U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 01:41 AM

28 posts, read 20,980 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

It's been a long time since my last log in,and I've developed a new hobby recently.

I shaped it into a blinking heart on the wall.

Since Christmas is coming soon, weeks ago I was thinking about get some easy festival things to fiddle with. Considering led rgb flexible strip lights as my first try, I ordered a remote control 3528 smd led strips and later I got my parcel! It's my first purchase of this hobby so that I'd like to share with you guys here.

Family photo
The user guide, the RGB control box, the remote, the power cable and the strip.

The remote:
Four modes -- flash, strobe, fade and smooth. It's a RGB led strip and can work out other 12 color combos.

Connecting to the control box:
It needs to be connected to a 12V DC power supply.

Two cables are on the other side of the control box (see pic 2). One is to receive the remote signal and the other to connect the strip light.

It indicates that I should connect them in the way of arrow to arrow.

The strip is about 5 meters long and you can cut it as you like ( 5m is not long enough though )

So far the connection part has been done perfectly

Time to plug it in!

Cheap led strip with good quality but not waterproof.

I posted it somewhere else, and then one asked if I can run these with a Arduino.

Anyone ever tried that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 03:23 AM

10,409 posts, read 10,196,014 times
For what do you use those things?

Old 12-17-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
For what do you use those things?
My original intention was to decorate a bonsai tree but it does not look that good. Maybe a pine tree would be better.

And it's also a car strip light. But I don't have a car

Old 12-23-2014, 03:31 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,084,170 times
I have considered using LED strips like those for truck bed lighting. I've seen people install them under bed rails where you can't see them, and there's a switch near the tailgate somewhere for nighttime loading/unloading. I have two strips under the hood of my truck on the sides, and it lights up the entire engine. These strips use very little power. People also use them for under cabinet lighting. I wouldn't use them for decorative lighting because I think they look cheap.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I have considered using LED strips like those for truck bed lighting. I've seen people install them under bed rails where you can't see them, and there's a switch near the tailgate somewhere for nighttime loading/unloading. I have two strips under the hood of my truck on the sides, and it lights up the entire engine. These strips use very little power. People also use them for under cabinet lighting. I wouldn't use them for decorative lighting because I think they look cheap.

Wow that is cool... Unadulterated genius! Looks like the strips on your truck are really bright!
They use strips for under cabinet lighting? I thought those were tubes.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:05 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,084,170 times
That's a picture of a truck I got off of the internet. I have the same type of LED strip under my hood, but I have two strips running up the left and right sides of the hood. It was easier to Google it and find a similar setup than take a picture of my own truck. These strips are dirt cheap on Amazon if anyone is interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or