U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 06:30 AM

35,115 posts, read 42,534,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
They are running a business. They books have to balance, and if they don't, missing money is called theft or very bad management, and I've seen managers fired for that. You can't be so selfish to think "It's only my 10 cents", it all adds up.

If the business loses a customer over the customer's own incompetence and inability to carry enough money with them, then you aren't a customer worth keeping, because you will find fault with something or someone else that puts your business relationship in jeopardy. What if you had walked out of there and spilled your drug, in this case coffee on the ground, and you don't have anymore money? Are you going to blame them because you only carry exactly what is needed at all times for your purchase? You are trying to punish a business for behaving like a business while you want to behave like a child where you're expecting an adult to come to your rescue. You are an adult, you can't continue to live your life like a child and expecting everyone else to pick up the slack for you.
I carried the amount of money that my coffee has cost me for the past 2 years, there was no warning they were going to up the price by a dime over the weekend.
At this point the situation has resolved itself to every ones satisfaction, they didnt have to front me a dime for a day and i'm happy with my new convenience store across the street. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 07:09 AM

20,511 posts, read 20,503,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Yes.

Go work in current retail and being short any amount of money gets you written up or fired. The current registers don't allow for mistakes. The cashiers have to type in the exact cash given to them and the register tells them how much change to give. Period.
I believe the exactitude exists but still find it very hard to believe that a good employee would get fired for a one time minor shortage. A shortage might be noted but fired??
That is not to mention the several ways it could have been handled by a less.....ummm...robotic, unimaginative clerk.
Heaven forbid he ever has to make a quick judgment call on a really important issue.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:58 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,289,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I carried the amount of money that my coffee has cost me for the past 2 years, there was no warning they were going to up the price by a dime over the weekend.
At this point the situation has resolved itself to every ones satisfaction, they didnt have to front me a dime for a day and i'm happy with my new convenience store across the street. Problem solved.
You expect after 2 years there not to be an increase? As I said, you need to be thinking like an adult. Do you only put enough gas in your car for each trip too? :-)

The new place will do the same until they raise the price, and when you don't have enough money again and then you will be back here to complain about them too. The problem isn't solved. You are waiting for the world to change to take care of you, and that isn't going to happen. Accept responsibly that you didn't conduct yourself as an adult and selfishly expect some hourly person to take money out of his own pocket because you can't be burden to carry enough money with you.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:02 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,289,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I believe the exactitude exists but still find it very hard to believe that a good employee would get fired for a one time minor shortage. A shortage might be noted but fired??
That is not to mention the several ways it could have been handled by a less.....ummm...robotic, unimaginative clerk.
Heaven forbid he ever has to make a quick judgment call on a really important issue.
Hourly employees are not paid to make judgement calls, they are paid to follow instructions. There is a reason they count up the money at the end of a shift, because theft for most retail places comes from their own employee's mistakes, incompetence or simple theft.

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 12-05-2014 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-05-2014, 08:37 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,803,659 times
Quote:
Hourly employees are not paid to make judgement calls, they are paid to follow instructions. There is a reason they count up the money at the end of a shift, because theft for most retail places comes from their own employee's mistakes, incompetence or simple theft.
If management sucks and the culture is strictly operationally-driven, sure.

But if it's good management and a corporate culture that's customer-focused, then hourly employees should be expected to make judgement calls. Especially over something as trivial as a dime for a regular customer.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:39 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thats the way it should have gone down, i'll bet you'll be going back to that store.
Yep. Kathy got her 9 cents today.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM

819 posts, read 1,035,550 times
I wish I could have seen the faces of the people at the 'head office' when they got a complaint letter from someone who carries exactly $2 and no other form of payment, was ten cents short, and had to suffer through a small coffee instead of a large as a result. I'd have laughed it right into the trash can.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
You expect after 2 years there not to be an increase? As I said, you need to be thinking like an adult. Do you only put enough gas in your car for each trip too? :-)

The new place will do the same until they raise the price, and when you don't have enough money again and then you will be back here to complain about them too. The problem isn't solved. You are waiting for the world to change to take care of you, and that isn't going to happen. Accept responsibly that you didn't conduct yourself as an adult and selfishly expect some hourly person to take money out of his own pocket because you can't be burden to carry enough money with you.

Had i known they were going to raise the price over the weekend i would have brought an extra dime.
Since Monday i've spent $110 across the street.

Last edited by jambo101; 12-05-2014 at 09:36 AM..

Old 12-05-2014, 09:35 AM

850 posts, read 1,104,731 times
I see some SERIOUS lack of understanding of how a gas station makes (or doesn't make) money. It's like people are assuming he/she acquires the goods to sell from the magic gas fairy, and doesn't pay for them. Just because you're spending $140/week there doesn't mean that the station owner is losing $140/week by you NOT going there. The reality is that they're _potentially_ losing about $20/week. Normal sales numbers fluctuate FAR more than that on a daily basis, so your weekly $20 isn't even a drop in the bucket to these guys, nor are they even going to notice the loss much less miss it.

Generally, a station profits about 10 cents per gallon of gas, and that's assuming you pay cash. If you're swiping plastic, the station just paid about 6 of those cents to the credit card processor. You're saying you spend $140/week there, $14 of which goes towards coffee, and occasionally a muffin. So what, about $18/week for non gas items? Which leaves $122 in gas, which would be roughly 40 gallons, at a rough cash profit of about $4. If you paid for that gas with a credit or debit card, the station made about $1.60 off you. Even assuming they paid 0 for the muffin and coffee, they have a net profit from you of $19.60-$22/week.

Whoop-de-doo. I'd be comfortable betting that their normal day to day fluctuations in sales is at least $100, thus they won't even notice your absence, nor will they care.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
I wish I could have seen the faces of the people at the 'head office' when they got a complaint letter from someone who carries exactly $2 and no other form of payment, was ten cents short, and had to suffer through a small coffee instead of a large as a result. I'd have laughed it right into the trash can.
I think you miss the point, sure i could have gone out to my car and paid for that coffee with any number of credit cards or driven to my bank and made an ATM withdrawal, but for the trivial amount i was short i thought it rather insulting that my regular patronage was not worth fronting me a dime till tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products