U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 05:28 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,524,665 times

Advertisements

It would be one thing if it was the owner, but expecting the cashier to put themselves in a position to be fired (either now or later) over a dime is kind of a jerk thing to do. If it is a chain the employees cannot loan money from the register regardless of the amount.

I get what you're saying but it's not 1915. If the place across the street will do it and that's what you value then by all means, switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 05:33 PM

12,304 posts, read 11,049,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
\

IMO it was this store that put the excessive importance on a dime, doesnt seem to be an issue across the street.
That's your opinion. Stores are in the business of making money not handing out IOUs. Don't like it? Go elsewhere.....but man you really need to learn to let the little things in life go. Life is far too short to spend this much time whining about a dime and a coffee.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:56 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,688,532 times
Boy, I sure hope none of y'all are in any sort of customer service job.

He isn't whining about the dime. He isn't whining at all. He's saying that a store that places more importance on ten cents than on customer service isn't a store that's going to keep his business. Frankly I'm surprised that so many people disagree with him.

And the comments about letting the little things go, and spending too much time on this-- well those go both ways, no? Shouldn't the store let the little things go? Doesn't get much littler than a dime. And y'all are spending time in this thread too and seem to be giving it quite a bit of thought. Pot, meet kettle.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Boy, I sure hope none of y'all are in any sort of customer service job.

He isn't whining about the dime. He isn't whining at all. He's saying that a store that places more importance on ten cents than on customer service isn't a store that's going to keep his business. Frankly I'm surprised that so many people disagree with him.

And the comments about letting the little things go, and spending too much time on this-- well those go both ways, no? Shouldn't the store let the little things go? Doesn't get much littler than a dime. And y'all are spending time in this thread too and seem to be giving it quite a bit of thought. Pot, meet kettle.
I don't see the store posting here complaining several days later about a customer and their dime.

It's a store. They are in the business of making money. They aren't a bank who hands out loans. Cashiers including managers are required to proof at the end of their shift. If your'e off, you can be written up or fired. Sorry, but I wouldn't risk my job for a customer. And I've had a similar situation occur as an employee. I was always told it' your drawer and your job. Nope. I don't give out loans or IOUs. The OP could have walked his butt to his car and used his debit card if that cup of coffee was soooooo important. It's a freaking cup of coffee! Save 10 cents and make it at home.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:17 PM

35,115 posts, read 42,534,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That's your opinion. Stores are in the business of making money not handing out IOUs. Don't like it? Go elsewhere.....but man you really need to learn to let the little things in life go. Life is far too short to spend this much time whining about a dime and a coffee.
Its a discussion forum, i thought the story would generate discussion.If the topic has now degenerated into just calling me a whiner then the topic in my opinion has run its course.
As for the store making money? seems odd to me they would let a regular $140 a week customer walk away over a dime.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Status: "Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus" (set 2 days ago)

5,122 posts, read 2,128,080 times
Quote:
I've been going to this convenience store/gas bar for a couple of years. i generally stop in at 5am before going to the gymn, always get a large coffee, and sometimes a muffin and fill up both my cars there once a week, today as i only wanted coffee i just brought the $2 with me, evidently their price for coffee went up 10 cents over the weekend leaving me 10 cents short, i said i'll pay you the extra 10 cents tomorrow,i was astounded when the usual cash person said i cant do that as my cash wont balance out at the end of the day , really?
I ended up getting a small coffee instead of a big one, but really felt like my patronage to this store wasnt even worth 10 cents
I filled my tank at a gas station and I try to round it off to the next dollar if I'm close. This particular time I went a penny over. I handed the woman behind the counter the rounded dollar amount. Going for the extra penny meant breaking another large bill. Do you know that the skel behind the counter insisted on the penny.

I take that way to work every day. I've never gone in there again. Since I spend about two thousand a year in gasoline, I would guess that in the years that I've passed through there they've lost hundreds in profits.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:21 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,110,154 times
Default Thrifty Drug rules

Quote:
I've been going to this convenience store/gas bar for a couple of years. i generally stop in at 5am before going to the gymn, always get a large coffee, and sometimes a muffin and fill up both my cars there once a week, today as i only wanted coffee i just brought the $2 with me, evidently their price for coffee went up 10 cents over the weekend leaving me 10 cents short, i said i'll pay you the extra 10 cents tomorrow,i was astounded when the usual cash person said i cant do that as my cash wont balance out at the end of the day , really?
I ended up getting a small coffee instead of a big one, but really felt like my patronage to this store wasnt even worth 10 cents
I worked for Thrifty Drug in L. A. a billion years ago and used to keep stoggies in a humidor pretty
much for one old guy. He was short, and I kicked in because I balanced on the penny every shift.
Since it was a nice very well paid job I wanted a flawless record for my cash handling.

Isn't "give a penny take a penny" everywhere now? No? It's a cup or tray right by the till and people
balance out by putting/taking pennies in and out, but I've seen nickels and dimes and even the odd
quarter, and the penny is on the way out anyway. No tray where you are?

What the tray means today is that almost no one would balance on the penny anymore, so no one cares!!

Last edited by thedwightguy; 12-03-2014 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: finish idea

Old 12-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Status: "Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus" (set 2 days ago)

5,122 posts, read 2,128,080 times
The state in which I live has either pay at the pump with a card or cash in advance. When I go for gas at my usual place I look in my wallet to make sure that I have at least two twenties and the guy inside recognizes me. At this particular place I don't have to prepay. That saves me time and I always go there.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Its a discussion forum, i thought the story would generate discussion.If the topic has now degenerated into just calling me a whiner then the topic in my opinion has run its course.
As for the store making money? seems odd to me they would let a regular $140 a week customer walk away over a dime.
Do you think someone sits in the parking lot every day and keeps track of who spends how much every week? Chances are they won't miss your $140 as other customers come and go as well. And yeah you do sound like a whiner. I've had people complain that they have to pay sales tax on items. The state says it's required so I have to collect it. I've been told I should pay it. Not happening.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:44 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,688,532 times
Quote:
And? You're not friends. His drawer still has to proof at the end of his shift. If he let 10 people slide Monday morning because the price changed over the weekend, his drawer would be $1.00 short. In many places, he would be fired for that. Every little move he makes is on video. He can't hiccup without it being known. Maybe there are corporate policies you don't know about. It's not his job to make sure you have your morning coffee! It's your job to have the money to pay for it! You've seriously put waaaaaaay too much thought into a freaking cup of coffee and a dime!
Quote:
I don't see the store posting here complaining several days later about a customer and their dime.

It's a store. They are in the business of making money. They aren't a bank who hands out loans. Cashiers including managers are required to proof at the end of their shift. If your'e off, you can be written up or fired. Sorry, but I wouldn't risk my job for a customer. And I've had a similar situation occur as an employee. I was always told it' your drawer and your job. Nope. I don't give out loans or IOUs. The OP could have walked his butt to his car and used his debit card if that cup of coffee was soooooo important. It's a freaking cup of coffee! Save 10 cents and make it at home.
For a store that's in the business of making money, that's a pretty short-sighted attitude. I would think in the long run the store would make more money by keeping a good steady customer than by getting the ten cents. They won the battle for the dime, but lost the war. Except they didn't even win the battle for the dime, they just sold him a less expensive cup that day and lost him as a customer forever.

If the store has corporate policies that prevent someone from spending a dime to keep a customer, and would fire a cashier for letting a good customer slide on a dime, that just reinforces my belief that this isn't a store that deserves the op's business. If it were my store, the cashier's job would be in jeopardy if he didn't let the dime slide. It's just a matter of which kind of business you want to frequent, and from the business' viewpoint which kind of business you want to run.

Whether I was the customer, cashier, or business owner in that situation I believe the right way to handle it would be to let it slide. If it happened every day, well that would be another thing. But a one-time thing with a good customer? In my opinion they blew it. I think it would have been in the best interests of everybody involved to let him slide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products