U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 03:43 PM

10,409 posts, read 10,196,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
If people are all in an uproar about white dolls having too many clothes, why doesn't SOMEONE start their own toy company???? BTW, I resent the hell out of people who believe white people have it "better" somehow. The majority of us don't.
Agreed. Despite having a computer science degree and a real estate certificate, I'm having a horrendous time finding employment in either field, despite being so White my ancestors probably did indeed come over on the Mayflower. So then, I have no patience whatsoever for all this "White privilege" dross -- if there was a White privilege club I would have joined years ago and started generated the income that I ought to be generating at my education level.

And if the U.S. is so damn "intolerant", why do people continue to come here from every corner of the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 5 days ago)

15,437 posts, read 8,958,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Has nothing to do with research, the average person has better things to spend their time on than racism claims directed at pieces of plastic. You apparently have the time.

If I were to think about it (which pains me) I would conclude that the "minority" dolls don't come with accessories because the dolls themselves have a higher worth, so to include accessories would make their price higher than the Caucasian doll.

I'd also agree with Chaofan, there are people who's sole purpose is to find offense wherever they can.
Very funny post, and I agree. The buyer can purchase the accessories separately, I'm sure.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:25 PM

11,434 posts, read 16,685,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
This thread is real;y a consumer complaint and is in violation of the TOS which state:

This is not the right place for consumer complaints. Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument.
It is an evaluation (s) of a product.
What have all of these other ppl been doing? They certainly weren't parroting my comments, thoughts or opinions.
This thread is about the lack of nonwhite dolls in this product line and charging more for nonwhite dolls/accessories, not about which white people that are unable to find jobs or cope with with white privilege.
Please stick to the topic of the thread.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:01 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,269,197 times
I think there is an issue with what the OP stated. A lot of race issues are class-based. Thus, we see that the only wealthy-looking dolls with accessories are White. It's like people assume that Black and Latino people can't afford anything. In addition, I'm having a problem with the lack of representation of all other races in the doll collection. Where are the West Asian/North African, Indigenous (Native American, Alaskan Native, Aboriginal Australian, Pacific Islander, etc), and Asian (including Indian, Pakistani, etc) dolls?

Obviously there are issues bigger than this one, but I don't get why people are acting blind to the issue of ignorance even in the toy market? White privilege must be the answer.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:39 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,102,825 times
cot dammit I meant to go look at these heavily debated dolls while in Target today and I forgot until I just saw this thread

oh welll I did manage to score a bag of their delicious popcorn though

Old 12-28-2014, 09:03 PM

543 posts, read 881,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
At first, I didn't believe the hype. Then, I went to a Target store today to look at one when I was looking for something else. The reality seemed to confirm the video that I saw on YouTube. The white doll "ginger" was the same price as the Latina doll "Alejandra", yet came with a box full of accessories. By contrast, the Alejandra doll came with only her dress and a smile. WTH? In the YouTube video, the lady said the same thing. White dolls come with extras, but minority dolls only come with one outfit.
My mom is a redhead...and a Puerto Rican, so if these dolls would had been available in the 70's (when she was a little girl), which one would had been the right one for her?

Old 12-28-2014, 09:28 PM

15,332 posts, read 13,784,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I think there is an issue with what the OP stated. A lot of race issues are class-based. Thus, we see that the only wealthy-looking dolls with accessories are White. It's like people assume that Black and Latino people can't afford anything. In addition, I'm having a problem with the lack of representation of all other races in the doll collection. Where are the West Asian/North African, Indigenous (Native American, Alaskan Native, Aboriginal Australian, Pacific Islander, etc), and Asian (including Indian, Pakistani, etc) dolls?

Obviously there are issues bigger than this one, but I don't get why people are acting blind to the issue of ignorance even in the toy market? White privilege must be the answer.
Here is what needs to be done.

Selling dolls off the shelf will be BANNED.

ALL dolls will have to be special ordered, according to race......at quadruple the price.

{the cost to produce each race of doll will be averaged in, so all dolls will cost the same}

Collateral damage?......poor kids, no matter their race, don't get to have a doll at all.

Last edited by Annie53; 12-28-2014 at 09:39 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 09:51 PM

11,434 posts, read 16,685,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Agreed. Despite having a computer science degree and a real estate certificate, I'm having a horrendous time finding employment in either field, despite being so White my ancestors probably did indeed come over on the Mayflower. So then, I have no patience whatsoever for all this "White privilege" dross -- if there was a White privilege club I would have joined years ago and started generated the income that I ought to be generating at my education level.

And if the U.S. is so damn "intolerant", why do people continue to come here from every corner of the world?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Here is what needs to be done.

Selling dolls off the shelf will be BANNED.

ALL dolls will have to be special ordered, according to race......at quadruple the price.

{the cost to produce each race of doll will be averaged in, so all dolls will cost the same}

Collateral damage?......poor kids, no matter their race, don't get to have a doll at all.

Give me a break. You know darn well that these dolls are mass produced in some third world sweatshop. Manufacturing costs are the least of their concerns.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:56 PM

28,011 posts, read 16,311,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post

Are you sure it's that and not that Black and Latino deluxe dolls don't sell enough to recoup losses? What about market research showing Native/Indigenous girls wouldn't buy a doll of their own and rather buy the White, Black and Latino dolls? Companies wont release dolls if there is not enough of a demand for it to make profit. If they do, they are highly customizable like an American Girl or Build a Bear and have an upcharge on it. It wont be mass-marketed like a Barbie, Bratz or Monster High doll that you can get for say $15. The same with Disney Princess movies, girls don't see the race being a problem of a princess. I'd like to see the colors of the rainbow in movies and doll but if the market research shows it having no real gain or worse a loss, why do it?

Old 12-28-2014, 09:56 PM

15,332 posts, read 13,784,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Give me a break. You know darn well that these dolls are mass produced in some third world sweatshop. Manufacturing costs are the least of their concerns.
Manufacturing costs are the MAJOR concern, even in third world sweatshops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or