U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2014, 05:12 PM
 
Location: The Circle City. Sometimes NE of Bagdad.
19,107 posts, read 19,968,117 times
Reputation: 49619

Advertisements

Long before Walmart, there was Kmart who according to the then Kmart haters drove the Mom and Pop stores out of business.

But wait, in reality the Mom and Pop stores were pretty much a killed themselves off before Walmart and Kmart hit town due to the construction of malls.

This is a interesting read:

Fact Check: The New York Times "The Corporate Daddy"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2014, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Purgatory
6,322 posts, read 4,889,207 times
Reputation: 9774
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume that you're too young to remember, but for a while, Walmart sold exclusively "Made in USA" products. The reason they started selling imported goods again? Simple - their customers didn't want to pay more for US made goods.

Don't blame the store for giving its customers what they want. That's their job.
There has been a Walmart in my hometown since 1985. When was the "exclusive" made in America period? Certainly didn't do a good job of advertising this.

One more thing that no one ever mentions:
We now live in a "throwaway economy." Bad for the environment to say the least. Walmart is one of the greatest contributors to this w it's cheap and "cheap" products that are eventually thrown away. People think they are saving money but they're not. Not if you have to buy an item thrice that you could have bought once. This helps no one in the end and we ALL suffer from that.

Just because it's "what the consumer wants" doesn't mean it is good for society. I could sell Marijuana near a school yard and say "well its what the consumer wants" but it does make it right. And "legality" has the least to do with it. I'm speaking of morality.

Walmart is just not a moral company. They might run a good PR campaign to the contrary, but when you dig deeper, anything and everything they do is self serving and irresponsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Purgatory
6,322 posts, read 4,889,207 times
Reputation: 9774
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
My stepdaughter decorates cakes at a Texas Wal-Mart.
At least she ain't working at a strip club.
Chris Rock said if you're a dad and your daughter is a stripper, you screwed up. I don't feel much different, however. (But strippers don't have to work 14-hr days on holidays and probably have more rights.)
She's worked there a few years, is in her mid-20's, and everytime we talk to her about her pay and benefits and crazy hours and total lack of rights from her boss, she now says "that's the way all jobs are."
Mine ain't. Nor my wife's.
I'm half expecting her, next time we see her, to light up a Salem, pop open a Keystone Light, and start playing Johnny Paycheck records.
I love her and fear for her soul and her future. It's been discussed, although diplomatically so. She's becoming one of the Wal-Mart pod people minions and the longer she stays, the less chance we have of saving her.
Abduction and then intervention, perhaps? I'll rent the van.


When i did counseling with some employees of Walmart many were extremely stressed and some even ended up on disability much in part due to job related stress. (I don't approve of this but it happened. They felt they had no other option.)

All told me that on their very first day, they are shown a film about why unions are evil. And like you say above, they are told that "no one likes their job" and "all jobs are like this." This is why most all employees there are tired, rude and depressed.

My favorite Walmart story (from back when I lived among no other options and pre in-line shopping) is from one cashier who was always very smiley but very quiet. Apparently, if something rang up wrong I was supposed to get it free. I had no idea. But wouldn't you know it, something rang up wrong AT LEAST once an order. She would coyly smile and say, "you get this free." I think this was her own personal quite rebellion. I stopped seeing her after a while.

My other favorite story in the other direction is the fact that they let my heroine addict uncle use my grandmother credit card. He was NOT on the account but just said he was her husband (same last name.) He charged over 20k of items to trade for drugs before he ODed and died. Of course my grandmother didn't press charges. So she files for bankruptcy while Walmart gets it's 20k and my uncle is dead. I don't fault Walmart exclusively, but they were certainly not without sin in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 05:45 PM
 
Location: The Circle City. Sometimes NE of Bagdad.
19,107 posts, read 19,968,117 times
Reputation: 49619
[quote=Rabrrita;37075481]
[color=black][font=Verdana]

If you are daring, buy both items and take them apart and compare. That vacuum from a regular retail store may have metal parts where the Walmart vacuum uses plastic, the retainer ring is heavy gauge aluminum, the Walmart model has zip ties. The wires are soldered and shrink tubes, the Walmart model is crimped.

[color=black][font=Verdana]You can see the quality difference when a recall occurs but it is never announced except in Walmart or Sam’s clubs. This is because that lower quality/constructed item is only sold at Walmart. Yes the box looks identical, yes the name is identical, yes the packaging is identical, but you can’t see the interior sub quality necessary for Walmart to maintain the lower prices.

We did this as part of a quality assurance class project and found that the items purchased were identical in every way disproving what you stated in your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 05:51 PM
 
5,444 posts, read 5,021,172 times
Reputation: 15052
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You've swallowed the union propaganda hook, line and sinker. Walmart is no different than any other big box store, and most retailers in general. They all pay low or minimum wages; they all hire mostly part time and very few offer any form of fringe benefits. Walmart is actually better than most in that regard.

But whatever. If you want to pay more for the exact same things, that's your choice, and I'll be laughing at you all the way to the bank.
I completely agree. I find it funny how people think only Wal Mart pays minimum wage. Do you think that cashier and the mom and pop bakery makes 12 bucks an hour? Chances are, they are part time and make minimum wage as well. Walk through any mall and minus the managers, It is safe to say that majority of the regular employees make minimum wage or close to it. I don't hear anyone complaining about J Crew or the Gap and how majority of their clothes are made in China. People feel the need to pick on Wal-Mart because they are a large organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 06:14 PM
 
4,060 posts, read 4,564,948 times
Reputation: 2861
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
We did this as part of a quality assurance class project and found that the items purchased were identical in every way disproving what you stated in your post.
You'd need a pretty big sample of relevant yet random items to disprove it.

Anecdotally, we lived in a town that only had a Walmart, so when moving away our options were to buy $1.50-2 boxes at Walmart, or $5 boxes at U-haul. We bought some of both - the majority of walmart boxes were completely wrecked after a single move using professional movers. The U-haul boxes we're still actively using 4 years later with nary a dent.

Now, that doesn't show any difference between Walmart and Target or other dept. store (though you could probably do a similar experiment pretty easily). But I do think most of what they sell is disposable crap. Generally you do get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 06:19 PM
 
877 posts, read 1,096,802 times
Reputation: 1156
Uh, because people who shop at Walmart are uncouth and typically lack the manners to shop without being destructive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 06:50 PM
 
Location: The Circle City. Sometimes NE of Bagdad.
19,107 posts, read 19,968,117 times
Reputation: 49619
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
You'd need a pretty big sample of relevant yet random items to disprove it.
In fact we did have a pretty good sample size as the topic was funded by a variety of local business's and manufactures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 06:51 PM
 
4,575 posts, read 4,584,463 times
Reputation: 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I don't doubt your story, but I have to wonder if there is more to it that you and your wife might not be aware of (from Wal-Mart's perspective). I don't know the product, but my initial thought is that China is the main shipping hub for their goods worldwide and they wanted you to ship the goods there and then they would distribute them throughout the world and not just to the US. It also could be that your product is mainly sold overseas and occasionally sold here in the states.

It does suck that the plant ended up laying off 400 people, but business is business. When 1/3 of your eggs are in a single basket, you are at the mercy of the basket being there.
Most of their products were sold in the US - it was a niche industry. They even had their own little section in many Wal-Mart stores. (Well, not exactly a section, but in the crafts aisles, they had company signs displaying their brand name to differentiate them from other products.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2014, 06:53 PM
 
Location: The Circle City. Sometimes NE of Bagdad.
19,107 posts, read 19,968,117 times
Reputation: 49619
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Uh, because people who shop at Walmart are uncouth and typically lack the manners to shop without being destructive
You need to move from where you live if you believe that.:sm ack:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:00 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top