U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2014, 08:51 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,434 posts, read 16,686,690 times
Reputation: 5224

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
No, you are complaining about a specific company and per the TOS "Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument."

Please stick to the TOS.
Here's a comment from the OTHER SIDE:


Thank you for your inquiry and for raising this issue. It is a matter of personal principle for our company and its founders that we are given the opportunity to communicate our true values with you.

Let us begin by telling you a little bit about the values and character that we’re proud to say define our people and our company at Our Generation. We are founded on the principles of diversity, mutual respect and championing positive examples for children. That includes an unquestioned commitment to respect for racial, religious, gender and orientation diversity. Such values reflect the personal experience and character of our company’s owners as well as the approach of our employees. We give expression to these values with our commitment to helping children around the world access quality educational opportunities. Although our habit has not been to draw overt attention to such activities, we are attaching a note from one of our key partners, Free The Children, for your reference and as a demonstration of the depth of our conviction.

Let us assure you that Abrianna is among a number of dolls offered without accessories that are all sold at the same lower price. These are our regular dolls.

There are also dolls sold with books and accessories, called deluxe dolls, offered at a much higher price than the dolls sold without books and accessories.

This is easy to verify by visiting Target.com. You will see that dolls such as Kendra, Sadie, Abrianna and Holly, to name a few, are all sold without books or accessories. Dolls offered without books and accessories are at a completely different price point than deluxe dolls that are sold with books and accessories.

There is a development that we have been working on for the last year. We will be introducing and launching three new African American dolls this Fall 2014.
· Anaya, regular doll (Now Available)
· Maeva, regular doll (Now Available)
· Maeva, deluxe jewelry doll with jewelry and hair accessories. (Available December)
All three of these dolls will be available to purchase on Target.com

Our Generation is also working hard to bring to market an African American doll with a book and accessories. This doll was already included in our development process since the summer of 2013 with an eye to market entry in June of 2015 (the timeline required for a 100 page book is a minimum of 18 months). We have taken on authors to write and designers to develop accessories for Abrianna and our soon to be released deluxe African American doll. With all this in mind, we want to reassure you that Our Generation offers an inclusive and diverse range of dolls that, in turn, reflect the diversity of life in North America. In addition, we will continue developing other products that reflect our commitment to diversity. Our plans for the future will only see the breadth of our offerings grow and expand.
We appreciate the opportunity to correct any false suggestions regarding Our Generation. We appreciate your past support for Our Generation and we hope to enjoy your continued support in the future. Thank you again for writing. Have a great day.

The Our Generation Team

I just received this prompt reply back from a company representative.


I'm not sure that I totally buy this

There are also dolls sold with books and accessories, called deluxe dolls, offered at a much higher price than the dolls sold without books and accessories.


The "much higher price difference" is a whopping $10!! A person would easily spend more than this amount on accessories purchased separately, which already come included in the Deluxe variety, which as mentioned is ONLY $10 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
No, you are complaining about a specific company and per the TOS "Such posts present defamation issues and they don't give the other side the opportunity to present their side of the argument."

Please stick to the TOS.


please tell me, what offends you so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2014, 08:57 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,434 posts, read 16,686,690 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Or we can move this to the politics forum...
What's so political about it? It's some of the posters on here that are getting upset and making it a political issue. It started out with me trying to find my 6-year old niece a suitable gift. When I saw the leftovers at my local Target store, I remembered about the controversy of this doll. I could buy her one of the 4 brunette white dolls (they're close enough) to us, but not the same as having a doll of your own heritage. I am seeking input from others on this product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 03:01 PM
 
Location: The Circle City. Sometimes NE of Bagdad.
19,111 posts, read 19,970,850 times
Reputation: 49620
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Here's a comment from the OTHER SIDE:


Thank you for your inquiry and for raising this issue. It is a matter of personal principle for our company and its founders that we are given the opportunity to communicate our true values with you.

Let us begin by telling you a little bit about the values and character that we’re proud to say define our people and our company at Our Generation. We are founded on the principles of diversity, mutual respect and championing positive examples for children. That includes an unquestioned commitment to respect for racial, religious, gender and orientation diversity. Such values reflect the personal experience and character of our company’s owners as well as the approach of our employees. We give expression to these values with our commitment to helping children around the world access quality educational opportunities. Although our habit has not been to draw overt attention to such activities, we are attaching a note from one of our key partners, Free The Children, for your reference and as a demonstration of the depth of our conviction.

Let us assure you that Abrianna is among a number of dolls offered without accessories that are all sold at the same lower price. These are our regular dolls.

There are also dolls sold with books and accessories, called deluxe dolls, offered at a much higher price than the dolls sold without books and accessories.

This is easy to verify by visiting Target.com. You will see that dolls such as Kendra, Sadie, Abrianna and Holly, to name a few, are all sold without books or accessories. Dolls offered without books and accessories are at a completely different price point than deluxe dolls that are sold with books and accessories.

There is a development that we have been working on for the last year. We will be introducing and launching three new African American dolls this Fall 2014.
· Anaya, regular doll (Now Available)
· Maeva, regular doll (Now Available)
· Maeva, deluxe jewelry doll with jewelry and hair accessories. (Available December)
All three of these dolls will be available to purchase on Target.com

Our Generation is also working hard to bring to market an African American doll with a book and accessories. This doll was already included in our development process since the summer of 2013 with an eye to market entry in June of 2015 (the timeline required for a 100 page book is a minimum of 18 months). We have taken on authors to write and designers to develop accessories for Abrianna and our soon to be released deluxe African American doll. With all this in mind, we want to reassure you that Our Generation offers an inclusive and diverse range of dolls that, in turn, reflect the diversity of life in North America. In addition, we will continue developing other products that reflect our commitment to diversity. Our plans for the future will only see the breadth of our offerings grow and expand.
We appreciate the opportunity to correct any false suggestions regarding Our Generation. We appreciate your past support for Our Generation and we hope to enjoy your continued support in the future. Thank you again for writing. Have a great day.

The Our Generation Team

I just received this prompt reply back from a company representative.


I'm not sure that I totally buy this

There are also dolls sold with books and accessories, called deluxe dolls, offered at a much higher price than the dolls sold without books and accessories.


The "much higher price difference" is a whopping $10!! A person would easily spend more than this amount on accessories purchased separately, which already come included in the Deluxe variety, which as mentioned is ONLY $10 more.



please tell me, what offends you so?
I'm not offended, but it seems like you are or you wouldn't have started this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2015, 08:04 PM
 
687 posts, read 710,950 times
Reputation: 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You most likely didn't care to begin with. No real loss.
Most Americans have a sheeple mentality except when it directly affects them. Sad.
Of course I no longer care (at one time in my life I did), you have 'cried wolf' so often that I can see your cries for what they are: nonsense not unlike the whining of a child.

Sheeple? Sorry lady, I am not the first, but merely one of the first to 'wake up' to a lot of the goings-on in this society. I can think for myself and one line of thought is that I no care about the problems that your people have created for themselves.

Get jobs.
Stop having kids at 15.
Stay off drugs.
Don't sell drugs.
Don't rob stores.
Invest in mutual funds instead of Air Jordans and Spinner Rims.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=743_1420012552
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2015, 08:07 PM
 
894 posts, read 856,997 times
Reputation: 2633
Here's my solution: If the dolls are hurting your feelings, DON'T BUY THE DAMN THINGS!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2015, 10:15 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,434 posts, read 16,686,690 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Of course I no longer care (at one time in my life I did), you have 'cried wolf' so often that I can see your cries for what they are: nonsense not unlike the whining of a child.

Sheeple? Sorry lady, I am not the first, but merely one of the first to 'wake up' to a lot of the goings-on in this society. I can think for myself and one line of thought is that I no care about the problems that your people have created for themselves.

Get jobs.
Stop having kids at 15.
Stay off drugs.
Don't sell drugs.
Don't rob stores.
Invest in mutual funds instead of Air Jordans and Spinner Rims.

LiveLeak.com - Massive black brawl at McDonalds
Stereotype much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,502 posts, read 6,253,634 times
Reputation: 3693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The original Christy dolls were Barbies made to look black in skin color only too. It wasn't until the 1980s that they got their own features. It was because it was cheaper to only make one mold for the dolls and the kids didn't care they just saw Barbie and Christy and didn't care they weren't too stylized. It wasn't until the 80's or 90's it was cost effective to do separate molds as well as to mitigate backlash for dipping Barbie into making her black and giving her black hair instead of blonde to make Christy.
http://dollreference.com/images/1126christie.jpg

I've seen Black women that look like Christie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2015, 12:04 AM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,434 posts, read 16,686,690 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
http://dollreference.com/images/1126christie.jpg

I've seen Black women that look like Christie.
She's really pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2015, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,473 posts, read 14,162,929 times
Reputation: 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Complaints like this one actually causes the very same racism you seem to abhor. Companies may just decide to make all of their dolls white simply to avoid the racism bloodhounds who seem to smell it under every rock and behind every tree.

Yeah, much easier to just make all of the dolls white. That way no one can point to Alejandra and cry "racism!!" because Ginger had a few more accessories. If Alejandra became Alexandra, then who really cares which doll comes with more frills, right?

I'm of mixed heritage - Asian-Indian/Filippino with some Dutch thrown in somewhere way way back. Colonialism results in mixes like mine.

And I'll be damned if there is one single Asian doll of any kind - deluxe, regular, or not. I guess I should climb up onto my soapbox and complain that there are Gingers and Alejandras and Latishas ... but I can't seem to find a Saanvi, Sakura, or Li Xiu Ying anywhere at all! No one is dressed in a sari or kimono, either, it would seem.

Oh well ...
That's why Bratz dolls were so great...but Mattell went after them with both barrels blazing. I still have some of the old bratz dolls and there was an entire collection in saris. Just saying. Also ppl I've never heard of these dolls before...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2015, 08:08 PM
 
Location: California
4,604 posts, read 5,603,871 times
Reputation: 9968
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I think we are looking to closely into this. Yes, I am comfortable in my white skin. As a white woman and the mother of a white daughter, we don't have many clothes. Perhaps you are perpetuating a stereotype about white people having lots of clothes?
I'm comfortable also!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:21 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top