Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 05:58 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times

Advertisements

Interesting. The OP wants this thread to be about customer satisfaction and loyalty. But doesn't see that loyalty goes two ways.

The business has provided the OP with good service for years. One 10 cent incident and the OP writes to management, throws an online fit, and takes their business elsewhere. Over 10 cents. Hasn't the business earned the OP's good will every bit as much as the OP feels they deserve a break for their longterm patronage? Where is the OP's loyalty for the business MANY good transactions?

I wish I had a witty comment to make here. I seem to of run dry in that department for the moment.

I am sure the OP will shortly make a comment that provides me a re-supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 06:05 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,766,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And you would know this how?
Some people are just too much trouble for the worth.

I, personally, have turned down jobs with certain people because my prior experiences with them had taught me I no longer wanted to deal with them, no matter how much they paid me for my experience.

Since I have done that, my work life has been much more stress-free.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:03 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Interesting. The OP wants this thread to be about customer satisfaction and loyalty. But doesn't see that loyalty goes two ways.

The business has provided the OP with good service for years. One 10 cent incident and the OP writes to management, throws an online fit, and takes their business elsewhere. Over 10 cents. Hasn't the business earned the OP's good will every bit as much as the OP feels they deserve a break for their longterm patronage? Where is the OP's loyalty for the business MANY good transactions?

I wish I had a witty comment to make here. I seem to of run dry in that department for the moment.

I am sure the OP will shortly make a comment that provides me a re-supply.
Let's be fair here, Keim. He didn't "throw a fit". He posted a thread for discussion. That is, after all, why we're here. Clearly it's kept you entertained for some time, so give him credit for that.
Secondly, you presume a retailer/customer relationship to be an equal one. It is not. The OP has shown loyalty to this business by continuing to patronize it for years, despite having several other options. After years of loyalty, the OP asked nothing more of them but for a one-time loan of 10 cents for a 24 hour period. 10 CENTS! They refused. You honestly can't understand why the OP would be peeved by this?

Old 12-08-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Let's be fair here, Keim. He didn't "throw a fit". He posted a thread for discussion. That is, after all, why we're here. Clearly it's kept you entertained for some time, so give him credit for that.
Secondly, you presume a retailer/customer relationship to be an equal one. It is not. The OP has shown loyalty to this business by continuing to patronize it for years, despite having several other options. After years of loyalty, the OP asked nothing more of them but for a one-time loan of 10 cents for a 24 hour period. 10 CENTS! They refused. You honestly can't understand why the OP would be peeved by this?
Actually OP started thread here, made the same point numerous times in said thread, went to new business, told old business staff they were leaving, and wrote a complaint letter. Over a dime. Im calling it as I see it. Walks like a duck to me.

Full credit for entertainment value is given. Thanks OP!

While I concede your point about retailer/customer relationships not being equal, I dont concede my point about loyalty being a two way street. Op mustve had dozens of good interactions in the store. After years of good service the OP asked for something they aren't allowed to do. Given past good experiences, id overlook it.

Ever have a meal you really liked at a restaurant? So much so that you order it often when at that restaurant? Then you go in once and it isnt quite right? Does that stop you from ordering it again? No,you give it another shot because oast experience shows they usually do it well.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Sometimes one starts a topic and it goes in an unexpected direction as this one seems to have gone for me, i assumed the topic title would be self evident on what was expected the topic to consist of, people recounting their experiences and stories of patronage to various places in their lives, but instead of hearing about aspects of peoples experiences with patronage i've had to defend my example in the first post almost entirely..
My mistake as its apparent more elaboration should have accompanied that first post.
For those that got it or expressed an understanding about my situation thanks
For those that didnt get the topics intent i'm glad the topic at least provided you with some entertainment.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:12 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
While I concede your point about retailer/customer relationships not being equal, I dont concede my point about loyalty being a two way street. Op mustve had dozens of good interactions in the store. After years of good service the OP asked for something they aren't allowed to do. Given past good experiences, id overlook it.

Did this establishment ever do anything out of the ordinary for the customer that would earn them a checkmark for exceptional service? Any quid pro quo action?
Mundane, non -eventful retail transactions do not necessarily indicate any reason to for customer loyalty.
One can get that unnotable service from self serve check outs.
When the occasion did occur, no such appreciative action to a steady customer happened, so why would customer loyalty be considered?

Old 12-09-2014, 06:25 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,498 times
Quote:
Actually OP started thread here, made the same point numerous times in said thread, went to new business, told old business staff they were leaving, and wrote a complaint letter. Over a dime. Im calling it as I see it. Walks like a duck to me.

Full credit for entertainment value is given. Thanks OP!

Ever have a meal you really liked at a restaurant? So much so that you order it often when at that restaurant? Then you go in once and it isnt quite right? Does that stop you from ordering it again? No,you give it another shot because oast experience shows they usually do it well.
But this was never about a dime, and you know that. And I agree that loyalty is a two-way street, but let's compare apples to apples. Consider: the same clerk at the same store accidentally overcharged the OP by 10 cents one morning. The clerk realizes it, but because some silly corporate policy dictates that he has to fill out a form to refund it(or whatever reason), says, "can I just give it you tomorrow"? Would it be reasonable for the OP to demand his dime immediately? I don't think so.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Did this customer ever do anything out of the ordinary for the company that would earn them a checkmark for exceptional service? Any quid pro quo action?
Mundane, non -eventful retail transactions do not necessarily indicate any reason for company loyalty.
One can get that unnotable service from self serve check outs.
When the occasion did occur, no such appreciative action to the company happened, so why would customer loyalty be considered?
Fair value is given for each transaction. The company states a price, the customer pays it. I desire no extra considerations in my transactions. Yet the OP wanted more.

You shouldn't expect loyalty if you are unwilling to give it.

A slight change to your statement shows how this can just as easily apply to the OP from a corporate viewpoint.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
But this was never about a dime, and you know that. And I agree that loyalty is a two-way street, but let's compare apples to apples. Consider: the same clerk at the same store accidentally overcharged the OP by 10 cents one morning. The clerk realizes it, but because some silly corporate policy dictates that he has to fill out a form to refund it(or whatever reason), says, "can I just give it you tomorrow"? Would it be reasonable for the OP to demand his dime immediately? I don't think so.
I would want my dime. I have as much right to my dime, as the company does to theirs. Would I throw a fit? No. Neither case is worthy of much heartburn.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sometimes one starts a topic and it goes in an unexpected direction as this one seems to have gone for me, i assumed the topic title would be self evident on what was expected the topic to consist of, people recounting their experiences and stories of patronage to various places in their lives, but instead of hearing about aspects of peoples experiences with patronage i've had to defend my example in the first post almost entirely..
My mistake as its apparent more elaboration should have accompanied that first post.
For those that got it or expressed an understanding about my situation thanks
For those that didnt get the topics intent i'm glad the topic at least provided you with some entertainment.

If you wanted other stories of poor customer service, your original note should've asked for them. As it was, it appeared you were asking others what they thought of your reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products