U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 04:08 PM

16,038 posts, read 20,186,586 times

Advertisements

IMO You simply do not like the public. Do you feel the same way about restaurants and Dr. visits? I think you should find more isolated stores....and stay away from large crowded stores, no Sams Club, or Walmart type stores...You'll feel less stressed and agitated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 04:35 PM

8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Speaking of Walmart, I cannot stand how they now put razor blades in a security case that the cashier isn't allowed to open. They have to call a manager to open it. So you spend 20 mins in line and finally get rung up and everything loaded in the cart...then you can't leave until a manager comes over to open the case with the razors in it. In my case, it took another 5 mins. I have never bought razor blades in Walmart again.
That's odd. My store hasn't put security devices on our razor blades. If they get any more expensive they might though, I guess.

At my store every register has a security device remover. We don't have to call a manager to take the things off or anything else. We have all sorts of security devices that would keep a manager running. That's dumb.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Or no matter what, they are required to ring EACH piece of something.... I ran into this a Christmas at the Dollar Store. People were buying gift bags by the boat load. And the cashier was NOT PERMITTED to count the bags and enter into the register 35 x1.00, which wold have saved loads of time.... no -- they had to run each and every bag over the scanner and wait for the chime, so we were all held hostage by the slide *boop*, pick up, slide *boop* 35 times. Over and over and over.....with multitudes of people.

That's when I discovered that people have been trained out of annoyance of inefficient staffing, and ridiculous policies -- because almost every single person had their phones out and were texting and reading or sharing videos....or whatever one does with a smart phone.

I don't have a smart phone, so I got to be one of the annoyed. And I made a promise that I would never ever do this again.

It's rather the chicken/egg thing -- is the service bad at places because they know we are enamored of our technology and now they can get away with it because won't complain, or have we become enamored of our tech, because it's the only way we have to cope without going postal?
We are allowed to do a quantity scan if they have six items, or more, of the EXACT same item. Or, as in the case of dog/cat food, the EXACT same flavor. If they have 24 of mostly varied flavors we have to scan them individually. It has to do with inventory. As for the bags...they aggravate me sometimes because they are not only inventoried by brand and size but color as well. If you buy ALL one brand/size/color I can do a quantity scan. I HAVE "cheated" and rung up say 10 bags in quantity, all different colors, etc. because I was in a hurry or something but it does mess up the inventory. As for the dog/cat food I can scan 24 cans a lot faster than I can count out and sort for 'flavors' so I don't bother. Sometimes the customers who are 'savvy' will tell me that there's X number of this and X number of that and I LIKE that.

We have TVs at our registers. Granted it mostly spewing commercials but it also covers things that are going on in the area, which is handy for tourists. BUT people are so used to them they don't even notice them anymore so THAT doesn't hold their attention so they don't get annoyed. For some reason it seems like lately I've had more customers apologize to the ones behind for taking so long and almost without exception they've all said, "Oh that's okay. I'm in no rush". Very odd but very good to hear.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
It isn't inefficient staffing. Each bag has its own inventory code and technology has made it possible to track how many of each bag has been sold to facilitate re-ordering of that particular bag. Unless the 35 bags were identical, the cashier must scan each one separately. Think back to the days when the cashier would have had to manually enter the price and be grateful that it only takes a scan nowadays.
You know, I really DO think about that at times. I'm so glad I didn't become a cashier until we had the technology we have now. And it's not so hot sometimes either! Most of the time it works like a charm though so I try not to get upset over it.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It is inefficient staffing when you have 8 registers, and only three are open, one of which is run by the floor runner and she's off and on the register answering other questions and there are at least 65 people in line. I counted.

I worked as a cashier and we had to enter departments, skus and prices... and it didn't take that long. BUT -- our skus were 6 numbers.

And on December 24, yes -- I was out December 24 -- Christmas bags are not going to be reordered and should be ring up using common sense. I knew I was going to wait, and I was prepared to wait, but I thought this was just way over the top wrong.

We've also bought pet food at a place where they had to ring up each can. In sealed flats. Which we buy so I don't have cans rolling around loose. So they opened all the flats. I buy 5-6 flats at a time. I told them right there that was STUPID. And we never went back. And lo and behold a year later, they closed. My thinking is that one inefficient policy led to another and to another and people voted with the dollars.
I have come to the conclusion that unless we have ONE register open for every ONE customer in our store we are going to be forever "under staffed". lol I know exactly how the registers are opened in our store beginning at 6 AM. I know how many will be open at what time on a 'good day'. That is if nobody calls off, etc.. There are times I can count 14 registers open, plus 5 20 items or less registers and 8 self check scanners. And I'll be told we "need to hire more cashiers". Sigh.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:21 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I don't bring a calculator to the store with me and add up every item as it goes in the basket.
I also admit that I am not so brilliant as to have a brain that can perform as an 'in-house' calculator for a shopping basket full of items.
Congratulations to you if you can keep a running total of 30 or 50 numbers and also interrupt the calculations to read labels, compare prices, check on salt content, etc.
I do bring a calculator when I shop and I sometimes use it. I also have to read labels and price check.

However if you shop with a list, you can write down the price of the items you are buying and add them up as you shop. You can even round up the numbers to make it easier. Unless you are shopping with a debit/credit card (and even then you should be aware of the cost of the groceries), you have a finite amount of money with you. If you know that you don't have enough money with you, you can put the item back before you get to the check out. I don't like it but I'll try to wait patiently behind you online while you decide if you need to put back the steak or chicken because you don't have enough money for both items.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:45 PM

12,184 posts, read 20,777,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I did learn something from this thread - swipe the card right away - man I can kick myself for not doing this before.

I hope I didn't hold up anyone before - lol. I always have my card ready and am done before all the groceries are sacked, but this way is better.

I used to have a bad habit of not putting my card away in its proper place. Lost two cards this way. Probably fell out of my pocket. No damage done. So from that experience I would make sure to put it away in the right compartment before I left the lane.
I carry a "wallet on a strap" type purse. It's so organized I have no choice but to be organized. Slide card out of spot, slide card in machine, slide card back into spot. I hate those purses so big they can hold everything and the kitchen sink.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:11 PM

3,170 posts, read 2,191,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I used to live in NC during much of the Jesse Helms era, and I disliked how gambling was illegal based on moral grounds, I felt like a person should be able to gamble if they wanted to.
I'm in NC and you'll be happy to know that we've modernized now. Gambling is now considered moral as long as someone is gambling for the state sanctioned "North Carolina Education Lottery".

But to get back to the original question, I agree about the lottery ticket purchases that hold up lines. I did see a vending machine in a chain grocery store here recently for lottery tickets, which was a first. As far as crowd control in lines, I think that would be a good idea, at least from a crowd/line management perspective.

One annoyance about lines that I haven't seen mentioned is people who use their debit cards to make small purchases (i.e. a bottle of pop for $1.50). The transaction, swiping, entering of PIN #s, etc. seems to take about double the time that a transaction would take if someone had two crisp dollar bills in their hand, ready to pay the cashier. And I know people will say it's not good to carry cash around, and if it were for a large purchase (i.e. hundreds of dollars, for example), I would agree and could see a place for debit cards. But someone routinely and purposefully not having enough cash on hand to purchase a soda seems a little absurd to me (with the occasional backup of a debit card being understandable). It at least would be better to have a "cash only" line in a store with multiple cash registers and that way the people who fiddle with their debit cards and checkbooks would only have each other to blame for holding each other up.

For the folks telling the OP that this is a trifling matter and life's too short to worry about things like this, maybe it is, but one of the fun aspects of a forum like this is it's a place where we can vent a little and share our pet peeves about different things like this.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:22 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,364,270 times
Geez, smoke a joint or have a drink and relax, dude.

I think customers who are in such a hurry and stress out over these things need to stay home and do their shopping online.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:22 PM

9,339 posts, read 17,145,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
First thing I do at the grocery store - as soon as they start scanning - is swipe my credit card.

Then my stuff is already done, my hands are free, and I can just take the receipt and go as soon as they are done.

I don't get why people wait till the end, THEN get out their wallet, swipe, etc.

Just do it up front.

Then you can relax and watch the ringing up so they don't accidentally overcharge you, etc.
^^^ exactly what I do...... or if i am paying cash, I have out approximately what I think I will need PLUS a handful of change so I can use the correct change.... or close to it, so I am getting only a nickel or dime back instead of four pennies and various other coins...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or