U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:35 AM

1,293 posts, read 1,033,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If you are daring, buy both items and take them apart and compare. That vacuum from a regular retail store may have metal parts where the Walmart vacuum uses plastic, the retainer ring is heavy gauge aluminum, the Walmart model has zip ties. The wires are soldered and shrink tubes, the Walmart model is crimped.
This is the major reason that I avoid shopping at WalMart; inferior quality, especially for things that ought to be durable goods, whether a vacuum cleaner, a garden rake, or a microwave. My preference is to pony up a few extra dollars for better quality and get better value so that I'm having to replace that vacuum cleaner, garden rake, or microwave sooner than I anticipated.

I honestly don't begrudge anyone else shopping at WalMart. I know that in many places, there isn't a whole lot of choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 07:45 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,413,784 times
I avoid it... mainly because it's always jam packed both in the parking lot and in the store.

Besides... I have other more preferred options closer to home.

Every now and again I'll go in if I feel there may be a deal on a particular item... but those special trips are "in and out".

Old 10-30-2014, 08:06 AM

1,834 posts, read 960,040 times
There's always the "It's socially cool to hate Walmart so I hate Walmart" reason.

I don't hate Walmart the store. I will say that if I go into Walmart in a good mood, I'm almost guaranteed to leave in a bad one. It's the people. I'm not being a snob but seriously, you take people with the worst personality traits a person could have and set them free inside Walmart, that's the Walmart experience.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 AM

28,905 posts, read 47,344,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I think a lot of people hate it because apparently Walmart puts a lot of mom & pop stores out of business... which I guess mom & pop stores were the heart of America and offer more quality. ::shrug::

The one in King of Prussia is a dump and they don't carry a lot of the same things as the Walmart in Trooper carries. I'll shop online, go to Boscov's or some mom & pop store.
Yeah. This is what I hear, too.

I'm not big on Wal-Mart, but I go there. But I don't understand the knock on it putting small stores out of business. You never hear anybody complaining about a grocery store chain putting the local produce stand or butcher out of business.

Here's the thing. The average small merchant 1) Has higher prices, 2) has less merchandise, and 3) has widely varying levels of service. Yet, suddenly, when a Wal-Mart comes to town, everybody treats him as if he is the victim here.

Yet from the time Wal-Mart announces they're building a new store to the time they have the ribbon cutting, those small merchants have a good couple of years to get their acts together. They can sharpen their pencils to drive prices lower, they have work on their product mix, and they can actually learn to market themselves. Instead, most just sit there like deer in the headlights, waiting to get run over.

People aren't strictly price shoppers, by the way. Sure, some to. But most people are more concerned about value than price. So if you offer a decent selection, really good service, treat customers well, and MARKET your store, you can get away with a price 10-15-20% higher and survive. Because people will pay more to not schlep it to the other side of town, fight the crowds, and deal with indifferent service.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:43 AM

88,700 posts, read 3,722,325 times
Walmart destroyed small town American businesses by selling cheap inferior goods and convincing folks that low prices are everything.

Last week, someone told me they now buy all their wine at Walmart because it's the best!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:36 AM

15,209 posts, read 18,487,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Very simple: the service, the quality of products - from food, to clothing, to kids stuff, electronics, household items - all mediocre, boring, mostly China made junk.
What I bought at Wal*Mart tonight.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Facts, actually but thanks for playing!
Facts? Maybe. Cherry-picking to support an agenda? Definitely. Propaganda? Absolutely.

"Thanks for playing."

Old 10-30-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Walmart destroyed small town American businesses by selling cheap inferior goods and convincing folks that low prices are everything.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume that you're too young to remember, but for a while, Walmart sold exclusively "Made in USA" products. The reason they started selling imported goods again? Simple - their customers didn't want to pay more for US made goods.

Don't blame the store for giving its customers what they want. That's their job.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:56 AM

13,819 posts, read 14,049,752 times
Wal-Mart pretty much has nothing to offer from my perspective. I think the only thing I buy there are cheap curtains something like once a decade.

The one near my old neighborhood constantly had multiple cop cars parked on the sidewalks. Oh, the cops shot a guy in the parking lot of the one in my new neighborhood. I'm not someone who gets freaked out by that kind of thing generally, but if I have other shopping options...

The interior is gloomy and chaotic.

The workers are generally not really that thrilled to be there (hugely different from Target and Costco, where I'm sometimes taken aback by how friendly the workers are).

The lines are ridiculously long to check out - there's no such thing as a quick trip.

I try to eat healthy at home (save my splurging for when I'm out), so their heavy tilt towards processed food in the grocery section doesn't thrill me.

The options for home decor are not as nice as they have at Target.

There is nothing I would wear in the clothing section. And it's not like I'm that picky - my wardrobe is mostly Old Navy (and Costco for winter gear).

I am someone who actually enjoys shopping - whether it's the drug store, the supermarket, outlets or a high-end mall. But every time I leave a Wal-Mart, I feel stressed out and jangled.

I used to shop at Ames when I was first starting out - I'm not a snob. Ames geared itself towards the socioeconomic classes BELOW the ones targeted by Wal-Mart. and it was actually quite pleasant to shop there - lots of great bargains and helpful workers, in addition to a well-lit and pleasant atmosphere.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:01 AM

664 posts, read 1,495,098 times
Is anyone here actually old enough or lived remotely enough to remember pre-Walmart small towns? Sure, there were some good mom and pop stores, but most of them could die in a fire as far as I was concerned. They were open until 5PM or 6PM most days, had even more limited hours Saturday, were closed Sunday, wouldn't take anything back unless it was broken, charged extraordinary prices, and basically just took advantage of their fiefdoms. They did just enough to keep some other mom and pop from bothering to compete with them. I'm not the biggest fan of Walmart, but I sure don't think Walmart is any worse than what they replaced in most cases.

Personally, I don't have issue with a well-run Walmart but the Walmart nearest to my house is a craphole. The one 10 minutes further away is pretty nice. But between the two is a nice Target. I usually shop at Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or