U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:46 PM

19,150 posts, read 19,988,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadybug View Post
It saddens me greatly that so many mom and pop stores go out of business once a Wal-mart goes in to a town.
We have 2 WM's and it sure didn't happen in my town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 05:01 PM

702 posts, read 2,914,344 times
I think the key is to sell something or provide a service that Wal-Mart doesn't. There is plenty of room for all types of stores. I shop in many stores including Wal-Mart.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:24 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,127,415 times
If the company offers cheaPprices ;people whine. If they offer high prices peole whine about them being crooks. Kind of hard to win in the USA it seems.Love suprer wal-mart prices and that has made others compete.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:12 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,580,763 times
most of the time Wal-Marts prices are higher than several stores, some things are cheaper some are not and I think most people are fooled by the "everday low prices" slogan" , In some towns Wal-Mart will charge whatever they want cause there is no where else to shop.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:06 PM

40,083 posts, read 48,999,814 times
Walmart prices goods according to economic status areas. One side of town can be cheaper/higher than the other side.
Funny thing about Walmart stores. When they announce they are comming to town to build near where-ever, 900 people will complain and protest, yet when Walmart has their Grand Opening, those 900 are right there when the door opens, first in line.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:49 PM

219 posts, read 387,892 times
Where I live the Wal-Mart that was being built was protested and the city actually stopped them from coming. One local business owner (small pet store) was very open about his dislike for Wal-Mart. Well, he went out of business even before Wal-Mart came . Well, Wal-Mart eventually came but it wasn't the reason for these businesses closing up. Wal-Mart is ok, I shop there sometimes even though they have the worst produce.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:07 PM

534 posts, read 1,438,049 times
We have 2 Super Walmarts in our city. They haven't shut the other grocery stores down. I shop at Walmart for the most part. I have a hard time going to HyVee and paying 4 dollars for something that's 2 dollars at Walmart. Plus HyVee and the other store we have don't carry everything I use, so I have to go to Walmart to get it.
We have a HyVee 3 blocks from our house so if I need a few things, I'll walk and get it. I have tried several times to just shop at HyVee, but like I said they don't carry everything I need. Plus if I need more then just groceries, it's one stop shopping at Walmart. Walmart is only about a 5 minute drive from our house.

We have 2 Supe rTargets as well which I LOVE, however their selection is very limited and they too, don't have all that I use.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:04 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,987,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
When they announce they are comming to town to build near where-ever, 900 people will complain and protest, yet when Walmart has their Grand Opening, those 900 are right there when the door opens, first in line.

How do you know they're the same people? Eh?

I haven't been in a Wal Mart in a long time, I want Godiva chocolates not that lousy half-galllon milk carton full of Whopper malted milk balls.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:56 PM

28,905 posts, read 47,370,386 times
You know, whenever I hear this whining about Wal-Mart by the Indignation Brigade, I just have to laugh. Look, I have my beefs with Wal-Mart. The aisles are too narrow. The help is virtually non-existent. But, at the same time, I'm not going there for shopping ambiance. I'm going there to save money.

In my town we have any numbers of Wal-Marts. And guess what? Most of the small business people did not go out of business. Why? Because the ones that survived realized that they couldn't beat Wal-Mart on price, but they sure could beat Wal-Mart on service. That's why there are still local hardware stores down the street from Home Depot and Loans. That's why there are clothing stores, record stores, book stores, groceries, and any number of other smaller retailers.

In short, adapt or die. And the consumers are benefitting from it.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:57 PM

143 posts, read 423,607 times
Frontline on PBS did a show on Walmart. You can watch it online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products