U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:41 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,426,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
See that was the issue, the gap is a store I don't shop in because of my size so I was only in there because I won the gift card at a raffle. So that leftover two dollars or less would not have been a big deal since I was able to get to close as $25 as possible
Then it is nice that you got the cash back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:24 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,869,177 times
Quote:
Well nothing in the gap cost $2 so it was qualified for the trash. Lol
Why not send it to one of the groups that collect cards with little on them.. They combine them and then use the amount for things that homeless or destitute people need....

Old 01-07-2015, 03:15 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,180,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Why not send it to one of the groups that collect cards with little on them.. They combine them and then use the amount for things that homeless or destitute people need....
I don't think any of the homeless need $2.00 off a sweater from the GAP

Old 01-07-2015, 04:10 PM

9,339 posts, read 17,146,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
I would give it to the person behind me in line, or someone who is shopping in the store. Someone did this for me in Home Depot once! Really brought a smile to my face.
I have done this for people in PetSmart.... I had several x% off coupons that were about to expire, but that I couldn't combine on to my own purchase.... I kept the largest for me and handed out the others to the people in line around me..... one couple was buying a large and expensive dog kennel and saved a SUBSTANTIAL amount of money with my coupon!!

One of the grocery stores I frequent is always doing one promotion or another where you collect stickers to win prizes or earn pots and pans or dishwear.... I DID play the one with the various prizes, but the others, I just get my stickers and hand them to the first person I see who IS collecting them......

Old 01-07-2015, 04:14 PM

19,111 posts, read 19,970,850 times
Seems like if I get a gift card and use it I have to dig into my pocket for more money because I end up buying more than the card is worth.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:54 PM

15,822 posts, read 9,065,432 times
Quote:
Well nothing in the gap cost $2 so it was qualified for the trash. Lol
Seriously? How many cards and dollars have you thrown in the trash? You can always apply the remainder of a card to a purchase....it doesn't have to come out even! You kinda act insulted that they handed you back some filthy lucre (cash) instead of pristine electronic dollars!

Old 01-07-2015, 06:08 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,614 posts, read 51,099,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Seriously? How many cards and dollars have you thrown in the trash? You can always apply the remainder of a card to a purchase....it doesn't have to come out even! You kinda act insulted that they handed you back some filthy lucre (cash) instead of pristine electronic dollars!
Well my first reaction was.........."what am I going to do with $1.04?" But then I used it for breakfast on Monday morning.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:54 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,351,578 times
What a very odd and idiotic attitude toward money. Why on earth would anyone throw money in the garbage?

Even if you're not a spendthrift, what's wrong with getting $2.00 off your next purchase, or giving it to someone? You seriously had to ask yourself what you were going to do with a buck and change? You do realize money adds up, right? It doesn't come in self-contained large chunks. lol

Old 01-07-2015, 08:15 PM

7,245 posts, read 4,498,124 times
I'm in California where stores are required to refund gift card amounts under $10 in cash. Some places, such as Rite-Aid, have it as a choice on the card reader: "Would you like your balance refunded in cash?" What you do with the couple bucks you get back is, you put them in your wallet and use them to buy something else. Sheesh.

Other places, I have to ask to have the balance refunded, but I've only had one place refuse me. I didn't make an issue of it--just set the card aside to use next time. It's utterly weird to me that someone would throw out a card with a small amount on it. Money is money.

Quote:
I don't think any of the homeless need $2.00 off a sweater from the GAP
And this is also mind-boggling. A sweater is a sweater, no matter where it comes from. If someone can amass several Gap cards with small amounts on them, maybe they can get a free sweater, or a sizeable chunk off one that is on sale. Do you think a homeless person would turn it down?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:26 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,614 posts, read 51,099,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
What a very odd and idiotic attitude toward money. Why on earth would anyone throw money in the garbage?

Even if you're not a spendthrift, what's wrong with getting $2.00 off your next purchase, or giving it to someone? You seriously had to ask yourself what you were going to do with a buck and change? You do realize money adds up, right? It doesn't come in self-contained large chunks. lol
Because in the past I never experienced receiving cash back off a gift card. I thought that once I spen close to the limit it was no point in putting it back in my wallet because to me $23.96 of $25.00 meant..."nothing left"

So it was never a huge deal because I thought that was the norm when it came to gift cards. That's why when the guy was giving me back change I was in shock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or