U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:51 PM

6,166 posts, read 6,582,076 times

Advertisements

I think it depends where you live to some extent. I hated Wal-Mart when I lived in SoCal. Messes everywhere, out of stock on fairly standard things, rude employees, insanely crowded. I distinctly remember going there one time for two things - cat litter and Swiffer wet wipes. They were out of the brand of cat litter I needed AND the Swiffer wet. Went to the Target down the street - clean, not crowded, they had both of the items I needed. Never went back to Wal-Mart in SoCal for the 5 remaining years I lived there.

NOW, that being said, since moving to Kansas City I decided to give them a second chance, and have been much more impressed with the quality of the Wal-Mart stores. They are clean, have friendly staff, and are well-stocked. They actually have a really impressive outdoor section and I was able to get a lot of items for an upcoming backpacking trip. That being said, I still much prefer Target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 10:43 PM

5,076 posts, read 8,720,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Some claim the Wal-Mart in their town is a dump and only lower class citizens shop there (not sure how they know this unless they're shopping there as well).
I've heard Federal Prisons are looked down upon as well. People say they're dirty, crowded and full of criminals, but I've never been in one so there's no way to know for sure.

There are no WalMarts near me. The closest ones are at least 2 cities away so it's not worth the trip.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:01 AM

9,557 posts, read 12,496,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
It makes zero sense to pay more at a mom and pop store for the same item that’s made in China vs. any big box store. You may get that warm a cozy feeling that you kept the money local, but that’s about where it ends.

Shopping at mom and pop stores only makes sense if they’re selling on quality.

I don’t hate Walmart but I will not but anything from them. My reason is because of the statement you made, which is false.

Walmart doesn’t buy the exact same things available in other stores. Go to Walmart, pick up some items like a vacuum, toaster, microwave, and a few others. Write down the UPC, model number, and 'whats in the box'. Take that to other retail outlets and compare those to what they have. You may see that on many items, Walmart has a completely different model number.

If you are daring, buy both items and take them apart and compare. That vacuum from a regular retail store may have metal parts where the Walmart vacuum uses plastic, the retainer ring is heavy gauge aluminum, the Walmart model has zip ties. The wires are soldered and shrink tubes, the Walmart model is crimped.

You can see the quality difference when a recall occurs but it is never announced except in Walmart or Sam’s clubs. This is because that lower quality/constructed item is only sold at Walmart. Yes the box looks identical, yes the name is identical, yes the packaging is identical, but you can’t see the interior sub quality necessary for Walmart to maintain the lower prices.

Another reason Walmart quality is suffering is because with the increase in online and discount retailers like amazon and others, Walmart’s ability to force low prices on manufactures is gone; they compete for items and pricing pretty much like other major retailers. That’s why they can’t advertise they always have the lower prices, manufactures are not bowing to their pressure since Walmart is no longer the only game in town. So, in order to compete on price and keep certain items low, Walmart has to accept lower manufacturing from suppliers. A mattress topper in one major store may be made from 80% virgin material in a 1st class sanitary facility, while the Walmart product is only 50% virgin material in a secondary emerging market country. You can’t tell the difference by looking at the package because Walmart’s package is intentionally made to look identical (except model numbers and regulatory statements) to the standard quality items.

If people were to apply some common sense they will see these glaring inconsistencies in quality. But most are good americans and buy on price so they never think about these things or when made aware, ignore the facts so they can feel good about their ‘savings’.

I for one will not risk safety and quality when buying products. I also don;t have the time or energy to play "which items are crap?', so Walmart is off my list.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:18 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,660,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I think it depends where you live to some extent. I hated Wal-Mart when I lived in SoCal. Messes everywhere, out of stock on fairly standard things, rude employees, insanely crowded. I distinctly remember going there one time for two things - cat litter and Swiffer wet wipes. They were out of the brand of cat litter I needed AND the Swiffer wet. Went to the Target down the street - clean, not crowded, they had both of the items I needed. Never went back to Wal-Mart in SoCal for the 5 remaining years I lived there.

NOW, that being said, since moving to Kansas City I decided to give them a second chance, and have been much more impressed with the quality of the Wal-Mart stores. They are clean, have friendly staff, and are well-stocked. They actually have a really impressive outdoor section and I was able to get a lot of items for an upcoming backpacking trip. That being said, I still much prefer Target.
^^This just validates that some areas are just cleaner than others. Am so thankful I don't live in an area where stores and workers could care less.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:18 AM

559 posts, read 732,231 times
I hate all big box store parking lots, that alone is enough to keep me away. I don't really have any problem shopping there myself but usually there aren't any nearby. And yes, the few I've been to in my region are always lower class, the exception was the one super that I shopped at in Kansas City, but again it was always a question of whether or not I was up to dealing with the parking headache, usually I wasn't.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:23 AM

3,753 posts, read 9,999,352 times
Walmart is simply a retail store, just like tens of thousands of other retail stores across the country. Because they are a retail store, they pay the same wages as other retail stores, which is to say, not generally a whole lot.

Walmart gets criticized because they make "billions" of dollars. Well if you added up all of the profits from those small shops, you would probably be in a similar profit. Walmart has thousands of stores worldwide, which contribute to that profit.

However, after you have been at a Walmart and observed the employees, do you really think most of those employees deserve to be making $15+ per hour? I truly believe Walmart is actually doing us taxpayers a huge favor by hiring people that wouldn't otherwise have a job to begin with, thus saving us taxpayers even more money on additional welfare benefits.

On a side note, how many of those small shops pay as much per hour as Walmart does? Maybe none? If they did, why wouldn't those Walmart employees leave to go work at those small shops, instead?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:54 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,733,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800
Why Does Everyone Hate Walmart?
I have no clue!!

I have found some good items there and the staff members are nice also

Old 10-30-2014, 02:44 AM

447 posts, read 480,143 times
Clean walmarts? Depends on where they are located in boise we had a clean walmart and it was in a according to friends of mine "yuppy" part of town and the prices were higher than other walmarts in town. I shopped there because I felt more comfortable it was cleaner had certain items I liked others didnt and I liked the people that shopped and worked there better.

That said I avoid walmart most of the time because I like to support local businesses having a long family history of owning small businesses and working for them as well. The walmart here in my small california town is filthy overcrowded understocked often on many items just poorly ran in general. Much of this seems to be a matter of the class of shoppers though I've found it worth it when I can afford to do so to shop at stores like bel air raleys etc as opposed to places like winco or walmart which are at least here dirty and crowded with people I'd rather not deal with (screaming kids thugs homeless etc)

Old 10-30-2014, 03:40 AM

39,788 posts, read 57,659,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
I don't get it. Every Walmart I've been to is rather nice and clean. I can always find what I want and the prices are nice. It's no Saks Fifth Avenue or any upscale store, but it's certainly a lot better than my local Kmart store!

Why does everyone hate on Walmart so much, especially when so many of the "haters" tend to shop there? Is it because a lot of poor people shop there? Is it because the store doesn't pay their employees that much? Most retail stores DON'T pay their employees much to begin with, but these jobs are really meant for part-time supplemental income and/or kids to get their feet wet in the job market.
Very simple: the service, the quality of products - from food, to clothing, to kids stuff, electronics, household items - all mediocre, boring, mostly China made junk. Who wants to spend money on junk? The crowd, the Walmart politics especially how they threat their workers, and how they manage "lowest" prices. And not to forget what Walmart did to our economy.

Walmart has stores only in 27 (of 196) countries aiming mostly for the poor and uneducated.
After they tried hard, but didn't do well in many other developed countries - they raised while flag and closed their business. But here lots of people still rave about products they sell...
Walmart Locations Around the World
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:05 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,889,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
A lot of people that dislike Walmart shop there out of necessity. In small towns or more rural areas, once Walmart takes hold, they drive many of the smaller "mom and pop" type of business out because they just can't compete with the pricing. That means that they also corner the unskilled labor market in the area, making themselves one of the areas larger employers.

Then since they've cornered the cheap retail market in the area, your only option is to travel to shop or shop online. So in other words, even though you may have bought X brand underwear your whole life, if Walmart can't strongarm a business deal with them, they won't carry that brand any more and you have to switch. You buy what they have to sell you.

When it comes to Walmart wages, this article says it way better than I ever could: Why Wal-Mart can afford to give its workers a 50%*raise - Fortune

So with the low pay, full time adult Walmart employees have to resort to programs like SNAP. Coincidentally, figures estimate that nearly 20% of food stamp benefits are spent at Walmart. That's quite a racket. Pay low wages, get your employees on food stamps which they then spend in your store. Win, Win for the Waltons.

If you're serious about why people hate Walmart, type that question into a Google search. BAM - Instant reading material for the next week.

Here's a couple to start ya off: How Walmart Hurts the Economy - Small Towns - BusinessNewsDaily

Walmart’s Impact on America | Economy In Crisis

Is Walmart Good or Bad for America? A Debate: Events: The Independent Institute - This is an interesting transcript of a good/bad Walmart debate

I Won -Note - This article is sponsored by the AFL-CIO and the unions have a whole other reason to hate Walmart.
^ This is just the tip of the iceberg for me and why I try like heck not to shop there. I chose to vote with my wallet and vote against them and all they represent. I will pay a few pennies more if needed. (Usually never needed because of a lot of discount stores around me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
propaganda
Facts, actually but thanks for playing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
only white liberals hate walmart

they will tell you this! they will also tell you how much they just loooooove target without you even asking

funny how that works
I don't shop at Target either. There are better discount stores around me that are not large chains. But thanks for the stereotyping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or