U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 09:46 AM

35,115 posts, read 42,534,702 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
I see some SERIOUS lack of understanding of how a gas station makes (or doesn't make) money. It's like people are assuming he/she acquires the goods to sell from the magic gas fairy, and doesn't pay for them. Just because you're spending $140/week there doesn't mean that the station owner is losing $140/week by you NOT going there. The reality is that they're _potentially_ losing about $20/week. Normal sales numbers fluctuate FAR more than that on a daily basis, so your weekly $20 isn't even a drop in the bucket to these guys, nor are they even going to notice the loss much less miss it.

Generally, a station profits about 10 cents per gallon of gas, and that's assuming you pay cash. If you're swiping plastic, the station just paid about 6 of those cents to the credit card processor. You're saying you spend $140/week there, $14 of which goes towards coffee, and occasionally a muffin. So what, about $18/week for non gas items? Which leaves $122 in gas, which would be roughly 40 gallons, at a rough cash profit of about $4. If you paid for that gas with a credit or debit card, the station made about $1.60 off you. Even assuming they paid 0 for the muffin and coffee, they have a net profit from you of $19.60-$22/week.

Whoop-de-doo. I'd be comfortable betting that their normal day to day fluctuations in sales is at least $100, thus they won't even notice your absence, nor will they care.[/quote
That works out kinda convenient as they've shown they dont care about me spending my paltry pittance at their store on a regular basis and now i/m more than happy to take my business elsewhere..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 11:27 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,131,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I actually went back to the place today just to let them know i'm ok and the reason why i aint coming in no more.
Seems my email to head office earlier in the week got through but resolved nothing, the manager said sorry but its company policy in a case like this to not let customers slide when they are short.
OK then we understand each other,your company values a dime more than a customer and now i'm doing my business across the street.
Impressive hissy fit over a dime.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:58 AM

2,702 posts, read 3,868,005 times
Think of it this way... What if EVERY customer was short 10 cents.. So the store has 350 customers that shift... That's $35 short.. Would you expect the cashier to make it up?? I wouldn't.....

And I am sorry but if you are that upset over 10 cents then maybe you need therapy.....

Old 12-05-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I think you miss the point, sure i could have gone out to my car and paid for that coffee with any number of credit cards or driven to my bank and made an ATM withdrawal, but for the trivial amount i was short i thought it rather insulting that my regular patronage was not worth fronting me a dime till tomorrow.
Does everyone there know you by name or face (this ain't Cheers)?? If not how would you expect them to treat you.. You are just another person to them....

Old 12-05-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I actually went back to the place today just to let them know i'm ok and the reason why i aint coming in no more.
Seems my email to head office earlier in the week got through but resolved nothing, the manager said sorry but its company policy in a case like this to not let customers slide when they are short.
OK then we understand each other,your company values a dime more than a customer and now i'm doing my business across the street.
And I am sure they were REALLY WORRIED about you... And they probably could care less that you aren't coming to them anymore....

And a dime from 1,000,000 customers who aren't intelligent enough to take more than the exact price if what you think an item is is $100,000....

So you expect them to just chalk that up to being friendly...

And you either have huge gas tanks on your vehicles, get bad gas mileage and drive a lot or a combination of all three to spend that much each week on fuel....

Old 12-05-2014, 12:51 PM

850 posts, read 1,104,731 times
Quote:
I think you miss the point, sure i could have gone out to my car and paid for that coffee with any number of credit cards or driven to my bank and made an ATM withdrawal, but for the trivial amount i was short i thought it rather insulting that my regular patronage was not worth fronting me a dime till tomorrow.
I'd say, as a business owner, that I would find it insulting that you would expect the station to accommodate your EXTREME case of entitlement that would preclude you from making that perilous journey to your car to obtain an alternative form of payment.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:39 PM

2,775 posts, read 2,944,606 times
Quote:
I've been going to this convenience store/gas bar for a couple of years. i generally stop in at 5am before going to the gymn, always get a large coffee, and sometimes a muffin and fill up both my cars there once a week, today as i only wanted coffee i just brought the $2 with me, evidently their price for coffee went up 10 cents over the weekend leaving me 10 cents short, i said i'll pay you the extra 10 cents tomorrow,i was astounded when the usual cash person said i cant do that as my cash wont balance out at the end of the day , really?
I ended up getting a small coffee instead of a big one, but really felt like my patronage to this store wasnt even worth 10 cents
It's ridiculous to assume that you buy something now and pay for it later - no matter how little in a situation where that isn't the accepted norm (why, because you are a regular?). You don't do this in Walmart or Best Buy, so why do you think it is ok to do at a small business? You cannot blame the employee on staff either... they just want to follow the rules as given to them by the owner. If they don't want to or cannot personally spot you 10 cents, that's their choice. Don't be offended by them making the choice.

You seem more upset about this than you should be. The truth is that as a retailer AND consumer I see both sides of the issue. As a consumer I like to feel special at the places I frequent, as a retailer with employees working for me I know that breaking a cash drawer policy for someone is usually a mistake in judgement. In fact in the 8 years I've had my store (with tens of thousands of transactions), I've never had anyone get upset over something like what you've described.

Your patronage is worth exactly what you spend at my store and nothing more. Asking me to spot you ten cents if I know you (and if I have a dime on me) is something I would do (just like sometimes I give people free bottles of water if they need a drink and I'm feeling generous), but I don't expect my employees to do it (and I absolutely don't want them to feel entitled to give away my 10 cents or bottles of water!).

Rather than get upset about this, why not just realize that no one owes you anything, if you expect less you won't be so disappointed when you get it. So you drank a small coffee that day... well the good news is you will never forget the extra 10 cents in the future now will you? If not for this whole experience, you likely would have made this mistake more than once, but that's not going to happen now.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:42 PM

35,115 posts, read 42,534,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post

And you either have huge gas tanks on your vehicles, get bad gas mileage and drive a lot or a combination of all three to spend that much each week on fuel....
Or i live in Canada where gas is close to $6 a gallon. as for hissy fit over a dime? seems thats what they decided to do.
Going back to the store? i;ve been talking to these people on a first name basis almost every weekday for the last 2 years,i thought i'd allay their curiosity on why i no longer come in every morning.
As for the appearance of making a big deal about it? Its a discussion forum and so far its been a good discussion, see that green marker beside my user name?
If you generate good discussion you also might get one..

Old 12-05-2014, 01:58 PM

850 posts, read 1,104,731 times
Quote:
see that green marker beside my user name?
Arrogant and entitled....and yet the store is the one with the issue? Apparently the Canadians aren't so friendly after all, lol.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:29 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,131,584 times
Quote:
,,, as for hissy fit over a dime? seems thats what they decided to do.

Its a discussion forum and so far its been a good discussion, see that green marker beside my user name?

This thread has officially become hilarious.

Your hissy far out ranks theirs. You are still ranting days later. Ranting. Over 10 cents.

I do see the marker. Congratulations to you.
See how my reputation points exceed my number of postings? That means I say things people think worthy of acknowledging; as if that really matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products