U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:42 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,490,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
At first, I didn't believe the hype. Then, I went to a Target store today to look at one when I was looking for something else. The reality seemed to confirm the video that I saw on YouTube. The white doll "ginger" was the same price as the Latina doll "Alejandra", yet came with a box full of accessories. By contrast, the Alejandra doll came with only her dress and a smile. WTH? In the YouTube video, the lady said the same thing. White dolls come with extras, but minority dolls only come with one outfit.
I think we are looking to closely into this. Yes, I am comfortable in my white skin. As a white woman and the mother of a white daughter, we don't have many clothes. Perhaps you are perpetuating a stereotype about white people having lots of clothes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 09:05 AM

9,975 posts, read 17,484,050 times
@Shirina: Disney makes a Mulan doll.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:42 AM

4,929 posts, read 4,213,054 times
First world problems.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:43 AM

412 posts, read 417,735 times
I had to look up what they were. They look like American Girl knockoffs.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:03 AM

8,610 posts, read 6,396,513 times
Does the company waterboard anyone and force them to buy a 'racist' doll?

Do the dolls point at you from inside their packaging and make disparaging remarks which cause any to cry 'racist' ?

This is a non issue.

Do the toy companies make a multiracial line of 'Thomas the Tank Engine' to avoid the 'racist' label? Is Bugs Bunny 'racist'?
Does Obama get on a soap box and expound about how Sasha and Malia feel slighted because their Christmas gifts aren't marketed toward daughers of a POTUS who happens to be black = 'racist'?

BTW...the mirror in my bathroom only shows a white person when I look into it. Is the mirror 'racist'?

Will the lunacy ever end???

Old 12-27-2014, 12:10 PM

28,014 posts, read 16,318,222 times
My ex who is a minority made a facebook post where she said "I had a customer tell me she was buying a toy for a little girl through her church she got the little girl the pink legos's instead of a doll. And went on to say that 'she wished she knew the ethnicity of the child that way if she's a girl like me (meaning a black female) she didn't want to get her a white baby doll bc it would make the little girl feel bad.'
I explained to her that my mother got me all the doll it didn't matter what the skin color was. But does the skin color of the toy you are giving your child matter?" I don't know why we need to have the race of Chatty Kathy be that important. It is is nice to see Barbie, Christie and Teresa but to be honest, I think most people just buy the deluxe Barbie and then use that and other clothing for Barbie, Christie and Teresa as well.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:10 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,878,212 times
Toy designers are pretty much 100% white so this kind of thing was bound to happen.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:04 PM

11,434 posts, read 16,686,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Complaints like this one actually causes the very same racism you seem to abhor. Companies may just decide to make all of their dolls white simply to avoid the racism bloodhounds who seem to smell it under every rock and behind every tree.

Yeah, much easier to just make all of the dolls white. That way no one can point to Alejandra and cry "racism!!" because Ginger had a few more accessories. If Alejandra became Alexandra, then who really cares which doll comes with more frills, right?

I'm of mixed heritage - Asian-Indian/Filippino with some Dutch thrown in somewhere way way back. Colonialism results in mixes like mine.

And I'll be damned if there is one single Asian doll of any kind - deluxe, regular, or not. I guess I should climb up onto my soapbox and complain that there are Gingers and Alejandras and Latishas ... but I can't seem to find a Saanvi, Sakura, or Li Xiu Ying anywhere at all! No one is dressed in a sari or kimono, either, it would seem.

Oh well ...
I don't think you're looking hard enough or have looked lately. I saw some Asian themed dolls on Dec 26 no less. Of course, they weren't Our Gen. If they did make an Asian, shed come with nail polishes and mask on her face because we all know that Asian women work in nail salons..
It's easy for you adults (particularly whites) to dismiss this issue. But don't you think that a young girl might ask her parent why the one that looks like her doesnt come with all of the good stuff? I think thetis like to ask Paula Dean if she would like to help market"Dixie dolls". Each white doll would come with her own whip, mammy and rebel battle flag. Mandingo Ken sold separately.

I DID write comments to both Target and Our Gen yesterday.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:06 PM

10,080 posts, read 4,522,054 times
Quote:
That's not really a response. But you probably live in the comfort of your whiteness, so no skin off your back. Right?
Actually this post deserves a even more than your OP.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:50 PM

8,610 posts, read 6,396,513 times
Quote:
I don't think you're looking hard enough or have looked lately. I saw some Asian themed dolls on Dec 26 no less. Of course, they weren't Our Gen. If they did make an Asian, shed come with nail polishes and mask on her face because we all know that Asian women work in nail salons..
It's easy for you adults (particularly whites) to dismiss this issue. But don't you think that a young girl might ask her parent why the one that looks like her doesnt come with all of the good stuff? I think thetis like to ask Paula Dean if she would like to help market"Dixie dolls". Each white doll would come with her own whip, mammy and rebel battle flag. Mandingo Ken sold separately.

I DID write comments to both Target and Our Gen yesterday.
Racist much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or