U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:59 PM

4,196 posts, read 3,187,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Yes, I thought that studies always show that the majority of the younger generation is Hispanic, black and Asian. If so, why are we being flooded with all of these white dolls?
I was referring to the majority ethnic group here in San Antonio.

To answer your question: It might have something to do with offering dolls with the numerous combinations of hair & eye colors found in the white population - but I bet it's simply because of sales figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 12:16 AM

36 posts, read 168,715 times
Quote:
You most likely didn't care to begin with. No real loss.
Most Americans have a sheeple mentality except when it directly affects them. Sad.
Oh yes, that's right. Just us Americans. No one else on the face of the planet has sheeple mentalities than just us in this one country. Considering you posted that reply on an American who actually was telling people like you to calm the f*ck down and stop hyperventilating over toys, please reroll a new life, thanks for playing....I'd say your opinion is pretty much moot at this point. Here's a thought. Why don't you start your own forum page and title it -

"children are dying in third world countries, young girls are being forced into human trafficking, and half the population of the world is running out of water, but let's focus our time and energy into protests and anger against doll companies that may be racists for giving more accessories to white dolls"

Old 12-29-2014, 05:02 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,711,961 times
Quote:
At first, I didn't believe the hype. Then, I went to a Target store today to look at one when I was looking for something else. The reality seemed to confirm the video that I saw on YouTube. The white doll "ginger" was the same price as the Latina doll "Alejandra", yet came with a box full of accessories. By contrast, the Alejandra doll came with only her dress and a smile. WTH? In the YouTube video, the lady said the same thing. White dolls come with extras, but minority dolls only come with one outfit.
No, they are the cheaper version on the American Girl Doll which only the 1% can afford these days! $115 (plus over $12 bucks for shipping) for the basic version of the white doll with no extra clothes:
American GirlĀ® Dolls: Light skin, red hair, green eyes
Some American Girl dolls also come with just one outfit as you see in that link, while others have matching outfits for the doll and the girl, and all sorts of extras that you have to buy.

I don't think it's racist, I think people are being ridiculous and these companies only play on that ridiculousness that wants to be perpetuated so badly.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:47 AM

10,282 posts, read 8,129,489 times
I thought 'gingers' are going extinct and that they're rare in the world. So I don't see why dolls based on them would have more 'accessories'? Maybe people feel sorry for gingers so they throw in a lot of goodies for their dolls?

Old 12-29-2014, 08:31 AM

4,074 posts, read 3,731,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
If people are all in an uproar about white dolls having too many clothes, why doesn't SOMEONE start their own toy company????
Good point. The OP and some others apparently want "Whitey" to fix everything they complain about, instead of fixing it themselves.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:53 AM

4,074 posts, read 3,731,746 times
Quote:
At first, I didn't believe the hype.
LOL is this the "controversy" what spawned the SNL sketch from 12/20/14?

Asian American Doll | Video | Saturday Night Live | NBC

#FirstWorldProblems

Old 12-29-2014, 10:50 AM

11,434 posts, read 16,685,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
I thought 'gingers' are going extinct and that they're rare in the world. So I don't see why dolls based on them would have more 'accessories'? Maybe people feel sorry for gingers so they throw in a lot of goodies for their dolls?
Not to worry, they didn't forget about you! They have 1 red headed Deluxe doll amidst all of the blondies.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:28 PM

10,085 posts, read 7,355,170 times
Quote:
Yes, it's a long way from the early 1970s when my sister was a girl.
Back then, she had a "Baby Tender Love". I remember that there was also a black version. But the ONLY differences were the hair color and skin color. The nose, hair were all white girl features. These companies sure can be insensitive.
Wow, you MUST be a charter member of the Church of the Perpetually Offended.

No one's denying that this country has a history of racism and that Black folks were considered second class citizens or less prior to the 60's, and I don't think anyone's denying that there are folks who still believe they are, and it's not right. I might mention that the same folks think that anyone who isn't exactly like them, or believe as they do, be that ethnically, or in matters of personal beliefs or faith, is less than they are too. It's human nature and we work on it.

But geez, give the companies credit for at least being aware, and trying to satisfy their customers of color, and appreciate it as a work in progress as we worked through the issues of racial identity. I never had a doll who looked exactly like me, either.

But for your consideration, we all have ethnic and racial identities, and cultures of which we should be proud, regardless of our backgrounds. When I fill out a government form, be it for any purpose, medical, employment, census information, doesn't matter, I see categories there for Hispanics, Blacks, Pacific Islanders, Native Americans ( by which they mean American Indians, although I'm a native American too since I was born here), so these folks can proudly proclaim their ethnicity/heritages or ancestral origin to anyone who reads the form. I have a rich Irish/Scottish heritage and traditions that date back to the times of the Roman Empire, but what do they designate people of my background? "Other". Meaning, of course, that the guv'mint doesn't care what my background may be, and it's not important as it is for those other groups. As it is, I usually decline to provide that information, and as far as the guv'mint is concerned, my race is "human", on those forms. As we all are.

Makes me wonder though, if I were inclined to spend my life offended, and anyone actually cared what I, as a non-member of any of those designated groups thought, I could raise a protest of "discrimination" at not being able to provide specific information about the heritage of which I too, am justifiably proud. Would you be offended at having your ethnicity/race (non)designated as "other' on every form you encounter?

Old 12-29-2014, 04:11 PM

19,107 posts, read 19,968,117 times
Quote:
It is an evaluation (s) of a product.
What have all of these other ppl been doing? They certainly weren't parroting my comments, thoughts or opinions.
This thread is about the lack of nonwhite dolls in this product line and charging more for nonwhite dolls/accessories, not about which white people that are unable to find jobs or cope with with white privilege.
Please stick to the topic of the thread.
No, you are complaining about a specific company and per the TOS "Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument."

Please stick to the TOS.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:28 PM

28,011 posts, read 16,311,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
No, you are complaining about a specific company and per the TOS "Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument."

Please stick to the TOS.
Or we can move this to the politics forum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or