U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:49 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,660,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
100 people waiting to be checked out in 4 lanes. Nuff said because that makes no sense at all!

I'm not asking for lighting fast checkout because that's nowhere but GD that's just not right. Walmart has what 30 lanes?

There are never more than 5 open. People do heavy duty shopping so you have 4 sets of people in front of you with a basket overflowing with items and stuff in their arms and 3-5 lanes open? F that and you Walmart.

Target's the same but people don't have that much stuff in the freaking basket.

There's almost always
Probably less items in the shopping cart at Target because prices are too high in that store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 07:52 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,664,736 times
Too long this read this entire thread. Did business twice in 2014 with Walmart. First situation has to do with floor plan. Needs were simple. Needed dog food and lunch. Both were on opposite sides of the store. If you're going to make a supermarket section of a store, then all of it should be in that section (makes no sense that the dog food section was between automotive and house paint sections). Then check out is another problem. Why have 20 registers and have 2 with people and 1 self checkout (worthless if the bag of dog food is 38lbs and there is no hand scanner). Keep in mind this was around noon. dog food now comes from Amazon or Petsmart UPS "Free Delivery". Lunch is anywhere that is not fast food and has a make it yourself section (seems to be supermarkets most often).

Second issue was Walmart.com. Ordered five items, two of which had labels created but were not shipped by estimated delivery date. Called Walmart.com they recreated the order and two days later the replacements arrived. Sounds good except that they have such a long delivery time spread that it takes nearly 3 weeks to fulfill. They seem to send this out towards the end of the window instead of availability. So back to the two missing products, on my order screen it showed as cancelled. A week later the original items both arrived. Its a good thing that these weren't gifts nor need now items. But shipping wise they were terrible and what was worse, all seven items were shipped out on different days and arrived from 7 warehouses.

My Amazon wish list just gets longer and longer where it's worth it to pay for Prime when the items are going to show up in 2 business days.

As to Walmart, they won't be getting any business from me in 2015.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 5 days ago)

15,437 posts, read 8,958,787 times
I've actually changed my mind somewhat about Walmart. I like it more than I used to. I just recognize Walmart's limitations, which are many. I don't buy a lot of things there. I used to attempt to buy all my groceries there, and that was a mistake. Now all I buy is my hygiene products and the odd item or two when I make the trip for hygiene stuff. I won't buy any groceries there except things that don't require refrigeration because I have gotten spoiled food before.

I agree with what others have said about very few registers being open. The checkout lines are always long and I hate self checkout. So I checkout at the garden department. I never have to wait there more than five minutes. I have used Site to Store a few times and it has always worked very well for me. Gf has a Sam's Club membership and the checkout lines are even longer there. We went to Sam's yesterday and there were only TWO registers open. There were at least 10 people waiting in each line with overflowing baskets. We used the self checkout with the two things we had but I'm not going to let her spend money on a membership to have to wait in long lines like that. It's not practical using self checkout when you have lots of items or heavy things. At least at Walmart, we don't pay an annual membership fee.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:55 PM

7,293 posts, read 6,671,220 times
It's kind of a popular culture gossip sort of thing... one person hates on them and it spreads around. Truth be told they are no better or worse in pay than 'mom and pop' stores ... my beef with them is that they don't provide enough checkout lines during busy hours but I suppose you have to sacrifice something to have the product cost $1 less than the grocery store down the road and yes I've compared ... the same items at wal-mart can cost SIGNIFICANTLY less, less than the price hy-vee charges when the item is on sale.

Also other places in town don't necessarily do a better job on the checkout front (except hyvee which does a GREAT job making sure you aren't waiting to check out) I just don't visit Lowes, Runnings, etc. that often. This town, Brookings South Dakota, lacks box stores and is like a bedroom community where you have to drive 50 miles north or south to do 'real' shopping.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:19 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,072,495 times
But they are evry popular by the crowds they draw by pricing which is what their business is about. Most internet hate is by some union or progressive who probably goes to wal mart or how would they know they hate it . Kind of like saying that the increase in internet shopping shows that public hates minimum wages workers; its really that they like the system even with occasional bad experience.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:29 AM

3,149 posts, read 3,610,322 times
I don't. I shop there all the time.
I also shop at Target and Meijer all the time.
I also shop at Kroger and Save-a-Lot, Family Dollar and Dollar General.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:49 AM

917 posts, read 1,085,047 times
I dont mind Wal-Mart, I am more annoyed that they never have enough registers open but I like their prices and the fact that you can price match

Old 01-15-2015, 06:02 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,660,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
I dont mind Wal-Mart, I am more annoyed that they never have enough registers open but I like their prices and the fact that you can price match
I would agree about the number of check-out lanes being closed; however, this is not only at Walmart because at the grocery stores in town it's the same situation.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:42 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,616,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I have been shopping at Walmart for almost 20 years and plan to continue doing so and see no reason to stop now.
Even after reading all the testimonials from people who were/ are living in indentured servitude there. Wow

How does it feel to have no social conscience ?

Old 01-16-2015, 02:07 PM

6,409 posts, read 8,000,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Even after reading all the testimonials from people who were/ are living in indentured servitude there. Wow

How does it feel to have no social conscience ?
Okey-dokey. We'll all stop shopping there. And all those "indentured servants" will be earning...nothing. And since nobody's shopping there, they won't have to restock shelves so the truck drivers who used to deliver the stock won't have jobs, nor will the warehouse workers who load the trucks. Not to mention the manufacturers here and abroad, yes, in China and Ecuador and Haiti and every other place that factors goods for Walmart where we all stopped shopping.

And while we're at it, let's not shop at all the other minimum wage places and throw the lot of them out of work as well. And watch the welfare rolls swell as all those unemployed have to depend on the working people for everything.

My social conscience is doing very well, thank you, as long as no one is being driven to work with chains on their ankles. I will continue to shop at Walmart for those items that I can get at a considerably lower price than other outlets. I also shop at ALDI for some of my groceries. My local supermarkets get a con-siderable amount of my custom. And I even shop at - gasp! - K Mart from time to time. I try to spread it around, don'cha know. (Not Target, I'm not a fan.)

In an economy where jobs of any kind are hard to find, where too many people don't have the option of shopping in the upscale stores, let us not denigrate the employers who are giving people the opportunity to have some income and the pride that comes with earning it, all the while enabling those of us with too much month at the end of the money to be able to afford a diet of more than Ramen noodles and water.

Be very conscious of unintended consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or