U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 08:41 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,628,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
I don't get it. Every Walmart I've been to is rather nice and clean. I can always find what I want and the prices are nice. It's no Saks Fifth Avenue or any upscale store, but it's certainly a lot better than my local Kmart store!

Why does everyone hate on Walmart so much, especially when so many of the "haters" tend to shop there? Is it because a lot of poor people shop there? Is it because the store doesn't pay their employees that much? Most retail stores DON'T pay their employees much to begin with, but these jobs are really meant for part-time supplemental income and/or kids to get their feet wet in the job market.
Because its popular to hate Walmart publicly. But rest assured, they are mostly still shopping there because of all the reasons you mentioned. Don't get me wrong, there are also a special breed of Walmart shoppers who are a great source of amusement, but mostly its just regular folks who are ashamed of the reailty they are living in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 09:04 PM

366 posts, read 311,243 times
My biggest complaint is not the merchandise, I have bought items there, that are still in great condition years later (shoes, lamps, household items, etc..) My biggest problem would be the crappy service. If I have a question, I don't really want an associate to duck and hide from me. I don't appreciate deer in headlight looks, when I approach an associate in an aisle, or at the cash register.

If I go to the electronics department, I want, God forbid, an employee who is knowledgeable about the products in their department. I don't want three associates huddled around talking and ignoring me, when I need help. That would sum up my issues with Walmart

Old 10-30-2014, 10:03 PM

16,685 posts, read 14,171,091 times
- The Walmart near me is pretty ghetto, to the point they have armed security there. Any other is too far away for me to bother.

- They have a limited selection of products, not worth my time to go there.

- About every time I have gone to one (I have lived before where they were the only game in town), for what ever reason, no matter the state, there are like only four cashiers open and a long line at all of them. One time in the evening I stopped by one, and there was only one cashier open, and the line was very long, I put my stuff back and left (yes, really put back, not threw it on any shelf).

I do not care about the politics of it all, sure, I have my opinion regarding their practices, but it is not unethical to the point I am boycotting them.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:11 PM

16,685 posts, read 14,171,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab23 View Post
My biggest complaint is not the merchandise, I have bought items there, that are still in great condition years later (shoes, lamps, household items, etc..) My biggest problem would be the crappy service. If I have a question, I don't really want an associate to duck and hide from me. I don't appreciate deer in headlight looks, when I approach an associate in an aisle, or at the cash register.

If I go to the electronics department, I want, God forbid, an employee who is knowledgeable about the products in their department. I don't want three associates huddled around talking and ignoring me, when I need help. That would sum up my issues with Walmart
The service is due to company policy, not the employees. The employees are expected to complete XX amount of tasks during their shift, and customer service is secondary, an employee can actually get in trouble if they do not complete their tasks even if they were assisting customers as the reason. So there is no incentive to assist customers. In addition to this, stores have cut down on the number of employees so much, that an employee could potentially be spending all day assisting customers due to the number of customers needing assistance.

Also, and ask any employee/former employee, the amount of idiotic customers is so great, employees develop a Pavlov instinct to any customer needing assistance.

As far as knowledge, they do not assign people based on their knowledge of the products, nor is there any incentive to know anything about the products.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:24 PM

881 posts, read 933,043 times
I hate Walmart and will never shop there.
They pay a wage so low that many of their employees here are on MassHealth... welfare medical. One of the richest companies in the world and I am subsidizing their workforce with my tax dollars.
I think its funny to kid my conservative friends about promoting welfare by shopping there!

Old 10-31-2014, 02:48 AM

9,139 posts, read 8,404,254 times
people keep saying Walmart is so low paid. Retail, is not a high paying profession for most people. Here are the top 20 highest paid companies in retail. Walmart is one of them, and except for a couple they are within a dollar more or less than the others. Also consider how many big fancy companies do not even make the top 20 list.

The Top Hourly Wages In Retail Industry - Business Insider

People keep saying about all Walmart sells is from China. How about the other major retailers, and the fact that a big percentage of their goods are made in China also. One thing to consider, is that Walmart and the other major retailers sell the same brands such as Levi jeans. HP and Dell Computers. Etc., Etc., but Walmart sells them for less money.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:55 AM

5,626 posts, read 5,245,377 times
I only hate 2 walmarts in my area because they have 1 lane open and the line is in back of the store, literally.

I dont mind to shop there though but now its out of the way for me to go to.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:28 AM

1,955 posts, read 3,064,715 times
I don't shop at Wal-Mart because:

I don't agree with their business practices.
Their fresh food sucks balls and is more expensive than WinCo.

Recently took a road trip and had to stop at one for the first time in about 10 years because there weren't any other stores with groceries in the tiny town. Found their food prices were outrageous and the produce looked like it fell off a truck.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:41 AM

18,843 posts, read 11,876,494 times
I occasionally shop at WM, but not often, and dislike it for several reasons:

1) All you get when you shop there are cheap prices. There is never anyone there to assist you and if you do find someone they don't care or know anything.

2) The checkout lines are very slow and long, regardless of the time of day. Plus, at a certain hour they shut down every register in the house to close out that day's business and you have to stand there for maybe 15 or 20 minutes while they do that process and reopen for the next day.

3) A large percentage of the other customers are not what I would call upper class. You see people there who look like they belong in a circus, wearing the weirdest clothes and sporting the weirdest modifications to their bodies. Just last week I saw a lady with bright green hair, she looked like an alien.

But mainly it is the service. I called last week to see if they had 8 x 10 carpets and the lady who answered the phone said yes. I needed one for my shop and went there that night. The biggest ones they had were 5 x 7 and the Customer Service lady said they never have anything bigger than that.

Yep, when you go there you are on your own and all you get are cheap prices. But we Americans did this to ourselves because we chose to have places like WM instead of Mom and Pop businesses that cared and served you well. There are low prices and then there is a thing called value.

Don

Old 10-31-2014, 04:04 AM

59 posts, read 65,268 times
Because they keep watching us on their secret camera's while we are buying items.and privacy is at stake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or