U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 10:40 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,231,834 times

Advertisements

Many of these large on-line sellers tend to push the limits of what is fair and decent - over the years I've purchased a fair number of books myself, and for the most part I've had positive experiences. The exception being BWB, which I now try to avoid. The last book I ordered from them I made sure that the "very good" condition book was not described as ex-library, but that's what I received. In this case, though, they actually refunded in full. Now I have made another round of purchases from other sellers, and so far the results are exceptionally poor -- today I received an "advanced reading copy" while yesterday I received: 1) a "good" condition book that was heavily worn and the cracked (not just creased) in three or four places; 2) a 48-page promotional booklet of the 450-page book I'm certain I ordered. The latter in particular is bothersome because I have purchased a number of books from them, usually somewhat expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 11:01 AM

Fortunately, these issues were resolved...

The latest issue involves a specific title that I'm interested in. I order the book through amazon.ca (from the UK) for c. $1 + $6.49 shipping. It's not a common book so the price is a really good deal. A week or so later the seller contacted me stating book was significantly damaged in the mail and returned to them. They issued a refund. As it happened there were two others listed for a similar price (both also from the UK) - I decided to order both just in case. Even by ordering both I was getting at least one copy for a reasonable price. Well, the expected arrival date has passed, and no sign of either of them... If they don't show up shortly after New Years, which I suspect they won't, that will be three copies of the same rare-ish book that has been (supposedly) lost or destroyed...

Old 01-07-2015, 01:50 AM

Contacted one of the sellers, but only one has replied stating that they would send "another" copy. Since it's not a common book, I went to check the amazon.ca listing and lo and behold there are no less than FOUR copies listed by three sellers (here after A, B, and C) for between 98 cent and $1. One of the books is listed by one of the sellers (A) I bought the second and third copies from, while two of them are sold by the first seller (C) I bought from (ie. "damaged in the mail and returned to them"). Seller (A) has their copy listed on abebooks for $1 and on amazon.co.uk for 0.01. Seller (B), from USA, doesn't have it listed on abebooks (nor amazon.com) but has it listed on amazon.co.uk for 0.25. Seller (C) has neither copy listed on amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, or abebooks. So my option is to wait for the books allegedly mailed already, or to order (all four?) copies of those currently listed, hoping that at least one will get through? (Or one and wait a month, if it doesn't arrive buy another one [provided there's still a cheap copy], etc. etc. etc.)

Old 01-11-2015, 05:33 AM

4 posts, read 4,908 times
That's an amazing "Who dun it" story in itself. Fill it in with some "Fluff" about what's going on in the buyers life and the sellers lives and you have a "B" rated movie!

So many people keep telling me I should stop buying books-yet it's how I escape from overthinking the pace of life we have created in todays plugged in world.

I personally have been using Abe books. I have 3-5 favorite sellers who always have quality books and often times can get hal a dozen (assorted titles) all shipped to me at the same time. I have used other sources yet Abe is my Go-to, and Get-r done, Man

let me know when your movie comes out!

Old 02-04-2015, 03:17 PM

I received a "gift card" from amazon for the two (still) missing books and used it in a purchase of two new books from amazon.ca - earlier I was passing by the side door when behold! there it was on the snow-dampened step... covered with a thin layer of snow. The temp. is just below zero so the snow was beginning to moisten the box. It could not have been there for more than an hour, but had I not seen it or been out, it would not have been long before it started to soak through. This delivery was by UPS. Earlier in the day, when it wasn't snowing, another package had been left on the step by Canada Post. It literally takes five extra seconds to place these packages between the side doors (both would easily fit), and since the car is in the drive and covered with snow from overnight, a quick buzz of the doorbell would have been nice. As used to be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products