U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 11:23 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,664,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Right, but what would you do if you provided the service before the charge (eg haircut, meal etc)
Your card goes into overdraft and you get a hefty fee added on. Retailers will usually call in a manual authorization, if they get it then life goes on. If not and they hand the phone to you, most likely you are a habitual overdrafter and if they don't give an authorization at that point; then its up to the retailer of what to do. It doesn't matter if it were a mistake on your part, its still theft of services and you can be arrested for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 02:44 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,487,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's easy enough to check your balance online before you go in to get the service and have an alternative (or wait). Other than getting hacked, there's no reason for that to ever happen.
There's actually a number of reasons it could happen, and not all of them have to do with how much money is in your account.

For instance...

I used to have a business account with US Bank. We used the crap out of the debit cards for that account because we got cash back on every purchase, and with many hundreds of purchases per month, we were raking in the bucks. Only problem was that sometimes the cards wouldn't work. It happened at retail locations, online and over the phone - how the transaction was being made didn't matter. The merchant would see a decline, despite there being plenty of money in the account and being well under the daily limits.

When I called US Bank about it (many times), they never even saw the transactions hitting their network, so there was nothing they could really do. There had to be some sort of intermittent issue somewhere in the chain of systems that are utilized whenever a transaction is made, and it never got figured out. We ended up switching banks and giving up that wonderful cash back (hundreds per month is what we had been getting back) because US Bank was never able to resolve it, and honestly, I don't think they ever really tried.

So yes, there most certainly are reasons it could happen besides hacking.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:31 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,072,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The reason the police are called for places that have already provided the service but are not paid is because the police have the authority to secure legal identification. Normally the patron will offer up some collateral such as their drivers license but not always. Sot he police can get the info in case the person was actually planning to commit fraud. In some jurisdiction the police will issue a minor theft summons and its dismissed prior to the court date with proof the debt was paid.
Non-sense they have no such authority until they know the problem is a police natter. They can ask tho. Mostly they are called because people think its a crime or they have no idea now to settle the problem. Most report it has customer who won't pay for service. Here if they explain; they are told on phone to work it out and given suggestions. In the entire US theft is defined by elements that have to be proven. One is intent and without it a arrest is a false arrest. Remember a officer has to spell out each element that makes it a crime when filing the required probable cause arrest report. No intent of theft; no theft. He would have to prove the card holder knew to make a case. That is like proving that a person left his wallet at home on purpose in reality. Its not even like a worthless check in that regard. Doubt it will be since most refusal have to do with security.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:57 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hi,
I have always wondered about this. There are a few services where you pay after you receive the service (Hair cut, restaurant meal, etc). I know in car repair, they simply keep your car until you pay, but what happens in the other situations? Anyone experience this?
I have experienced that before but I always go prepared, I always have another card with money in it and also have cash in my pockett just in case. Can't go wrong with cash. Before I.go out I.already have a pretty good idea of how much I will be spending and check my balance in my debit card and credit card before I walk out the door and also put that amount of cash in my pockett and that way I never have any problem.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:42 AM

28 posts, read 20,980 times
Dine and dash? You will be invited to the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or