U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 7 days ago)

15,463 posts, read 8,969,043 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I took my car to a new place for an oil change. I had never been to this place before, and I had never had my Toyota's oil changed before, since I bought it recently. But this place got great reviews, so I thought they would probably be good. I brought a coupon in to the oil change place that said this:

$27.99 + Tax Oil Change Includes; FREE Touch less Car Wash-with these conditions:

EXPIRES 12/30/2014

Changing Your Oil is Essential for the Proper Preventative Maintenance of Your Car. As Part of the Express Care Full Service Oil Change We Will Drain & Refill Valvoline Motor Oil. Coupons may not be combined with any other offer. Not valid with any other offer. With ValpakĀ® coupon only. Must present coupon at time of purchase. Coupon valid at this location only. Coupon void if altered.

When I got to the place, I was the only customer there. I was excited. No long wait for an oil change for once! The first thing I did was tell the guy I had this coupon for $27.99. They did it quickly and when he checked me out, he tried to charge me $40! I said WTH?! He gave me some BS about how my car cost more because it took more than 5 quarts (not mentioned on the coupon, although I know that is a common upcharge) and it had a circular oil filter (also not mentioned on the coupon) so what they do instead of actually HONORING THE COUPON is just take $7 off the cost of their regular oil change. I said, "That seems misleading," he told me that's how they do it. I said, "Well you're not going to do it that way today," and made him get the manager. Ultimately I got my $27.99 oil change after a lot of hassle. I don't even know if this episode was a bait and switch or outright deception on the part of the oil change place, but I'm not going back there again. Have you guys had any bait and switch or deceptive price schemes such as this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:02 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,671,425 times
Each state is different on what has to be printed. Some states require full disclosure and some states require minimal disclosure that state price for most cars plus shop fees. I go to a dealership where my car is $29.99 and my SUV is $34.99. They include hand washing the entire vehicle and vacuuming and charge an extra few dollars for shop fees.

This months deal is $39.99 which includes tire rotation. But the online coupon states "Balancing tires, tax, and more than 5 quarts of oil extra. Most V-6 and V-8 engines and other select vehicles require more than 5 quarts of oil. See dealer for eligible vehicles"

Old 12-16-2014, 12:58 PM

5,444 posts, read 5,022,305 times
This is not uncommon. Oil filters vary in price depending on the type of filter. The 27.99 deal would normally be for the most basic filter and a maximum of 5qts of oil. Different filters, extra oil, synthetic blend or straight synthetic generally cost more.

Where the screwed up was by not telling you up front. They should have asked you what type of vehicle you have. From there, they can tell what it will cost and they should have let you know right at that moment instead of after the work has been done. In your instance, you were fully in the right to argue. Having said that, I wouldn't really call this a bait and switch.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:34 PM

19,111 posts, read 19,970,850 times
Not new or unusual to try and up sell customers at the chain automotive places.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 7 days ago)

15,463 posts, read 8,969,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Not new or unusual to try and up sell customers at the chain automotive places.
This situation is not upselling; this is overcharging. I presented a coupon. They quoted me a price much higher than the coupon's price AFTER they did the job, and attempted to extract these extra monies from me. Upselling occurs when they do the oil change (or whatever service), then they tell you you need a radiator flush, new air filter, new windshield wiper blades, etc and they will be happy to do these services for you for the price of your soul + tax. The customer has the ability to decline these add-on services.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:59 PM

19,111 posts, read 19,970,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This situation is not upselling; this is overcharging. I presented a coupon. They quoted me a price much higher than the coupon's price AFTER they did the job, and attempted to extract these extra monies from me. Upselling occurs when they do the oil change (or whatever service), then they tell you you need a radiator flush, new air filter, new windshield wiper blades, etc and they will be happy to do these services for you for the price of your soul + tax. The customer has the ability to decline these add-on services.
Call it what you want, it's just another method of getting your money.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:25 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,085,792 times
Actually it wouldn't be so bad if they notified you of up charge before taking your order for service. Here at least their required to print the possibly of further charge above standard they set for what is sold.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:58 PM

10,720 posts, read 17,690,214 times
It's a good life lesson. This applies to everything not just a simple oil change. Be glad this was just an oil change. In life, this could apply to million dollar deals. When you buy anything, demand that you know the charges up front before you pay for it. These tactics apply to buying a home, car, a vacation, investment, financial planner fees, furniture, plane tickets....everything. Case in point, if you go to most hotels, they have a hidden "resort fee" that is not included in the advertised price. They will tack that on later.

Rental car companies are the worst. They will try to upsell your or flat out not tell you that you are not required to pay for certain items.

My strategy is this: Tell them "I don't want that. I am not going to pay for that" - most of the time companies will be dishonest and not reveal that you are not required to pay for a certain item or feature and will try to tack it on. By doing this, I've saved myself thousands of dollars. If it's mandatory, they will let you know and fight you on it. But if you say you aren't going to pay for it and it's not required, they assume you know it's not a required charge and will not charge you for it.

Lastly, use an American Express card to make purchases. This is your insurance policy. American Express is great about protecting customers against fraud and services not rendered. Unlike other cards, in my experience Amex does not hassle you and they usually don't have limits on what you are owed back. This is also a good way to weed out bad businesses. Usually ethical and reputable businesses accept Amex because they charge a higher interest rate. Cheap companies won't accept Amex and usually these cheap companies offer poor service. If a company doesn't accept Amex, I don't do business with them. And Amex is a good way to threaten companies that fail to provide services as noted. Companies know Amex nearly always sides with the customer and they won't be paid if the customer complains so they will try to work out a deal with you. You can always state that you will file a report with Amex if they fail to honor their contract. Companies don't want to be dropped from Amex either because many wealthy patrons only use Amex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products