U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:00 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Walmart has a tradition from way back of hiring retirees. I hope they keep it up; I'd like to have a job when I'm 80.
I'm 72 and Walmart hired me when I was 68. I LOVE my job but I'd let you have it in a New York minute if I could ever afford to really retire! When I first started working there we had one lady who was 92 and still working. She didn't really do much but they kept her on till she died. She retired from teaching school and went to Walmart putting in another 20+ years! Amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 08:04 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,186,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'm 72 and Walmart hired me when I was 68. I LOVE my job but I'd let you have it in a New York minute if I could ever afford to really retire! When I first started working there we had one lady who was 92 and still working. She didn't really do much but they kept her on till she died. She retired from teaching school and went to Walmart putting in another 20+ years! Amazing.
There is a woman at our Walmart in Tennessee who is very old too...see her walking around ..her name tag says MAMA JO!!! She always mixes our paint...

Old 01-20-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
There is a woman at our Walmart in Tennessee who is very old too...see her walking around ..her name tag says MAMA JO!!! She always mixes our paint...
We seem to have quite a few 'elderly' employees in our store and some of them have been there for a long long time. I am glad that Walmart actually gives us some credit for being able to handle the jobs we do AND they actually let us know they appreciate us. But that could just be my store.

One of the nice things about Walmart is that if I decided to move I can always transfer to any store, anywhere. However, I'd be scared to death that I'd end up in a really crappy store with bad managers, etc.. I'm spoiled. lol

Old 01-24-2015, 09:44 AM

978 posts, read 1,658,550 times
Walmart doesn't bother me at all. If I need groceries and other household items, there's no better place. Most grocery stores have everything besides food items overpriced.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:00 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,442,865 times
Because the Walmart in my NJ town is filled with Hispanic employees who make no effort to speak in English.

What does "que pasa" mean ?

Old 01-24-2015, 10:03 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,637,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
I don't get it. Every Walmart I've been to is rather nice and clean. I can always find what I want and the prices are nice. It's no Saks Fifth Avenue or any upscale store, but it's certainly a lot better than my local Kmart store!

Why does everyone hate on Walmart so much, especially when so many of the "haters" tend to shop there? Is it because a lot of poor people shop there? Is it because the store doesn't pay their employees that much? Most retail stores DON'T pay their employees much to begin with, but these jobs are really meant for part-time supplemental income and/or kids to get their feet wet in the job market.
When I lived in NYC, I never needed or saw a Walmart store. Now I'm living in North central AZ. and have fewer shopping options. I shop Walmart once a week. I can think of a lot worse stores than Walmart. My Walmart store is clean, and well stocked. I see the same associates working, week after week, not a big employee turn over rate. Maybe it has to do with how the manager runs the store, but I've always had a good experience with my local Walmart.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
When I lived in NYC, I never needed or saw a Walmart store. Now I'm living in North central AZ. and have fewer shopping options. I shop Walmart once a week. I can think of a lot worse stores than Walmart. My Walmart store is clean, and well stocked. I see the same associates working, week after week, not a big employee turn over rate. Maybe it has to do with how the manager runs the store, but I've always had a good experience with my local Walmart.
And I assume you are talking about 'my store'. lol We actually have a higher turnover rate than we used to. They over hire for the holidays and then some leave, some stay...for a while at least. The younger ones don't seem to stick around all that long but, yeah, we have people who've been there for years and years. Since the old Walmart opened. During the holidays there were times I'd look around at the other cashiers and not know ONE of them! That was strange.

The manager that was there for a long time transferred to Prescott Valley and we've had another manager for while. She's been great but she left for Flagstaff. She lives there so it makes sense. We don't have a new manager yet and we are more than curious!

Thanks for the kudos!

Old 01-24-2015, 10:57 AM

38,778 posts, read 16,829,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Because the Walmart in my NJ town is filled with Hispanic employees who make no effort to speak in English.

What does "que pasa" mean ?
What's up or what's happening.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:36 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,356,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
That's how I feel about Costco
You hate a company that pays $15 an hour and full benefits?

Old 04-29-2015, 03:56 PM

271 posts, read 466,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Walmart got where they are by being smart businesspeople and ignoring jealous non-performers like this poster who sit on the sidelines and shoot down anyone who is successful.
And you did nothing to refute my point that they use their concentrated GIFTED power to keep others down and finished with an insult, which only solidified my point.

Keep reaching for that porkchop, and maybe, one day, the Waltons will personally stamp your country club invite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or