U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:17 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
My choice of vehicle is based on: #1/ Where I live:... (rural Mt at the end of a non-maintained --1.7 mile gravel road that is 2.5 miles from the County gravel road, that is 2 more miles from the paved state hwy). a 4WD is mandatory.
#2/: I drive a full size GMC Yukon XL, that weighs approx 7000 pounds the way it is outfitted and carrys 2 Lg size dog travel crates; a "Truck Vault" filled with "sporting/hunting and back-country gear"; approx 1000 rounds of Trap and Skeet loads. Then add the weight of a full gas tank (31 gal) and you've got a pretty good load for that 5.3 L engine. If I've got two dogs & 1 other passenger on a particular trip to MSO, then I'm at approx 7300 pounds.....................thus my overall avg of 15 mpg.
Plus at my age I like having a heavy, well built vehicle (lots of steel) all around me in case some damn fool in a 3000 pound little foreign sedan looses control and ends up in my lane.
Based on your attitude, it looks like an individual driving a 3000 pound sedan should be more concerned about your foolishness on the road. Especially at your age...

The point is that the reckless mileage which results in such an outrageous price to drive to the local store is your fault.

Last edited by NJBest; 11-18-2014 at 01:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 08:21 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,386,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
My choice of vehicle is based on: #1/ Where I live:... (rural Mt at the end of a non-maintained --1.7 mile gravel road that is 2.5 miles from the County gravel road, that is 2 more miles from the paved state hwy). a 4WD is mandatory.
#2/: I drive a full size GMC Yukon XL, that weighs approx 7000 pounds the way it is outfitted and carrys 2 Lg size dog travel crates; a "Truck Vault" filled with "sporting/hunting and back-country gear"; approx 1000 rounds of Trap and Skeet loads. Then add the weight of a full gas tank (31 gal) and you've got a pretty good load for that 5.3 L engine. If I've got two dogs & 1 other passenger on a particular trip to MSO, then I'm at approx 7300 pounds.....................thus my overall avg of 15 mpg.
Plus at my age I like having a heavy, well built vehicle (lots of steel) all around me in case some damn fool in a 3000 pound little foreign sedan looses control and ends up in my lane.
Dude, have to understand and ignore the ignorant to the western living way of life. They don't understand mountains, and the fact that a person might live many miles from most basic necessities and needs an all purpose type vehicle. They drive around in their little cars and think they are saving the planet.

Heck, I drive a Hummer that gets about 8 miles to the gallon and a Silverado that gets about 17 (unless I'm pulling the trailer, and which time it drops to about 12), and I can afford the vehicle and the fuel, and if some moron does not like it, TOO BAD! I could really care about as much as a politician cares about telling the truth!

So let's get back on subject and forget about anyone from NJ

I purchase locally ONLY when it suits me. If the price is close and I need it as soon as possible, then I will purchase locally. But locally includes the big box retailers such as Walmart, Lowes, Sears, Home Depot, Petco and C.A.L. Ranch (local but expanding retailer). Online I will purchase from Amazon, Sears, Target, etc. I'm like you, I go for the best price on the item I want.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:13 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,383,355 times
All these people driving around in big ol' buses.

Anyway, if you don't shop local, soon there is no local shopping. Its happening all over. Either you'll have to pay for delivery, or you'll have to pay more in gas by driving further and further away every year.

Common sense considering the brick and mortars are going under by the thousands.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:29 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Dude, have to understand and ignore the ignorant to the western living way of life. They don't understand mountains, and the fact that a person might live many miles from most basic necessities and needs an all purpose type vehicle. They drive around in their little cars and think they are saving the planet.
Exactly. You people who are ignorant to western living way of life have no idea what the necessities are in the mountains.
Quote:

Heck, I drive a Hummer that gets about 8 miles to the gallon and a Silverado that gets about 17 (unless I'm pulling the trailer, and which time it drops to about 12), and I can afford the vehicle and the fuel, and if some moron does not like it, TOO BAD! I could really care about as much as a politician cares about telling the truth!
It's not that you or some other moron (your words, not mine) don't like the amount you spend on fuel. It's that you complain about the cost of driving somewhere (in this case, a local shop), while purchasing a vehicle that only gets 15 mpg. My Escalade gets 21mpg and can go to every Best Buy that your Silverado can go to. My H1 can go wherever your hummer can go. What's your point?

Frankly if you are complaining about driving down to your local electronics store because the cost of driving a vehicle you chose to buy, you aren't financially savvy.. and you clearly can't afford it.
Quote:

So let's get back on subject and forget about anyone from NJ
Right, you don't want to take advice from educated people...
Quote:

I purchase locally ONLY when it suits me. If the price is close and I need it as soon as possible, then I will purchase locally. But locally includes the big box retailers such as Walmart, Lowes, Sears, Home Depot, Petco and C.A.L. Ranch (local but expanding retailer). Online I will purchase from Amazon, Sears, Target, etc. I'm like you, I go for the best price on the item I want.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products