U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 05:17 PM

11,434 posts, read 16,685,068 times

Advertisements

At first, I didn't believe the hype. Then, I went to a Target store today to look at one when I was looking for something else. The reality seemed to confirm the video that I saw on YouTube. The white doll "ginger" was the same price as the Latina doll "Alejandra", yet came with a box full of accessories. By contrast, the Alejandra doll came with only her dress and a smile. WTH? In the YouTube video, the lady said the same thing. White dolls come with extras, but minority dolls only come with one outfit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 05:21 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,602,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
At first, I didn't believe the hype. Then, I went to a Target store today to look at one when I was looking for something else. The reality seemed to confirm the video that I saw on YouTube. The white doll "ginger" was the same price as the Latina doll "Alejandra", yet came with a box full of accessories. By contrast, the Alejandra doll came with only her dress and a smile. WTH? In the YouTube video, the lady said the same thing. White dolls come with extras, but minority dolls only come with one outfit.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
That's not really a response. But you probably live in the comfort of your whiteness, so no skin off your back. Right?

Old 12-26-2014, 08:08 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,417,475 times
"Are "Our Generation" dolls for girls racist? "

You really think that dolls are capable of being racist?
Wow.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:34 PM

1,648 posts, read 1,537,466 times
There will always be those who seek offense where none is offered or intended.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
There will always be those who seek offense where none is offered or intended.
Do any of you people know how to do research before you give a response?

Regular Dolls 18inch dolls | Our Generation Dolls

Deluxe Dolls 18inch dolls | Our Generation Dolls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSK5L8MD88o

The "Regular Dolls" are no frills who come ONLY with the outfit that they are wearing. These come in all ethnicities.

The "Deluxe Dolls" are the ones that come with multiple accessories and a story book to create their dream/fantasy life. These are EXCLUSIVELY WHITE. Aint' no Shaniqua or Juanita in that collection unless they're holding a broom or mop.

Why hasn't this company attempted to include nonwhite dolls in the Deluxe collection?

Old 12-27-2014, 07:06 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Has nothing to do with research, the average person has better things to spend their time on than racism claims directed at pieces of plastic. You apparently have the time.

If I were to think about it (which pains me) I would conclude that the "minority" dolls don't come with accessories because the dolls themselves have a higher worth, so to include accessories would make their price higher than the Caucasian doll.

I'd also agree with Chaofan, there are people who's sole purpose is to find offense wherever they can.

Last edited by NHDave; 12-27-2014 at 07:19 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 07:08 AM

10,664 posts, read 8,074,580 times
Quote:
Why hasn't this company attempted to include nonwhite dolls in the Deluxe collection?
I guess only them can answer that. Maybe you should contact them and see what they have to say (although it's likely they won't answer).
I must say I never noticed the deluxe dolls.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:17 AM

5,843 posts, read 3,438,926 times
Quote:
Complaints like this one actually causes the very same racism you seem to abhor. Companies may just decide to make all of their dolls white simply to avoid the racism bloodhounds who seem to smell it under every rock and behind every tree.

Yeah, much easier to just make all of the dolls white. That way no one can point to Alejandra and cry "racism!!" because Ginger had a few more accessories. If Alejandra became Alexandra, then who really cares which doll comes with more frills, right?

I'm of mixed heritage - Asian-Indian/Filippino with some Dutch thrown in somewhere way way back. Colonialism results in mixes like mine.

And I'll be damned if there is one single Asian doll of any kind - deluxe, regular, or not. I guess I should climb up onto my soapbox and complain that there are Gingers and Alejandras and Latishas ... but I can't seem to find a Saanvi, Sakura, or Li Xiu Ying anywhere at all! No one is dressed in a sari or kimono, either, it would seem.

Oh well ...

Old 12-27-2014, 08:21 AM

1,648 posts, read 1,537,466 times
Quote:
Do any of you people know how to do research before you give a response?

Regular Dolls 18inch dolls | Our Generation Dolls

Deluxe Dolls 18inch dolls | Our Generation Dolls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSK5L8MD88o

The "Regular Dolls" are no frills who come ONLY with the outfit that they are wearing. These come in all ethnicities.

The "Deluxe Dolls" are the ones that come with multiple accessories and a story book to create their dream/fantasy life. These are EXCLUSIVELY WHITE. Aint' no Shaniqua or Juanita in that collection unless they're holding a broom or mop.

Why automatically go to an assumption of conscious and deliberate discrimination? Why should the default always be "They hate non-white people!" rather than just a neutral curiosity about an anomaly? There is plenty of time for outrage if actual evidence of deliberate discrimination is discovered, but ignoring any other possibilities and going directly there doesn't benefit anyone.

Has anyone asked the manufacturer for an explanation or done any real research? Parsing advertising or store displays for deeper meaning is about as informative as alien conspiracy theories or trying to read the future in chicken entrails. If real evidence of deliberate discrimination is found, it will be much more powerful tool to effect change than shrill knee-jerk shrieks of outrage at some unsupported theory. If there is no deliberate slight intended, then everyone can stand down from red alert and get on with their lives.

Instead of becoming outraged, why not view it as an opportunity to fill a niche? Start your own company to manufacture accessories for the non-white dolls, or start a company to manufacture exclusively non-white dolls with all the accessories anyone could want. If you see this as a real need, find a way to fill it and benefit yourself at the same time, not to mention all the jobs it would create.

Last edited by Chaofan; 12-27-2014 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or