U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:34 AM

79 posts, read 156,295 times

Advertisements

i just left walmart after a couple of yrs., not because of the company but what seems to be a store by store problem called bad management. i was 15 minutes early every day, never missed a day and did more work (all reviews were excellent) than the majority. however they had a mgr. who thought he was funny with his crude sexual remarks to women. he also picked on males if you made it on his list. believe it or not hundreds of people came and went because of him and he still works there today. they supposedly have an open door policy were you can go to a higher mgr., but if you do you better have another job lined up. i think the mgrs have a hidden support network where they cover for each other. the money was ok. met some really nice co-workers and an equal number of backstabbers. i would like to work for walmart but if i did i would make sure and research the store i was interested in. i would suggest that to anyone thinking about working for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 03:26 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,575,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarbuilder View Post
i just left walmart after a couple of yrs., not because of the company but what seems to be a store by store problem called bad management. i was 15 minutes early every day, never missed a day and did more work (all reviews were excellent) than the majority. however they had a mgr. who thought he was funny with his crude sexual remarks to women. he also picked on males if you made it on his list. believe it or not hundreds of people came and went because of him and he still works there today. they supposedly have an open door policy were you can go to a higher mgr., but if you do you better have another job lined up. i think the mgrs have a hidden support network where they cover for each other. the money was ok. met some really nice co-workers and an equal number of backstabbers. i would like to work for walmart but if i did i would make sure and research the store i was interested in. i would suggest that to anyone thinking about working for them.
I used to work at Wal-Mart too a few years ago and its true, you might as well quit if you use the open door policy cause they will find a way to get rid of you.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:29 AM

Another thing I notice Wal-Mart does is they will find any excuse to let someone go that has been with the company for many years and are making a descent hourly wage, then they notify them and tell them they can re-apply in 3 months but they will come back starting off just like any other person, this is how they keep their veterans and their hard workers at a low pay.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:08 PM

8,264 posts, read 18,715,719 times
That is very sad to hear, but not surprising at all. Yu might want to read the book Nickeled & Dimed in America which was written by an undercover reporter who echoes pretty much what you all just said.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-20-2009, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,352 times
Default response

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
[FONT=Fixedsys]I don’t know why so many people jump all over Wal-Mart for rules that most other employers enforce as they do. I read the Tucson headline saying that “Wal-Mart staff rules are called too strict.” I thought, what is Wal-Mart doing that is so different than any other employer? Then I read the article and found that employees coming to work ten minutes or more late for three times might be given a demerit. Too many demerits and you could be fired. I laughed because I spent 25 years in law enforcement and coming to work 10 minutes late just once was a major deal. If a person comes in late, without a valid reason, they should be given a warning. If the tardiness continues, they should be fired! I just don’t get it. Wal-Mart is doing so well that it becomes the business to pick on. [/FONT]

[FONT=Fixedsys]Some people have said that shopping at Wal-Mart is hurting the economy because all they sell is cheap China goods. Well, when I go into other stores I see the same merchandise that Wal-Mart is selling, only at much higher prices. How are those stores any different? I know several Super Wal-Mart employees and they all say that they are just glad that they have jobs there. Maybe someone can tell me why we should hate Wal-Mart? [/FONT]

There are many things wrong with wal-mart I will share with you a few of them.

In Mexico, Wal-mart built a store on sacred ground even though the locals portested it.

Wal-mart fires workers who want to be unionized.

Wal-mart makes over 20 BILLION DOLLARS yearly and yet they do NOT pay their workers a living wage.

Many of their workers are so poor they have to be on public assistances - even though they work full-time - this comes out of tax payers pockets and Wal-mart pockets the money.

Cheap goods that are of cheap quality mean that shoppers have to return to buy the same item over again because it wears out/tears up quickly.

Wal-mart recieves billions in corporate welfare in the form of tax breaks - Americans would have a fit if single mothers were given billions to feed their hungry children. Do YOU recieve billions or even millions in tax breaks?

Because they are the biggest employer what they do or don't do for their workers impacts enourmously on the economy.

While Wal-mart has raised their prices they have yet to raise the salary of their workers.

Wal-mart health insurance for their workers is a JOKE.

Wal-mart's CEO stated that workers would get better health care from public assistance than what Wal-mart provides for them.

Each Walton child earns over 20 million per year. Why all they did was get lucky enough to be born into the family - they have done nothing to deserve it.

That is just a few of the reasons that people should not shop at Wal-mart and yes it is because they are the biggest employer that they are picked on because they effect more people here and worldwide more than any other company. If they wanted to they could help more people than they hurt but they worship the almight dollar.

Also, the money that Wal-mart graciously donates to organizations - that doesn't come from them - it comes from people who shop there and then donate money to programs like the Children's Miracle Network - Wal-mart donates all that money in THEIR NAME and then uses it as A TAX writeoff - one more way they save themselves money so they can live better.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:06 PM

Your statement is so Newtonian. People are not cogs in a machine. I worked at Wal-mart when my father passed away. I was scheduled to work that week-end but used my time off to attend his funeral that Friday. Well, I get a call from the manager Friday night - not to offer condolences but to say they were short handed and could I not possibly come to work on Saturday.

People run into problems that may arise and cause them to be late to work. A death in the family, car trouble - remember these people don't make a lot of money and many do not have reliable transportation, sick kids - many who work there are single mothers who can't afford child care, etc.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:19 PM

azloafer

You think you are saving money but you are not. Wal-mart doesn't pay their workers a living wage. This means that many full-time workers have to be on public assistance (even though wal-mart makes BILLIONS annually) this comes out of the pockets of tax payers - how does that save you any money?

They TAKE BILLIONS in corporate welfare every year - that means the AMERICAN PEOPLE subsidize the corporation - Do you recieve a billion dollars, a million dollars, even thousands of dollars in public assistance every year? Why not when a big corporation that makes billions does? PEOPLE on public assistance don't even get enough to last the month why do we have to support a company? How does supporting them save you money?

Their motto saving you money so you can live better. Live better than whom? A homeless person, a person in a third world country? Certainly not better than a WALTON, or their children, or their grandchildren - all of whom have done NOTHING to benefit from the money.

Sam Walton was such a cheap person he relied on others to pay for his cup of coffee at restaurants - we are still supporting him and his family - how does that save you money?

Old 12-20-2009, 02:21 PM

They are forever putting returns back on the shelves for customers to buy again. Once the items have been purchased and returned they are no longer new, however, in Wal-marts love of the almighty dollar they continue to put the customer and the AMERICAN people last.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:16 PM

34,430 posts, read 43,272,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigglehater View Post
They are forever putting returns back on the shelves for customers to buy again. Once the items have been purchased and returned they are no longer new, however, in Wal-marts love of the almighty dollar they continue to put the customer and the AMERICAN people last.
Not just Wal-Mart. My locally owned, small business Ace Hardware does it, too. Just tapes the package back together. If the item has multiple parts they don't even check to see if all the parts have been returned.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:36 PM

wal-mart also leaves their frozen food out sitting in the back for a while untill the next crew comes in, and by that time, the food is already starting to defrost, my friend works there, you people wouldnt believe all the shady business that goes on there.

there have been 2 people in the last 2 years that have died on Wal-Mart property because Wal-Mart would not let them go home when they were sick, Im not even lying either, this took place at the Coors Bypass location in ABQ.

a cashier lady was caught with vodka in her water bottle and still has her job, but someone that is making top dollar of Wal-Mart money would have been fired right away, anything to get rid of the money makers, they are also cutting hours and are on a hiring freeze, they are making the employees pick up slack in other areas. A hiring freeze during the holidays, that is the one time of year when most places hire, for seasonals at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products