U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:38 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,386,864 times

Advertisements

Darn, even my dark mind never thought of that!

However, I have always thought it was not a good idea for a store to do it since it can embarrass many of their customers (certainly not me) if they say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 12:33 PM

26,097 posts, read 24,877,134 times
I never thought about their tax write off, either. I've donated a dollar once in a while at a supermarket checkout. It was always at the same small market, small family run chain. I don't regret my 2 dollar annual point of service donations. I also bought Girl Scout cookies when the scouts and moms set up a table there. Any other donations are private.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:42 PM

350 posts, read 379,559 times
Somehow, I'd think it was a wash ... it's on your register receipt, included in your debit or credit card purchase. So they take in as cash and deduct it as a charitable contribution in a bulk payment to whatever charity they collected it for. Otherwise, it would be a huge red flag for an IRS audit, knowingly collecting thousands of 'dollars' and not claiming them.

(By the way, I still never take them up on this and I never feel guilty. I'll give when, where and as much as I am comfortable with on my own terms.)

Old 01-21-2015, 02:02 AM

13,563 posts, read 6,927,019 times
Honestly I feel like I'm being shaken down and have learned to say "no" to those check out solicitations on behalf of third parties. I've been very skeptical about giving to many organizations after reading how much my money (a very, very small amount) actually gets to those in need far too often. Thus, before giving anything, I have to do some independent research first to ensure that I'm giving to a respectable charity and not merely padding the pockets of a charity's employees.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:47 PM

917 posts, read 1,085,047 times
I'll only donate if it's a charity that benefits animals or the Alzheimers Association. But Ive never seen any of those. A while back, a little girl had a bake sale outside a store and all proceeds were going to the Humane Society. Apparently, she asked for cookies/cupcakes/etc for christmas so she could sell them to donate the money. I donated 100.00 and bought a cupcake

Old 01-24-2015, 02:27 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,072,495 times
It really depends on if I want to and its not a charity I give to regularly. But then I never write off charity on taxes because of personal belief.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:18 PM

13,052 posts, read 7,922,671 times
The only times we donate at the store is when its from a bag credit. One of the stores around here, for every reusable bag you use they give you a wooden token. Then as you are exiting, they have three different boxes with a different lcoal charity on each box that you can drop your token into. Then the store matches the donations. Considering it comes off our total bill, I don't really care if the store uses it as a tax write off. Its going to a good cause.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:30 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,402,643 times
We started saying no after the first couple of times and that was years ago. We usually get hit up at Super Wal-Mart and we say no as I look at the giant sign on the wall that tells you the amount that Wal-Mart donated to charity. Last fall we got asked at the grocery store if we wanted to donate a $1.00 for milk and on Halloween, some unknowns without any identification were collecting can goods. We do give canned goods when the mail person collects. We also give to the ones that give out the Tootsie Rolls and firemen if they are collecting for any cause with their boots.

It makes me angry that they use this tactic of trying to shake you down in the name of them "donating to charity" and we all realize that they are trying to embarrass us into giving.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:27 PM

8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We started saying no after the first couple of times and that was years ago. We usually get hit up at Super Wal-Mart and we say no as I look at the giant sign on the wall that tells you the amount that Wal-Mart donated to charity. Last fall we got asked at the grocery store if we wanted to donate a $1.00 for milk and on Halloween, some unknowns without any identification were collecting can goods. We do give canned goods when the mail person collects. We also give to the ones that give out the Tootsie Rolls and firemen if they are collecting for any cause with their boots.

It makes me angry that they use this tactic of trying to shake you down in the name of them "donating to charity" and we all realize that they are trying to embarrass us into giving.
Walmart in AZ donates to Phoenix Children's Hospital and we collect money year round now. We don't have to ask people if they want to donate though. We have umbrellas hanging upside down between registers and people throw money into them. Or in the plastic jars at the register. Walmart matches the public donations.

One day a mom with a little boy about 8 or 9 came through my register and he saw that plastic jar with money in it. He said, "Look Mom! A tip jar!". lol Another day I actually heard one customer say to another, "It's disgraceful that Walmart cashiers have TIP jars!". There's a picture and Phx. Children's Hospital label on them.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:43 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,357,045 times
My husband was asked to donate at the register and was unexpectedly challenged by the cashier when he declined to give to the charity. When my husband told me what had happened, I was surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products