas station


pick-up grocery ( not a very good picture)

http://consumerist.com/2014/10/01/wa...enter-is-here/

http://www.mobilecommercedaily.com/w...031814_opt.jpg

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 11-23-2014 at 12:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:01 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top