U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you shop quality?
I nearly always look for quality when shopping. 12 52.17%
I look for the best price, quality doesn't matter much. 0 0%
Quality varies, it depends what I'm buying. 11 47.83%
I shop for what's pretty/pleasing to the eye, quality doesn't matter much. 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 10:00 AM

276 posts, read 254,419 times

Advertisements

What is it that motivates people to shop for higher priced, quality products or cheaper priced, lower quality products?
I seem to have a propensity to buy quality items. Sometimes cheap makes sense for sure. Items that have a short live span like baby toys (they outgrow them or loose interest pretty quickly).

Other things like cars that will be owned and require maintenance for years; it seems quality would be a consideration. Even power tools that may be purchased once and then last a lifetime versus break/wear out and replaced every 5-10 years.

Cloths? t-shirts from Wally-World stretch out in a few weeks... higher quality $10-$15 a piece t-shirts last for years.

Last edited by Neosec; 11-25-2014 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 11:49 AM

42 posts, read 75,985 times
buy cheap, buy twice......

.....or *I dont have enough money to buy cheap* :-)

Best example for me is a simple thing like screw drivers. You can buy a set for 5,-- or one piece for 10,-- After a few minutes of using quality makes the expensive to a good investment.

Is there a more frustrating thing than a lousy Kitchen Knive?

Bosch (blue ones) and Bosch Kitchen Devices, Makita, Fein, Hilti, Wuesthof, WMF, Thomas Porcellain, HAZET, Sandvik-Belzer, Tefal, Sony, Braun............. most of them are in use for decades now. Every single piece was not *cheap* by the date of purchase, but the costs over the whole period of use ist extremly low. A well engineered and produced thing is allways a great fun to use.

Ironicaly i buy used cars - mostly *wrecks* - at the moment i drive a 15 years old mazda :-)

Old 11-25-2014, 01:38 PM

5,444 posts, read 5,022,305 times
I agree with GuyfromGermany.

Buy quality means that generally you buy just once. The screwdrivers are a great example. Get a cheap set and after a few screws put into walls, you will see metal shavings on the head of the screwdriver. You won't get this on a quality set of screwdrivers.

Cheap can come into play for something that you only use once or twice in a year, but if it is an item that you use frequently, I would rather pay more for a better quality product.

For instance, if you have a kid wanting to learn to play the guitar and you don't think it is something they will stick with, then get them a cheap guitar. This way, when they do stop playing, you aren't out a bunch of money.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:41 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,006,263 times
I have to agree: buy quality.

One special note with tools: I've seen FAR more tools break from improper use than actually wear out. But yes, from my experience, quality tools last a lot longer than the cheap stuff. Been there, done that: bought a set of mini screwdrivers from the dollar store, and I saw shavings within a few uses, and then the heads started bending beyond use. I now use a better set, that has been working great, and no shavings!

Old 12-04-2014, 03:15 AM

9,961 posts, read 19,289,492 times
Sometimes buying vintage and antique gets you better quality than buying new. I have no idea how old the cast iron pans are that I cook with, but they are very old and will outlast me. So, that's buying cookware once for a lifetime and at a very reduced rate since they came from a yard sale. Most of them say "Griswald" on the bottom, although some have "Lodge" stamped on them. Knives are pretty much the same. Extreme high end but bought at yard sales and they will outlast me. Buy solid and you only have to buy once.

Another joy of "vintage" is you don't have to keep updating it to stay in style.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:57 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,700,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
What is it that motivates people to shop for higher priced, quality products or cheaper priced, lower quality products?
I seem to have a propensity to buy quality items. Sometimes cheap makes sense for sure. Items that have a short live span like baby toys (they outgrow them or loose interest pretty quickly).

Other things like cars that will be owned and require maintenance for years; it seems quality would be a consideration. Even power tools that may be purchased once and then last a lifetime versus break/wear out and replaced every 5-10 years.

Cloths? t-shirts from Wally-World stretch out in a few weeks... higher quality $10-$15 a piece t-shirts last for years.
This is simple for me - I buy one thing over another based on the entire cost of ownership - not the initial purchase price. That means for the life of this product I'm going to buy am I better off buying cheap and possibly having to buy that item again one or two more times over the period I intend to own it, or do I buy the more expensive version to just do it once?

For example, if I want a set of screwdrivers and one set costs $10 but I know it'll only last a few years, and another costs $25 but will last 20 years, then I am better off buying the $25 set once instead of having to spend $10 every few years. Cost of ownership doesn't just include the cost of buying products but also the time to research them, going to the store/buying online, or whatever else involved with the purchase. Time is money, too...

My current project has been with dog toys. We got a puppy recently who was 3 months old when we got her. I bought a mixture of toys to see which ones would last how long, etc. In one case I found out the $2 red rubber bone lasted all of 45mins when the $8 blue bone lasted 2 months. I'm going to get a couple more blue bones next time.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:23 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,737,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec
Quality but today THEY RIP YOU OFF FOR "QUALITY" which is sad........ In the 80s you could get GOOD QUALITY and not be ripped...

Old 12-08-2014, 08:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,844 posts, read 56,221,985 times
I have yet to find anything of poor quality at Costco, and they have good prices, and great return policies. I get most of my clothing there. Cheaper stores like Walmart and Target are only good for name brand items. When it comes to meat, I'll go to an actual meat market and see what's on sale or a higher end supermarket. I have many tools, many are more expensive, high quality, but the cheap ones sold at Harbor Freight can be so cheap that you come out ahead even replacing them once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or