U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 10:35 AM

819 posts, read 1,035,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At 68 yrs old the gymn is more about the social aspects than becoming slim and trim,sitting around yakking with a bunch of old geezers in the gymn for a few hours everyday beats sitting with the geezer crowd at the mall food court, so the occasional muffin isnt really that relevant.
In this case it sounds like the real issue is the ten cent dispute revealed the fact that your 'friend' of two years was really someone operating a business and you're looking for a new friend to see every morning on your way to the social club, I mean gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 11:08 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,671,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If the guy was worried about accounting for a dime, how do you think he accounted for a thrown away, unpaid for cup?
There were plenty of options the guy had in order to keep a good customer but even if shorting the register was the one he chose, does anybody really believe a good employee would be fired over a 10 cent shortage one day? Really???:
Yes.

Go work in current retail and being short any amount of money gets you written up or fired. The current registers don't allow for mistakes. The cashiers have to type in the exact cash given to them and the register tells them how much change to give. Period.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:05 PM

21,793 posts, read 12,468,457 times
I've put in plenty of time as a convenience store clerk. I think it's bizarre they didn't front you the dime. Either from a penny jar on the counter or the handful of change I always kept in my pocket. I once paid for a guy's sandwich. My co-workers thought I was nuts but sure enough, he came back a couple of days later with the money. I wasn't even working but he made a big deal about them finding an envelope to put my name on and put it under the tray in the cash drawer so it was waiting for me the next time I came in.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:02 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,289,842 times
Quote:
I've been going to this convenience store/gas bar for a couple of years. i generally stop in at 5am before going to the gymn, always get a large coffee, and sometimes a muffin and fill up both my cars there once a week, today as i only wanted coffee i just brought the $2 with me, evidently their price for coffee went up 10 cents over the weekend leaving me 10 cents short, i said i'll pay you the extra 10 cents tomorrow,i was astounded when the usual cash person said i cant do that as my cash wont balance out at the end of the day , really?
I ended up getting a small coffee instead of a big one, but really felt like my patronage to this store wasnt even worth 10 cents
What if the person did that on Monday. Then on Tuesday you come by and you forget and ask for another 10 cents on a tab. Then several other people do the same thing because they weren't aware of the price change, before you know it, this person is going to be liable for this money. If I was the manager or owner, I would tell the employee not to loan money or run a tab for anyone. It's coffee, not medication, you don't NEED to have it. Get the smaller one, you were fine, weren't you?

Old 12-04-2014, 02:56 PM

11,817 posts, read 13,959,030 times
This thread caught my eye. At my "usual gas station" this morning. Got a cup of coffee. Only had $1.00 on me.

For those of you that say "who only carries $2.00...???"
Seriously? It's 2014. I NEVER have cash on me.....

My "usual person" working the counter.
"That'll be $1.09"
Pull out a dollar, start digging for a dime...
uhhh...

"No biggee... get it next time"

Old 12-04-2014, 03:06 PM

35,118 posts, read 42,547,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
What if the person did that on Monday. Then on Tuesday you come by and you forget and ask for another 10 cents on a tab. Then several other people do the same thing because they weren't aware of the price change, before you know it, this person is going to be liable for this money. If I was the manager or owner, I would tell the employee not to loan money or run a tab for anyone. It's coffee, not medication, you don't NEED to have it. Get the smaller one, you were fine, weren't you?
And before you know it he's giving everything in the store away for free and giving every one free tanks of gas.. Is that your logic because i was short a dime?
Yeah sure i got the smaller coffee and he lost a customer because he was too pre occupied with his dime.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This thread caught my eye. At my "usual gas station" this morning. Got a cup of coffee. Only had $1.00 on me.

For those of you that say "who only carries $2.00...???"
Seriously? It's 2014. I NEVER have cash on me.....

My "usual person" working the counter.
"That'll be $1.09"
Pull out a dollar, start digging for a dime...
uhhh...

"No biggee... get it next time"

Thats the way it should have gone down, i'll bet you'll be going back to that store.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:09 PM

53,333 posts, read 42,810,473 times
Quote:
I've been going to this convenience store/gas bar for a couple of years. i generally stop in at 5am before going to the gymn, always get a large coffee, and sometimes a muffin and fill up both my cars there once a week, today as i only wanted coffee i just brought the $2 with me, evidently their price for coffee went up 10 cents over the weekend leaving me 10 cents short, i said i'll pay you the extra 10 cents tomorrow,i was astounded when the usual cash person said i cant do that as my cash wont balance out at the end of the day , really?
I ended up getting a small coffee instead of a big one, but really felt like my patronage to this store wasnt even worth 10 cents
Cashier <> owner since they are concerned their register won't balance.

I'm quite friendly with my regular places cashiers etc. and in most cases they'd have found a work around....but once in a while you get one that's maybe tired or just not mentally agile (to put it nicely) and it flummoxes them.

Annoying yes, but don't take it personally.

Now if it's the owner then I'd be like "but I come in here all the time for years", and would be ticked if shown no leeway.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:21 AM

I actually went back to the place today just to let them know i'm ok and the reason why i aint coming in no more.
Seems my email to head office earlier in the week got through but resolved nothing, the manager said sorry but its company policy in a case like this to not let customers slide when they are short.
OK then we understand each other,your company values a dime more than a customer and now i'm doing my business across the street.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:07 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,289,842 times
Quote:
And before you know it he's giving everything in the store away for free and giving every one free tanks of gas.. Is that your logic because i was short a dime?
Yeah sure i got the smaller coffee and he lost a customer because he was too pre occupied with his dime.
They are running a business. They books have to balance, and if they don't, missing money is called theft or very bad management, and I've seen managers fired for that. You can't be so selfish to think "It's only my 10 cents", it all adds up.

If the business loses a customer over the customer's own incompetence and inability to carry enough money with them, then you aren't a customer worth keeping, because you will find fault with something or someone else that puts your business relationship in jeopardy. What if you had walked out of there and spilled your drug, in this case coffee on the ground, and you don't have anymore money? Are you going to blame them because you only carry exactly what is needed at all times for your purchase? You are trying to punish a business for behaving like a business while you want to behave like a child where you're expecting an adult to come to your rescue. You are an adult, you can't continue to live your life like a child and expecting everyone else to pick up the slack for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products