Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:45 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

I was shocked to get change back from a $25 Gap Gift Card because normally when you get close to the limit of the credit amount, you just throw it in the trash. So when I saw the guy giving me back a dollar and change I was kind of surprised because I have never experienced a cashier doing something like that. I am so used to the cashier giving the gift card back with a $2.00 or less and then I toss it in the trash lol

Anyone got cash back from a Gift card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 02:32 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
No, but I don't toss it in the trash no matter what the amount is. Hey, that $2 is mine and I'm not giving it to the store!

Old 01-07-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
No, but I don't toss it in the trash no matter what the amount is. Hey, that $2 is mine and I'm not giving it to the store!

Well nothing in the gap cost $2 so it was qualified for the trash. Lol

Old 01-07-2015, 06:03 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
I recently found out that retailers will do this. I had a $25 Puma card and had used up all but like $1.50 for some gifts for Christmas and she asked if I just wanted the balance in change, I said heck yes. Rather have the money in my pocket then carrying around another card with such a little balance.

Still though... if you have a card with a small balance like that and you shop at that particular place frequently don't toss it... you're still throwing money away no matter how small the balance is. Simply apply it to your next purchase.... Every penny counts!

Old 01-07-2015, 08:31 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I was shocked to get change back from a $25 Gap Gift Card because normally when you get close to the limit of the credit amount, you just throw it in the trash.
No way I would throw money away like that!

I have yet to get cash back when paying with a gift card.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
I recently found out that retailers will do this. I had a $25 Puma card and had used up all but like $1.50 for some gifts for Christmas and she asked if I just wanted the balance in change, I said heck yes. Rather have the money in my pocket then carrying around another card with such a little balance.

Still though... if you have a card with a small balance like that and you shop at that particular place frequently don't toss it... you're still throwing money away no matter how small the balance is. Simply apply it to your next purchase.... Every penny counts!
See that was the issue, the gap is a store I don't shop in because of my size so I was only in there because I won the gift card at a raffle. So that leftover two dollars or less would not have been a big deal since I was able to get to close as $25 as possible

Old 01-07-2015, 10:00 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
See that was the issue, the gap is a store I don't shop in because of my size so I was only in there because I won the gift card at a raffle. So that leftover two dollars or less would not have been a big deal since I was able to get to close as $25 as possible
I'm sure you can give someone cards with small balances that you consider trash but they would be appreciative.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:39 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,206 times
Some states now have laws that require stores to exchange your card for cash if you ask and it's below a certain value.

For example, in California, if your card drops to less than $10, you can exchange it for cash (unfortunately, many businesses don't seem to understand the law)

Call Kurtis Undercover: California’s Gift Card Refund Law « CBS Sacramento

Other states have similar laws, but usually your card has to have a much lower amount left, usually $1 or $2.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:41 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
I would never purposely toss it in the trash I'd keep it and say I'll use it later but typically it will get lost or I wont want to buy something for $10 just for the sake of buying it when I have a $2 gift card. I think more stores are doing stuff like this. I believe in most states if not countrywise they have made it illegal to charge inactivity fees so where as in the past they could take $2 a month til the card was cleared and close it now now they essentially have all these gift cards on their books forever. I think maybe its advantageous to them if the card has under $5 left we'll give you cash and closeout the card.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:41 AM

986 posts, read 1,864,448 times
Quote:
I would give it to the person behind me in line, or someone who is shopping in the store. Someone did this for me in Home Depot once! Really brought a smile to my face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products