U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 11:04 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,423,354 times

Advertisements

Mo - take a chill pill dude!
Seriously, you are responding in an uncalled for nasty manner. Now maybe it just comes across that way, so in that case, just ignore.
But in any case, we obviously work in VERY different enviornments and I don't appreciate being spoken to in a condescending way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by momark
Why is this so hard to process Elfyum?
And Scranton... I'm a man. I have a *****, two *********, and last time I looked they weren't in recession. I have no intention of changing my sex
I think that you've both taken personal baggage into interpretation and missed the point.
That's not a respectful way to speak to people on a message board that you don't even know. I certainly hope you do not speak to your coworkers, friends or family in this arrogant manner!!!
Just for your edification, where I work, saying you're taking someone/something to HR is the equivalent of saying "Let's take it outside!" Them's fightin words!!!
It's different for you. Gotcha. Please use more respect when responding.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 11:30 PM

30,579 posts, read 68,119,809 times
Actually, Elfyum, I can see MoMark's point of view now, and I agree with him! The problem with MoMark is that he's jaded---He apparently fails to realize that in some companies, including my own store, we don't have a tried-and-true "grapevine" of sorts where employees can go to vent if they feel that their rights are being violated. Our human resources department in our store is NOT a separate entity from store management, and anything we say to either outlet gets relayed to the other. As such, when we're frustrated with the limited inputs we're receiving (adequate staffing levels) to achieve maximum total output (ecstatic customers who will become repeat business), we have NOWHERE to turn! I've already questioned how we can have two newly-vacated loader positions with a potential for two more vacancies by the end of the year (leaving me alone as our very busy store's sole loader) and have "no room on the payroll" to replace even one of them, and I was met with nothing but a downright lie (I'm more intelligent than I seem, and I know when someone's trying to pull the wool over my eyes!)

MoMark does seem to be very "programmed" in the way he treats his employees, but in a way I now understand where he's coming from---He can't risk showing "preferential" treatment to one employee in fear that others will cry bias! Unfortunately, MoMark, we're not all lucky enough to work where you do---Some companies, including my own (and it sounds like Wal-Mart as well), continually abuse their employees to the point where they feel like what they contribute to their company means nothing. If I managed my Lowe's store, I'd strive to make my operatives feel like they were empowered to provide "WOW" customer service! In order to do so, I'd have to make them feel as if they were being appreciated by management (an occasional Christmas party, chicken bar-b-que, or "employee of the month" incentive would be a start). I walk out from work everyday nearly in tears, feeling as if nobody at the company cares about how deeply I care about my job and our customers. When I was told to "suck it up" when I asked what to do about not being able to take breaks or lunches on Saturdays anymore for a grueling nine-hour solo shift on a day of the week when our massive parking lot is at 90% capacity, I truly realized that I mean nothing to this place anymore. If you don't agree that getting your employees ENTHUSIASTIC about having a stake in your company's success is imperative to maximizing your profits, then you're a horrific manager!

By the way, MoMark, I accidentally mistook you for "MarkS", another member who recently shocked me by announcing that he was actually a "she", and I apologize! It's nice to hear that you have a set of male genitalia (Just keep in mind that I'm Italian, and you know what they say about Italian guys...)

Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 AM

2,814 posts, read 12,143,061 times
I'm sorry you felt my response to you was disrespectful and condescending Elfyum. Honestly, your posting I was responding to told me I was wrong, and then used your personal experience unrelated to the discussion I had with Areyouserious to make the point. I was thinking... where is she coming from???? I'm sorry you took it as nasty, etc. I reread it and though I didn't mean it in the tone you interpreted it as (I was actually quite calm and resigned when I wrote it), I can see how you took it that way. I'm sorry I came across as such.
And ScrantonWilkesBarres. I've not dealt with companies where HR doesn't work in concert with, but independently from management. Their job is to protect the company they represent while also protecting their employees. If Lowe's isn't doing that and management is controlling their HR department and personal and private information is being exchanged between HR personnel and Management, then that can expose Lowe's to huge lawsuits. If you feel wrongfully treated, discriminated against, or in some way unfairly targeted by management, and you don't trust your HR dept. to keep your complaint confidential while investigating it, then you can contact the local EEO of the Department of Commerce, as well as your county Labor board and go outside the company. They will let you know that some release of confidentiality would be required to pursue the claim, but you're also then legally protected from retaliation. If people at work, management, other employees, etc. make an effort to give you the evil eye or treat you in a way that is clearly meant to intimidate you, then you have the basis to claim a hostile work place and that brings TONS of laws into play on your side. I became aware once of one HR councilor who was divulging personal information from employees to low-level managers because she thought she could gossip with me! I informed my immediate supervisor who took it directly to the Director who took it to the Director of HR and that councilor was actually placed on a Final Corrective Action and removed from a counseling position or access to sensitive files. Also, about breaks and lunches...some states require them, some don't unless you're a working minor. I looked up Pennsylvania - an "At Will" employment state (meaning you can be fired without reason or quit without notice). Here's what I found and it surprised me: "Pennsylvania employers are required to provide break periods of at least 30 minutes for minors ages 14 through 17 who work five or more consecutive hours. Employers are not required to give breaks for employees 18 and over. If your employer allows breaks, and they last less than 20 minutes, you must be paid for the break. If your employer allows meal periods, the employer is not required to pay you for your meal period if you do not work during your meal period and it lasts more than 20 minutes." About Overtime. Here's what I lifted from laborlawtalkdotcom: "PA does not have a daily overtime law. If the employer wants to shorten an employee's work day later in the week to avoid having the employee go over 40 hours they can do so.
BUT if he worked 45 hours one week and they made him work 35 the next week... that would be wrong! ----If this occurs then the employer MUST pay the employee for 5 hours overtime for the week in excess of 40 hours. The employer cannot roll over the 5 hours into the next week and count that as straight time, that is illegal."

I've never worked in a large company where we didn't over two paid 15 breaks in an 8 hour shift with one 30 minute unpaid lunch (total 8.5 scheduled hours). Each state does it differently and has different laws. But you are entitled to OT if you go over 40 hours in a week. Anyway, you're right what you say about managing employees and your Lowe's is doing a very poor job. I held weekly potlucks on Saturdays, brought Krispy Kreme in so often that I had to get a discount card to save money. Took my employees to local buffets for dinner, even once to The Cheesecake Factory, but that cost me personally $500 and I almost died when I got the bill! It may seem weird, but we laughed and had fun all day long while making sure we did our jobs. My rigidity is concerning bad employees, not good ones. Bad employees ...we've all seen them. I didn't waste a calorie on them but followed procedure until they quit or I fired them. Good employees I bent over backwards while maintaining fairness. That's a shame what you're experiencin. I know you said that jobs are scarce there, but I'd quit and find something else.

Last edited by MoMark; 11-07-2006 at 01:11 AM..

Old 04-10-2007, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
Wink Wal MART

Wal mart is a little store that is so random but you can buy almost anything there. But the Cloths Suck they are not brand name. u will get made fun of if you were it. hahahaha. the THING THAT WAL MART DOESNT HAVE IS BOOKS! LIKE OMG.... COME ON WALLY MART GET BOOKS THERE. they do have toys for kids but that little kids. and there make-up is ok for quick make up....
i dont shop a walla walla mart.....
and proud babe
why do people??
whatev.... but i have been there before for the quick shop
hehehehe
BYEEEEEEEEE

Old 04-11-2007, 02:55 PM

7,562 posts, read 16,553,448 times
Are you 7 years old ? What was the point in that post ?

Old 04-15-2007, 11:47 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,520,674 times
Haven't darkened the doorway of a Walmart or Sam's Club in years. First, because I sat, unpaid, for 11 hours in a loading dock at one of their distribution centers while they used my trailer for free storage before unloading me. (That's how you make money in the New Economy; ; cheat others out of their time, labor or other resources... ) The other reason we don't shop at Walmart is that we darn sure want to send our money to Bentonville, AR or the corporate HQ of any big box store in another state. We do our best to spend money where it will go into the pockets of local businesses and stay in our local community!

Old 04-15-2007, 06:46 PM

2,112 posts, read 5,341,380 times
^^Excellent point. Walmart is the perfect example of a company that knows how to do business. They are too good at it, yet they are possibly the crappiest store of all time. Target is much nicer and caters to individual areas' needs, but still is a big box. Big boxes and lots of chains suck, and suck business from regular stores and restaurants that are so much better. Look at Macy's. They are the next big box, they have single handedly bought up half of all department stores. No longer can you go to a burdine's here in fl, a rich's in atl, or even a marshall field's in chicago. In fact the famous marshall field's department store in chicago is now just a macy's which is typically just a run of the mill store. The day that walmart goes bankrupt this world will be a better place! And i am happy to be able to say i really have to go out of my way to find a walmart near me. There are plenty, but out in the burbs.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:18 AM

942 posts, read 1,089,547 times
I like the prices at walmart, but I can't honestly say I understand how high the total is for so few items when I get the total grocery bill, it seems extremly high for items that are relatively cheap, and for no more than 5 plastic grocery bags, that total almost $100. I also find I have started growing tired of the impersonal and we don't care type of atmosphere at least at the few super walmart that are here in Oregon. I mean, there are as many as 12 or more cash registers and only 2 cashiers. Today I was snapped at because the debit card machine message told me to tell the cashier to press a key. I realize they are overworked but it is not my fault, and quite honestly not my problem, I have done my duty by paying the price of the food items. I am finding I don't want to shop in that smug type of atmosphere, like the prices are supposedly cheaper but forget getting treated with any courtesy and give us the money, and then get the hell out of the store, so we can quickly race the next customer thru the line. I know walmart has had some serious legal issues with the Portland area, several store permits have been refused and legal battles, I don't know if that is part of the strange atmosphere at their one super walmart, but I for one think I will no longer shop there.

I like Walmart prices, and the $4.00 pharmacy prices have been a big help, but something really has me baffled with Walmart. I have noticed the past few months, my grocery bill seems extremely high. It is just me, and I don't buy but maybe 5 bags of groceries in those small plastic bags they give us. I buy items ranging in price from 65 cents to a high of about 3 at the most, and that is the bread 2 loafs. This bill has gone from about $65 for these few groceries to about $100, I know it doesn't sound like much to a family that comes out with 12 groceries bags or so, but I look down at what I bought and I don't have much of anything, and how could 65 cents in items and a container of OJ for $3.00 come up to this price, seems strange.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:26 AM

366 posts, read 278,854 times
I don't shop at Wal*Mart. If I pay a little more for something somewhere else, oh well; I figure I'm paying for my quality of life by shopping locally as much as possible. Besides, there is very little there that I would buy.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:48 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,947,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Haven't darkened the doorway of a Walmart or Sam's Club in years. First, because I sat, unpaid, for 11 hours in a loading dock at one of their distribution centers while they used my trailer for free storage before unloading me. (That's how you make money in the New Economy; ; cheat others out of their time, labor or other resources... ) The other reason we don't shop at Walmart is that we darn sure want to send our money to Bentonville, AR or the corporate HQ of any big box store in another state. We do our best to spend money where it will go into the pockets of local businesses and stay in our local community!
You couldn't have said it better Crew Chief. Not to mention all the companies that move to third world countries where the labour is cheap, so that they can do continue to do business with Wal-Mart. All the outsourcing is causing the loss of good American and Canadian manufacturing jobs. Basically these big companies are just corporate welfare bums. I rarely shop at Wal-mart, only when I'm totally desperate and I make sure that's not often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products