U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:45 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,644,042 times

Advertisements

I'm just not a Wal Mart fan. I usually try to give my money to smaller, more local type businesses. I do venture out to Wal Mart a couple times a month maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 06:13 PM

7,913 posts, read 736,743 times
we bought a hp computer ($750) from walmart, when we got home the moniter was broken, and when we looked at the box it had a return sticker from someone previous returning it, we took it back and they had no other computer to replace it with so we got our money back. we bought a xbox 360 game from walmart and when we played it it would freeze all through the game so w took it back and they gave us a new game we took it home and played it and it froze, so we went back to walmart and they would not give us cash cack even though we paid with cash. all they would give us was store credit. so we went to gamestop and bought the same game and it never froze once.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:37 PM

758 posts, read 1,050,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 109* View Post
we bought a hp computer ($750) from walmart, when we got home the moniter was broken, and when we looked at the box it had a return sticker from someone previous returning it, we took it back and they had no other computer to replace it with so we got our money back. we bought a xbox 360 game from walmart and when we played it it would freeze all through the game so w took it back and they gave us a new game we took it home and played it and it froze, so we went back to walmart and they would not give us cash cack even though we paid with cash. all they would give us was store credit. so we went to gamestop and bought the same game and it never froze once.

I would never buy a computer from Wal-mart, they aren't really a electronics store, better going off to a electronic store like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc etc

Old 07-02-2008, 03:58 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,574,640 times
my friend works at the customer service desk at wal mart and she said that when a tv or computer is retured wal mart sends it off to get repaired then sells the now refurbished computer or tv for full price.

and for everyone saving money at Wal-Mart you must never look at your local grocery store papers you get in the mail, the meat and produce is higher at wal mart than every grocery store in the city that I have shopped at, so do you buy meat at wal-mart and what are you paying for it, ground beef sells for $2.69, I usually get it for $1.99 at Smiths or Albertsons, Milk sells for about $4 a gallon, I get it for $2.50, pre packaged crappy steaks at wal mart are the most expensive Ive seen.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:40 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,395,049 times
I guess what I don't like about WM is that they sell so much stuff you really don't need. Food/groceries are one thing, but all the cheap, Chinese made junk....do you need that many placemats, baskets, tshirts, bowls?? I don't. Too much of a consumerorgy for me.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:03 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,686,242 times
Every place sells crap you don't need. That's the American way. If you don't need it, don't buy it. Don't blame Walmart. I see it at Target, Macy's, JC Penney's. Everywhere, including small mom and pop stores.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:13 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,787,680 times
Suffice to say: I will drive past a Wal-Mart to a regular store for grocery shopping.

Costco: OTOH; I can get into lots of trouble!

Back to W-M: most of those stores make me feel 'violated'------to the point I need to take a shower. Yet: I can be grubby/sweaty at a Pick-A-Part self service auto wrecking yard and I still feel 'cleaner'

Old 07-05-2008, 07:13 PM

19,105 posts, read 19,968,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
Every place sells crap you don't need. That's the American way. If you don't need it, don't buy it. Don't blame Walmart. I see it at Target, Macy's, JC Penney's. Everywhere, including small mom and pop stores.
Interesting observation bob. The May 2008 edition of National Grographic on page 170 has a list of statistics on China's exports.

One that caught my eye was: Percetage of goods sent to the US that ends up on Walmart's shelves is 9%.

So I guess that means that the remaining 91% is purchased in other US stores.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:24 PM

7,913 posts, read 736,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
I would never buy a computer from Wal-mart, they aren't really a electronics store, better going off to a electronic store like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc etc
walmart was are last choice, we went to office max(office depot) then radio shack but none of them had pc computers. i live in hawaii stuck on an island we dont have a best buy or circuit city on this island.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:32 AM

8,240 posts, read 15,395,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
I don't blame WM per se, I just won't shop there or the other places that sell the cheap Chinese cr*p. I try not to buy anything that I don't need, and if I need it, I'll look for something handmade or handcrafted. Mom and pop don't sell this junk. I disagree that having storage rooms or Pods full of junk is the American way. It's the American way as of about 1980. There WAS a time when we didn't buy Chinese cr*p.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products