U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:15 AM

1,070 posts, read 1,567,654 times

Advertisements

Or do you know anyone who has set up a donation on that site? It seems like a great concept, to be able to give money to people/families who need it (immediate emergencies), not necessarily large charities, just people. I just wonder about how legitimate it is? You never really know if they got the money.

(This seemed like the appropriate forum to ask this)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 06:46 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Far too easy to scam people out of their money, no way I would do any kind of donation through there.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:12 PM

13,293 posts, read 21,209,414 times
I did, once, and I know the person it was meant for received it.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:15 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,567,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I did, once, and I know the person it was meant for received it.
Thanks, that's good to know. But yeah, I can see how scammers could really play on people's emotions with some of the sad stories on there.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:16 PM

6,772 posts, read 5,404,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Or do you know anyone who has set up a donation on that site? It seems like a great concept, to be able to give money to people/families who need it (immediate emergencies), not necessarily large charities, just people. I just wonder about how legitimate it is? You never really know if they got the money.

(This seemed like the appropriate forum to ask this)
I do it all the time. Donate to people that run animal rescue. I would be leery of donating to anyone I do not know

Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,843 posts, read 56,221,985 times
A relative has set up an appeal on it for $10,000 to buy something she needs to start a business (that is doomed to failure). After 6 weeks she has gotten $1,100. The begging that she does on facebook to promote it is nothing short of an annoying embarrassment. One friend finally advised her to "get a job."

Old 12-04-2014, 09:06 AM

14,136 posts, read 19,291,916 times
yes I have once and did know that the person got the money . Wow to the person who said get a job , well what if they have a job and it does not afford them health insurance and they have an accident like falling down their stairs at their apt or something ? whatever happened to compassion and understanding and helping your fellow man ? the arrogance of people now a days astounds me .. God bless all of you who have that and to those of you who don't, well don't choke on that silver spoon you have in your mouth or that you were born with .

Last edited by phonelady61; 12-04-2014 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-04-2014, 07:36 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,152,127 times
MY community has used GOFUNDME a few times to allow people to donate for specific situations such as a family whose home burned down, a family whose father was killed by a drunk driver in an auto accident, etc. We also have specific businesses that will collect for the same situation and it is advertised as donate at XX businesses if you can, but if not donate to GOFUNDME as the website takes 5% if the donation for providing the site.

So it may be easier for some people not to have the personal interaction of asking for an accepting donations, but you do loose 5 % of the donation if you do it through the site.

As far as donating to strangers, I'd have a MAJOR concern as you do not know who those folks are and if its a scam. And even if it is a situation where you know of the issue you need to know WHO is managing the webpage request as sometimes another person will ask for money for someone and then not give it to them. We had one situation where something was being requested for a handicapped person and more $ than needed came in and the person who set up the page kept the extra $ rather than finding something else the handicapped person needed.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:08 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,491,373 times
I remember reading about several instances (not necessarily from GOFUNDME) where someone said they were collecting donations for a friend in need and turned out to be a scam. I think someone was prosecuted for a scam related to the CT school shooting victims. Be very careful and verify where your funds are going.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:33 PM

4,929 posts, read 4,213,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yes I have once and did know that the person got the money . Wow to the person who said get a job , well what if they have a job and it does not afford them health insurance and they have an accident like falling down their stairs at their apt or something ? whatever happened to compassion and understanding and helping your fellow man ? the arrogance of people now a days astounds me .. God bless all of you who have that and to those of you who don't, well don't choke on that silver spoon you have in your mouth or that you were born with .
Obamacare.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or