U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-12-2015, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Middlesex
1,297 posts, read 2,206,751 times
Reputation: 1367

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
2) and 3) can be avoided with self check out lanes....
those are no prize either. i don't use those anymore mainly because sure as heck some knucklehead will start checking his stuff out before i finish packing mine. again, no consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2015, 01:58 PM
 
3,969 posts, read 2,355,715 times
Reputation: 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
those are no prize either. i don't use those anymore mainly because sure as heck some knucklehead will start checking his stuff out before i finish packing mine. again, no consideration.
Well if you weren't talking on your phone while pouring over your receipt and filling out your check register instead of bagging your 53 items in the express line, I would have waited!

j/k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 02:04 PM
 
8,778 posts, read 16,979,132 times
Reputation: 5248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
those are no prize either. i don't use those anymore mainly because sure as heck some knucklehead will start checking his stuff out before i finish packing mine. again, no consideration.

Hit the finish and pay button, then finish your bagging, then pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 02:27 PM
 
Location: La Mesa Aka The Table
7,646 posts, read 8,254,990 times
Reputation: 8704
Agree with the O.P.
These are the same people that hold up traffic along the expressway just to View and accident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Middlesex
1,297 posts, read 2,206,751 times
Reputation: 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Hit the finish and pay button, then finish your bagging, then pay.
you know i never thought of that. i can press the finish button then not slide my credit card until after bagging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,291 posts, read 5,027,100 times
Reputation: 5249
Ought to live in Florida, a real nightmare. Momma & Daddy shop together, he blocks the aisles while she contemplates her purchases, they eventually get to the checkout, he unloads the cart, she stands there and watches. Finally get to the part where payment is required, how much she asks, and, then turns to Daddy and shouts, $48.61, and he asks should we pay by check or cash?

After much discussion they decide on cash, he must pay, she is not allowed to do so, he opens his wallet, looks for the money, like he has never seen money before. Then, Momma do you have 3 dollars...oh let me see, yes, I do, ok, we are close....maybe, he digs through his change...no, he does not have exact change, he needs a dime and a penny...Momma, do you have a dime and a penny? Oh, Daddy, let me see...she digs and digs in her purse, no, only a penny, no dime, soooo, he digs in his other pocket...no dime...Momma, do you have another dollar?

By this time I am done...I hand them a dime..if I didn't, they would have written a check, if, she can find the checkbook in her purse, and, he would have to write the check out. Only Daddy can do this. And...then, they forget that they had coupons, much conversation later, they head to customer service, babbling all the way.

And don't mention self checkouts, or ATM drive thrus, these are both a mystery to them, could easily spend a 1/2 hour behind them and accomplish nothing.

I am a senior too, and, many of these seniors are younger than me, I ask myself...where the hail have they been all their lives...drives me bat sheet crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 03:05 PM
 
6,763 posts, read 5,400,479 times
Reputation: 14077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Ought to live in Florida, a real nightmare. Momma & Daddy shop together, he blocks the aisles while she contemplates her purchases, they eventually get to the checkout, he unloads the cart, she stands there and watches. Finally get to the part where payment is required, how much she asks, and, then turns to Daddy and shouts, $48.61, and he asks should we pay by check or cash?

After much discussion they decide on cash, he must pay, she is not allowed to do so, he opens his wallet, looks for the money, like he has never seen money before. Then, Momma do you have 3 dollars...oh let me see, yes, I do, ok, we are close....maybe, he digs through his change...no, he does not have exact change, he needs a dime and a penny...Momma, do you have a dime and a penny? Oh, Daddy, let me see...she digs and digs in her purse, no, only a penny, no dime, soooo, he digs in his other pocket...no dime...Momma, do you have another dollar?

By this time I am done...I hand them a dime..if I didn't, they would have written a check, if, she can find the checkbook in her purse, and, he would have to write the check out. Only Daddy can do this. And...then, they forget that they had coupons, much conversation later, they head to customer service, babbling all the way.

And don't mention self checkouts, or ATM drive thrus, these are both a mystery to them, could easily spend a 1/2 hour behind them and accomplish nothing.

I am a senior too, and, many of these seniors are younger than me, I ask myself...where the hail have they been all their lives...drives me bat sheet crazy.
This two person shopping thing slows down everyone - whether it is a man and his wife, two women or a gaggle of men.

I like to go by myself. I used to shop at the Lackland AFB commissary and I wondered how some of the older couples made it to the place. They had to travel through busy streets and expressways - maybe. They always had huge cars. I felt bad for them, but I guess that is what they wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 03:08 PM
 
6,763 posts, read 5,400,479 times
Reputation: 14077
I did learn something from this thread - swipe the card right away - man I can kick myself for not doing this before.

I hope I didn't hold up anyone before - lol. I always have my card ready and am done before all the groceries are sacked, but this way is better.

I used to have a bad habit of not putting my card away in its proper place. Lost two cards this way. Probably fell out of my pocket. No damage done. So from that experience I would make sure to put it away in the right compartment before I left the lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 03:53 PM
 
2,202 posts, read 1,635,850 times
Reputation: 2671
I like to help bag. I am really good at it too.. Cashier s appreciate it..

Mike G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,291 posts, read 5,027,100 times
Reputation: 5249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
I like to help bag. I am really good at it too.. Cashier s appreciate it..

Mike G
Me too, I swipe my debit card and start bagging...must be in my blood, my mother owned a grocery store when I was a kid, so bagging is second nature to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:52 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top