Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 07:54 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I agree, but I think a lot of people actually like going there. I know people who go to Walmart almost every freakin' day. I don't know how they can stand it, but everyone's different I guess. It's the same types that stand in long line on Black Friday. They crave crowds and lines and like to be a in them. I hate crowds.
When I shop at WM (around every two weeks) it's usually around 9 or 10 a.m., M-F, and no crowds, plenty of parking close to the store, no long lines at the check-out. Store is very clean, well lit, shelves are stocked, employees are helpful and friendly.

According to the few on this forum who claim to hate WM, they must live in terrible conditions in their town as they claim how filthy everything is. However, we all have the right to our own opinion, and we all have the right to shop at any store we so choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 09:43 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times

Old 11-22-2014, 11:58 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Americans for Tax Fairness poster
This is a typical sort of propaganda that makes no sense when examined carefully. A law that allows deductions for bonuses tied to performance was passed in 1993 and possibly should be revised or repealed. But it applies equally to all corporations. The posting makes it look as though Walmart gets some special tax treatment, which isn't true.

As for the woman making $8.80/hr, why is that relevant? Lots of people of low skills and low education make that kind of money. If she wants to make more, she can go to school and improve her skills and become a more valuable asset in this economy. Apparently there's no husband in the picture, either. How is that Walmart's fault?

Old 11-22-2014, 01:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Yep; one only has to look at sales figure to know the Wal mart is the most popular in reality.Union as always. I don't see them talking GM and Chrysler were it was direct taxpayer money they got and likely to see not returned. While big banks having repaid; with a profit.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
This is a typical sort of propaganda that makes no sense when examined carefully. A law that allows deductions for bonuses tied to performance was passed in 1993 and possibly should be revised or repealed. But it applies equally to all corporations. The posting makes it look as though Walmart gets some special tax treatment, which isn't true.

As for the woman making $8.80/hr, why is that relevant? Lots of people of low skills and low education make that kind of money. If she wants to make more, she can go to school and improve her skills and become a more valuable asset in this economy. Apparently there's no husband in the picture, either. How is that Walmart's fault?
So since the government allows deductions equally to all corporations, my guess is that you are independently wealthy, because you obviously don't care if 40 million or 80 million of taxpayer money is used for this.

If you can't see the comparison between what these two people make, then I don't know how to explain it to you.

Yeah, though, let's talk about that school.

What is it about people that they think everyone can just go to school at any time of the day or night and get the classes they need? That all people have to do is wave a wand and free school, with classes that magically adjust to your schedule, will suddenly appear, and all you have to do is attend a couple months and hey! there's those wonderful skills that will get you a job paying a living wage, about $108,000/year or more where I live.

Reality check. Let's take community college. When I was attending, classes ran two nights a week, three if you took a class that required a lab. Those classes started at 7pm and ended at 10pm. If your job has you working till 7:30 or 8pm and they don't let you leave early for classes, you're just plain out of luck. So the most you could take and still have time for homework was two classes a semester. That made for 4 classes a year, when full time students going during the day could take that many in one semester. So a 2 year certificate for a night student is going to take this person 4 years, provided she doesn't miss more than two classes a semester because of car trouble or sick kids, which will put her out of the class. Or because some classes which run consecutively only start in the spring semester, which means if you finish one, you have to till the next spring semester to take the second part.

And of course, there are those certificates that require classes which are never offered during the evening. When I studied court reporting, which is a lucrative field, I had to quit my job and work nights (6pm to 2am) because the classes were only offered during the day. So what is a mother, who is already putting her children in daycare while she goes to school, supposed to with her kids from dinnertime till 2am?

You can complain all you want about her not having a husband, but it isn't going to change the fact that the kids are there and their mother needs someone to look after them while she works and goes to school. And here again, people complain all the time about welfare mothers with kids and no husband, but here is this woman working and people are STILL complaining.

I guess the problem here is not that this woman has kids, or has no husband, or has to work a low wage job, The thing that most people can't forgive her for is simply not being rich. And because she's not rich, she can't get away with the behaviors that rich CEOs can get away with. Welfare is welfare, whether it's food stamps or government tax cuts for corporations. But if you're poor and getting welfare, you get called names and treated like dirt. If you're rich and taking welfare, you can no wrong and you can get away with just about anything, short of murder. And maybe even that.

Well, this is way off the topic. But what the OP asked was, "Why does everyone hate Walmart?", ONE of my answers is right there in that "propaganda", which happens to be true propaganda, whether you like it or not.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 11-22-2014 at 07:57 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yep; one only has to look at sales figure to know the Wal mart is the most popular in reality.Union as always. I don't see them talking GM and Chrysler were it was direct taxpayer money they got and likely to see not returned. While big banks having repaid; with a profit.
Possibly because the Walmart heirs make more than GM and Chrysler put together times 10, and Walmart wasn't struggling. If Walmart says they're struggling now, it's only because they will be getting millions instead of the billions they have been used to. Somehow that fails to make me feel sorry for them.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Possibly because the Walmart heirs make more than GM and Chrysler put together times 10, and Walmart wasn't struggling. If Walmart says they're struggling now, it's only because they will be getting millions instead of the billions they have been used to. Somehow that fails to make me feel sorry for them.
Walmart is not too profitable. While I personally think this holiday season will be a good one for Walmart, it's not like they are making incredible profits like Apple or Google. It's a low profit company.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:01 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
I really don't like going there, not for their business model, but because of the crowds and the parking situation. Our Walmart is an old one that has been made into a Super Walmart. There are just some things I can not get at Target or other places and WM has it. Generally, I only go about once every month to 6 weeks. We do go to Sams Club but only about once a month as well. I agree that there is a lot of propaganda about WM that is just BS: however, no company is going to be lily white, even Costco which the libs hold up as a saint. I want WM to do well, I, as well as many many other people, own mutual funds that have WM stock in them and I benefit from it doing well as well as the Walton family.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:24 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
I dislike Walmart simply because they pay their workers such a low wage, a lot of them have to have food stamps. People's taxes pay for food stamps. So taxes are being used to support the workers of Walmart because the company won't pay them a decent wage.
Just out of curiosity, do you know people who work for Walmart and get food stamps? Not nearly as many do as people seem to think. Many employees are getting food stamps when they start working there. I was. Even after I started getting paychecks they said I could still get $16 month but I didn't want or need it. Most people DO go off of food stamps once they start working. The exception would be the single mom with a couple of kids but their benefits are cut too when Mom starts getting a paycheck. And she loses her Medicaid as well, but her kids don't. We have a lot of married couples working in our store and in most cases they have both been there for a long time, like 10 or 15 years. Each of them make good money, they have families but they don't have food stamps. Most of our single/childless employees do not get food stamps and there are a LOT of us too. We have around 350 employees in our store and I'd bet that 'maybe' 10% of them get food stamps. Single mom's with kids. As a cashier who has been there a long time I know who does and doesn't use food stamps.

Since those people are working they are also paying the government to "support" other people, same as you and I do. So they aren't just sucking up the bennies without giving back.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:36 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,612 times
I just got 36 K-Cups for a pretty good price for Christmas gifts. ( three boxes anyway) I went to the new Elm Springs store and it's real nice. Also, went to the Centerton Neighborhood market earlier and then I went to the Wal-mart gas station in Bentonville this morning.. so yeah, I like Wal-mart..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products