U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:54 AM

30,579 posts, read 68,119,809 times

Advertisements

That other paragraph I quoted also seemed very condascending in tone to both me and "AreYouSerious", and it struck me quite a bit as being very similar to that "operations personnel know less than I do" type of mentality that I see all the time in our store's management. I don't at all like managers who think they "know it all," which is what we have here at Lowe's. Running a successful business is a two-way street, I value the inputs I receive from management and respect them, but I also expect them to be responsive to some of my suggestions. Instead, everything I recommend is shot down as if I know nothing just because I'm a 20-year-old on the bottom rungs of the career ladder at the company. In my opinion, the most successful businesses are those in which employees feel EMPOWERED---places where workers feel as if what they're doing is making a positive difference in their workplace and can see management is willing to listen constructive suggestions instead of assuming "they're all wrong." Here at Lowe's, our employees are so miserable because of that social hierarchy we have here of no interdepartmental communication or respect. Why should I continue to put 110% effort into a company that only puts 90% effort into its employees' job satisfaction? That whole paragraph, to me, makes it sound as if you were totally unsympathetic to the individual case of "AreYouSerious", in which it sounded as if the manager was moreso at fault for degrading his/her employee in front of fellow co-workers and customers alike. ANY manager who'd resort to public humiliation as a form of leverage in a one-time truancy situation deserves every bit of backlash he/she receives from the employee! It's bad enough that I walk into work everyday feeling like I'm "beneath" everyone around me; why should I have to endure having that MAGNIFIED with stares from others as I'm being screamed at like a child? Granted, I've never before been late to work, but if I did happen to at some point down the road for a flat tire and had a situation similar to that of "AreYouSerious", I'd give the manager back exactly the same humiliation he/she was tossing onto me through his/her public display of rudeness. As others have said, retail jobs are a dime a dozen, so why don't managers try to make a greater effort at retaining GOOD EMPLOYEES while they have them instead of losing them over something so trivial, as with the case of "AreYouSerious?"

Once again, I'm sorry if I mistook your tone in BOTH quotations, but it almost sounded to me as if you're the type who would quite literally open up a manual for every employee infraction, no matter how insignificant, and quote something, right from the text! MoMark, I know you to be a very nice young woman who is optimistic about your home state, but sometimes you need to realize that there are "hidden" issues in retail that customers don't see in the form of discrimination, intentional profit-skimming through understaffing, flagrant safety violations (all in existence at our store), etc., and sometimes all it takes is for one last straw from another seemingly uncaring, unkind manager to send all of these issues boiling over the top! I'd love to be a "whistle-blower" of sorts to the company CEO if I didn't fear retribution! As I said, $9/hr. is "big bucks" in my metro; where I could find a similar wage is unknown, which is why I just endure these injustices against my mental health!

Hurting your feelings was not my intention; I just thought you were being very cruel and condascending towards "AreYouSerious" without realizing that sometimes enduring injustices from corrupt managers day-in and day-out can lead to people boiling over the top as she did when she worked for Wal-Mart! If my interpretation of your mood towards her was off-base, then I apologize again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 03:45 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,423,354 times
You go Scranton! Hey, you really SHOULD look around though...Money isn't worth risking your health! I mean, you're young & all, but still...That's alot of stress & effort & anger to put up with, ESPECIALLY since you're in school too!!! LOOK OUT FOR YOUR HEALTH #1!!! (You have alot of "moms" on here! )

Mo - yeah, I took you the same way as Scranton. The way you talk about "going to HR"...If I worked extra & my manager even LOOKED at me for being 15 mins late the next day, I would (& HAVE!!!) IMMEDIATELY give back a look of "Excuse me?!" Now mind you I work in F&B which is a department where people are NOT anal, & you CAN "back talk/curse" to/with your supervisors. Not the F&B DIRECTOR or anything! but your immediate sups...

I once worked for the county (Library) & I had been picked as full time after working part time & passing the interview. Now mind you, these people KNEW that I was making a BIG (understatement!!!) change in hours even from the part time which was in itself a big change!!! I had ALWAYS worked 2nd shift but was working maybe 11-5 for the part time. That's already a BIG difference when you've started ALWAYS anywhere between 3 & 6!!!
So the full time started at 8!!!!!!
Now obviously I was willing to adjust (or try to!) for the job! But cut me some F*UCKIN SLACK, wouldja???!!! Jeezus f*ckin christ almighty!!!!!!!!
The d*mn branch manager called me into her office because MY ALARM DIDN'T GO OFF ONE DAY!!!!!! I came in OBVIOUSLY flustered! I had called! And the library ISN'T EVEN OPEN YET!!!!!!! We were having a "meeting" (I could go on for ETERNITY about the UTTER USELESSNESS of "meetings" - ie BS session!!!!!) & she's telling me I can't ever be late again. THAT WAS THE FIRST TIME I WAS LATE!!!!!!!!!
I'm getting angry just thinking about this. It was like being in the army - the other manager thought I looked at her funny so they had my immediate supervisor talk to me! God what a NIGHTMARE that was!!!!!!!
I actually NOTICED that the books on the "new books" shelf were over a year old! So I started pulling them! Was I thanked & told I was observant? NO!!!! I was told not to worry about that, it's not my job!!!!!!!!!!!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

F&B (actually ALL business!) has it's issues, but it's the place for me!
I'm appreciated for my customer service! And after 5 years, I could pretty much shrug off any supervisor complaints! Now they're closing for renovations & they eliminated my position so I'm getting severance & will likely start at a new hotel in Dec. So I have a long payed vacation!
I haven't been officially hired yet, but with 6 years experience, 2 interviews, good reference checks, I think it's a good shot!
Man I remember when you went to get a job & they could tell from talking to you if they want to hire you or not! Now they have a zillion interviews and personality tests...

Old 11-05-2006, 05:24 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,117,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Man I remember when you went to get a job & they could tell from talking to you if they want to hire you or not! Now they have a zillion interviews and personality tests...
I hear ya! I've especially noticed the difference here in Florida.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:39 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,810,588 times
Quote:
The way you talk about "going to HR"...If I worked extra & my manager even LOOKED at me for being 15 mins late the next day, I would (& HAVE!!!) IMMEDIATELY give back a look of "Excuse me?!"
I agree completely. My take on management is it is just a license for them to stand around,in most of my experience. It is funny how management seems to forget what it was like to be the little guy. On RARE occasions a working manager comes around. Most of these types of places take advantage of their employees,they want you to give your blood and give nothing in return. I know I'm in food service and hate it.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:41 AM

702 posts, read 2,913,509 times
Default Where Are These "all American" Stores???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
I refuse to shop at wally world. i will buy american made first, then will shop small stores to help them. american low class not poor class shop at walmart.
there products are driven to lowest quality to get to low price. you people want all the benifits, medical , retirement etc. yet support a company that pays low, and no benifits, just part time work.
Where are these stores that sell all "American Made" products? What small stores have products that don't come from China? When the Super Wal-Mart came to our town a couple hundred people who had no job suddenly had a place to work. People say that they feel sorry for the Wal-Mart employees, but if you talk to them they say that they are glad to have a job. Our Super Wal-Mart is the busiest place in town.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:23 AM

Thumbs down Part One

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Where are these stores that sell all "American Made" products? What small stores have products that don't come from China? When the Super Wal-Mart came to our town a couple hundred people who had no job suddenly had a place to work. People say that they feel sorry for the Wal-Mart employees, but if you talk to them they say that they are glad to have a job. Our Super Wal-Mart is the busiest place in town.
Did you speak to these hourly employees before or after they were informed by their company that their wages would be permanently frozen at a certain cap? When I heard Wal-Mart announce that it would stop pay raises for long-time employees, I was shocked! In other words, I could start at age 16 as a cashier earning $6/hr., at age 30, after investing in the company for 14 years as a well-experienced cashier earning an annual $0.25/hr. raise, I'm told that I'll be earning $9.50/hr. from age 30 to retirement?! Granted, I'd hope most people would be more ambitious to actually go to futher their educations and not pine for a lifelong career as an hourly worker at Wal-Mart, but for those with their G.E.D. who are relying on Wal-Mart to help feed their children, how can a wage cap be tolerated in a nation with ever-increasing expenditures? Do you mean to tell me that a person's living expenses will be able to be covered just as adequately on $9.50/hr. in 2006 as they will be in 2016? This is the reason why so many taxpayers, including myself and my family, are paying to help clothe and feed the children of Wal-Mart employees through government-subsidized programs. If this company truly is the largest and most-profitable in the world, then why should I have to pay to assist any of their employees just because they can't afford the benefits plans that the company offers while making $6.50/hr.? Aren't the Walton's all BILLIONAIRES anyways? Would it kill them to sacrifice some of their own luxuries so their own employees wouldn't have to beg for government handouts?

Furthermore, I refuse to ever set foot in a Wal-Mart again after watching the documentary "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price." In it, I saw the sad tale of a mom-and-pop grocery store in the MidWest (IGA), which was forced to shutter its doors after Wal-Mart came to town. The municipality, county, etc. all gave tremendous subsidies, tax abatements, and grants to "woo" Wal-Mart into their town, which put the corporate behemoth at an unfair advantage over the IGA, which was denied when it likewise asked for a tax abatement to help offset its Wal-Mart-induced losses. I had to watch this elderly couple nearly fighting back tears as they talked about their store's once-prolific rise as a hometown staple until the "Smiley Face " stepped in and shut them down! Are you also aware of the fact that Wal-Mart has an unfair advantage even over its own foreign suppliers, who will actually cave in to meet Wal-Mart's demands for the price it's willing to pay for its merchandise? Being able to obtain its merchandise at dirt-cheap prices that mom-and-pop can't likewise get is what allows them to sell you their junk at "Everyday low, low prices!"

Old 11-05-2006, 10:24 AM

Thumbs down Part Two

Wal-Mart also engages in unfair (and what I thought to be illegal) predatory pricing, in which they'll slash their prices on certain goods so much that they'll actually take a loss on them. That loss is more than counterbalanced by profits on other goods, but they often do this predatory pricing to put existing competitors, whose entire business depends upon those particular goods, out of business, as they're unable to compete with the pricing. For example, let's say I decide to open a custom grill store here in Scranton, which sells nothing but grills, grill covers, utensils, propane tanks, and other grill-related accessories. Then, Wal-Mart decides to build a store just a half-mile down the street on an undeveloped tract of land. Wal-Mart's cronies have already been in my store "disguised" as customers, and they've taken note of my prices on all of my goods, as well as my apparent suppliers. At Wal-Mart's grand opening, they offer a similar stainless-steel grill to my own best-selling staple (perhaps even from the same supplier), and sell it at half of what I'm charging for it! Let's assume that I have a profit margin of 25% on each grill that I buy at $400, which I'll sell to the general public at $500 for a $100 profit. In order to match Wal-Mart's predatory price, I'd have to slash my sales price to $250, in which I'd take a loss of $150 per every grill sold! I'd then find out that Wal-Mart seems to be using the same supplier as myself, but they were able to negotiate a purchase price of each grill of $300 (taking a loss of only $50 per sale, which is easily-absorbed by other unrelated sales), while I can't get that same price from the supplier due to my limited clout. I then discover that Wal-Mart is also offering a free grill cover, propane tank exchange, and set of utensils for the first 50 of these grills purchased. Obviously, I can't lower my prices on the related accessories to $0, so I begin to notice less and less people sauntering into my store as they hear about Wal-Mart's incredible pricing! Soon, I'm forced to shutter my doors; as I was the only other grill supplier in town, Wal-Mart is now free to jack up its price on that grill to $550 or even higher if it so chose, which would actually be $50+ more than what I used to charge before the price wars, but Wal-Mart's mostly low-class customers aren't intelligent enough to understand these complex economic issues, falling for every piece of bait tossed in their general direction by the corporate behemoth.

If you all really think that Wal-Mart is beneficial to our downtowns and our quality-of-life, then you don't have very high expectations in retail, do you?
Wal-Mart is slowly but surely killing off all independent comptetition to the point where it may someday be able to rake us over the coals in pricing! Then again, we'd have nowhere else to shop anyways, so we'd have to pay those exorbitant prices!

Old 11-05-2006, 12:14 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,199,662 times
We have a new Super Wal-Mart going in, a couple of miles or so from my house, (opening next month, I believe). I do my grocery shopping at my local Publix, (while I realize that it is also a chain, it is not near the "monster" that Wal-Mart is). Anyway, I was recently asked by one of the cashiers if I would start buying my groceries at Wal-Mart when it opens. I'm sure they're concerned with how this will affect their customer base. I can't answer for anyone else, but I can tell you that I will continue to do my shopping at Publix. It's more pleasant, it's easier, they treat you well, and I'm always impressed with the managers. (As an aside, my son's best friend works at Wal-Mart. He calls it the "seventh level of hell". )

Old 11-05-2006, 01:16 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,143,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Mo - yeah, I took you the same way as Scranton. The way you talk about "going to HR"...
elfyum... Managers and Human Resources Departments work in tandem, they cooperate. Human Resources isn't the "Principal's Office". It's not even the decision-maker. It acts an advisory role. Management and HR work together to resolve employee issues. Management has goals to meet, numbers to crank out, schedules to cover -a business to run, etc. Human Resources is concerned with making sure that management is following all labor laws and being fair and even-handed in evaluation of employees, hiring of employees to make sure that there's no discrimination, and treating employees fairly in situations that may conflict with management. I don't think you get this, but good managers try to do that themselves and avoid situations that unfairly penalize employees. If you've experienced otherwise, I'm sorry, but that's not my responsibility or a reflection of the workplaces I've managed in. That has never been the case where I've managed. And I never said "going to HR" like YOU BAD GIRL!! You're in for it now! Where did you pick that up from?? I said we discuss it with HR (meaning we WORK with HR) in cases where someone with good reason is having attendance issues and try to find accomodation. The reason we work with HR instead of making arbitrary exceptions as management in many cases is we have to make sure we're not setting a favoritism precedent that can be used as the legal basis by someone else to use at a discrimination hearing and accuse us of treating employees not equally. One deserving person getting a schedule change based on real life issues beyond his or her control can result in another employee feeling that we gave that person special treatment and have them sue for discrimination, even if they didn't have the same deserving situation, etc. Working with HR we discuss whether we can justify actions to make exceptions so that we protect the business from lawsuits while giving the deserving person what he or she needs. Why is this so hard to process Elfyum?
And Scranton... I'm a man. I have a *****, two *********, and last time I looked they weren't in recession. I have no intention of changing my sex
And, the quotes you made references to, if you read in chronological context should have explained themselves in relation to the posts they countered. I think that you've both taken personal baggage into interpretation and missed the point.

Last edited by MoMark; 11-05-2006 at 01:51 PM..

Old 11-05-2006, 01:28 PM

702 posts, read 2,913,509 times
I guess everyone looks at it differently. As far as a cap on raises: I live on SS and the small raise that is given most years is consumed by the money increase taken off for Medicare. The goverment now takes off $88.50 per month for the insurance whether I use their insurance or a private insurance. You are fortunate to have another store [PUBLIX] in your area. Walmart is the only clothing store that we have for the every-day shopper. The three grocery stores that we have [two are Safeway] charge high prices compared to Wal-Mart. I am not a good cook, so I buy a lot of TV Dinners. A lot of the TV dinners at Walmart are $1.00 less than the other stores; this is for the same brand and size. So, if I pick the less expensive dinners at Walmart I can easily save $7.00 per week on just this one item! The savings goes on like this for many items. Careful shopping can save an easy $40.00 per week! Are us SS recipients ruining the US economy? We have to be thrifty to make that check last. I don't have a choice if I want to make it to the next month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products