U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 85,085,792 times
Reputation: 18083

Advertisements

Things like coupons can bad. They should have certain lines for beyond a few in number. Other than that I think you need to learn more patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2015, 02:35 AM
 
7,453 posts, read 4,135,308 times
Reputation: 15917
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
What you apparently failed to realize was that I said the customer walks right past a cashier who is doing some little time filling nothing AT the register, on the assumption that they are sooooo busy.
Apparently they think I'm not busy because I'm "only" on a computer, apparently just standing there, and it doesn't occur to their little pea brains that I might actually be doing something at a computer terminal, even when it's obvious I AM typing at the keyboard? I'm fairly certain these are the same pea brains who walk up to the jewelry counter and want to drop a prescription off.
At that takes us back to the OP complaint, pay attention to what you're doing!
Right. The "pea brain" customers are supposed to stop to figure out what the melon headed employees are doing, like who is actually accomplishing something and who is just trying to avoid doing something like taking care of customers. I have absolutely no idea what you mean by an auxiliary register or where your computer terminal is located but it sounds like you may be working at a customer service desk. What kind of silly pea brains would expect to go to customer service and actually get...service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,926,914 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think of it as the herding factor, when people see other people they head for them. I'm sure you've noticed that one or two people start heading for the checkout, the next thing you see is that practically everyone else in the store decides it's time to head for the checkout too. One minute nothing, five minutes later lines everywhere, lol! I think it's the same reason you can be the only person on the aisle, but the moment you stop to grab an item someone comes from around the corner and stops their cart right beside yours and blocking the entire aisle off. I have never understood why people do that!
As a supervisor, the one I like is when I'm at an auxiliary register/computer ordering something or fixing something for a customer and someone walks past the actual cashier and say's "oh they look busy (dusting, straightening the gum, some silly thing) but you're just standing there so you can ring me up" I'm standing there mashing a bunch of buttons and typing, does it not occur to you that I am busy doing something too?
You are so right! I think one reason people get into a line behind others is because they KNOW that register is open. Doesn't matter if you're standing there, your light is on and you're just waiting for a customer, they'll ask "Are you open?". I tell them "No, I'm just hanging out watching the people of Walmart". lol I still haven't figured out why everybody seems to be done shopping at the same time and line up! It can sometimes be 'feast or famine'...mostly depending on the time of day.

Yesterday, as I was heading to the time clock, I was looking down each aisle as I passed by and I was surprised at how many people actually WEREN'T blocking the aisles. Most all of them had their shopping carts off to the side and I only saw one woman stopped right in the middle. She was the only one in the aisle though so no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,926,914 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Oh, I've long come to avoid the self-checkout scanners unless I'm the only person in line. I've found that they can take much longer than a regular checkout counter as people using them either have no clue what they're doing or are way over the item limit and, thus, take forever to check out.
Yes, it can take longer to do self checkout but that's because people don't pay attention to what they are doing, don't read directions very well and are impatient as well. When I'm on a register I try to "steal" people from self checkout. I tell them I'll get them out faster and talk to them nicer than that "woman" who is a constant nag! lol We don't have an item limit at self checkout and people will come through with two weeks worth of 'stuff'. The more items they have the more likely they are to have 'problems'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,926,914 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Since many of you don't like employee check out and some of the same ones don't like self-checkout what's your solution?



I think I'll pay my next grocery bill in dimes. How many would $150 or so take?
I haven't had anyone pay with dimes but I have had them pay with rolls of quarters. And once a literal PILE of quarters. Yesterday I had a customer who paid with 200 $1 bills! They had them all counted and nicely banded in $50 bundles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,926,914 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Things like coupons can bad. They should have certain lines for beyond a few in number. Other than that I think you need to learn more patients.
Coupons aren't "bad". It takes no longer scan a coupon than it did to scan the item...like one second. Yesterday I had a couple who ad matched 1/3 of their order AND had a stack of coupons. By the time we were done they had saved $60 and a supervisor had to come finish the transaction. It didn't hold the line up THAT much and the people in line were much impressed with that savings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,926,914 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Right. The "pea brain" customers are supposed to stop to figure out what the melon headed employees are doing, like who is actually accomplishing something and who is just trying to avoid doing something like taking care of customers. I have absolutely no idea what you mean by an auxiliary register or where your computer terminal is located but it sounds like you may be working at a customer service desk. What kind of silly pea brains would expect to go to customer service and actually get...service?
We do a lot of "busy work" which means zoning our area, straightening and making sure things are 'neat'. We aren't allowed to just stand there, doing nothing, so we have to look busy. I don't know any co workers who try to avoid taking care of customers. Most of us would rather be busy and make the time go by faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Scott County, Tennessee/by way of Detroit
3,330 posts, read 2,187,119 times
Reputation: 10278
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I often wonder why it is that some people have yet to realize that there's an invention called the debit card. They ought to have a special line in the grocery stores for anyone stupid enough to still be using checks. I can still remember one time when somebody in front of me in line was trying to pay for a bunch of groceries with a check written on a bank in Mongolia.
That's me...stupid enough to still use checks..BUT I write the check out while WAITING IN LINE..gives me something to do other than read the Star...then as the bagger is never there or helping at another register..I also bag my own stuff...so it takes me 5.2 seconds maybe shorter to write out the amount..don't have to put it in the check register..they are duplicates..

I am 54...I have waited in lines... patiently, many places, so someone buying 2 items with their lightning speed debit card can wait behind me...That's life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,926,914 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
That's me...stupid enough to still use checks..BUT I write the check out while WAITING IN LINE..gives me something to do other than read the Star...then as the bagger is never there or helping at another register..I also bag my own stuff...so it takes me 5.2 seconds maybe shorter to write out the amount..don't have to put it in the check register..they are duplicates..

I am 54...I have waited in lines... patiently, many places, so someone buying 2 items with their lightning speed debit card can wait behind me...That's life...
Our customers don't even have to fill out their checks. Our check writer does that and they just sign and approve on the card reader. Older people insist on filling them out though just because that's what they've "always done". They insist on filling out the check register because they will "forget" if they don't. That's what they tell me anyway. I just stick my receipts in the check book and fill it out when I get home. I haven't 'forgot' yet! lol

Sometimes I wish I had baggers. I can scan fast and when people want to bag their own it goes really fast! I love it. It used to hurt my feelings when people wanted to bag their own because I thought they didn't trust me to do it 'right'. Well, those fears are often well founded but as people got to know me they were okay with 'my way'. These days I appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 02:58 PM
 
3,279 posts, read 4,201,402 times
Reputation: 6149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I hate it when people hold up the line because they're busy playing with their phone. Like O'Reilly says, leave the machines at home.

I disagree, on several fronts. First, having worked in the stores myself, I can tell you that in our case anyway the ones on their phones tend to be the fastest ones. They have everything ready, when the total is generated they notice it right away themselves and respond very quickly, they take the change/bags and step on out. They are very much the very definition of "in and out."

The only time it bugs me is when the customers are attractive and I wish I could've talked to them.

Also, I as a customer use my phone, for something few people do--logging the transactions, much the same as older people write down every check they write in a check register. Even so, much like the person who has already filled out their check with everything but the amount ahead of time, I do the same here, I have everything ready but the amount and, while the card is processing, I type in the amount and press "save" before the machine is even done, so the hold-up is extremely minimal, if there is even any at all. I certainly don't want anyone hassling me over that when I'm quick about it.

Secondly, as a side-topic, as someone who remembers the days when we didn't have cell phones, I can't fathom why anyone would have a cell phone and not have it everywhere they go. To me that's not addiction, that's the way it OUGHT to be. The whole POINT of having a cell phone is so you don't have to be at home to make or receive calls, you can do it anywhere. There is no good reason to not have your phone with you at ALL TIMES. I even take mine into the bathroom with me. Even during, well, "marital relations," it's beside the bed, albeit on vibrate and face-down.

To me, that's what apps are for, I have an app that has "timed profiles" so I can set the phone to be silent or vibrate for, say, 3 hours, but then to automatically turn the sounds back on after the time has elapsed, so I don't forget. That's also why we have texting, it's more discreet than talking if done quickly and in a "done and over with" sort of way, vs engaging in a constant back & forth dialogue. Speaking of which, they even make apps that will auto-reply to senders a custom message to let them know you're busy, you could have it say "I'm on a date trying to get lucky, I'll return any messages when the action cools off, ha ha" or whatever. It doesn't disturb your date, and the person calling you isn't waiting all night long to hear back.

To me, the solution to situations such as, say, you're on a date and don't want your date upset because you're staring at your phone all the time vs actually engaging in conservation etc with them--the solution is NOT to leave the phone at home or to never have it out. The solution is to use discretion and utilize "timed profile" apps and the like. This whole "leave your machine at home" thing--nope, not on your life. In fact, if my job demanded it, I'd quit, or I'd start hiding it in places they don't check (think boxers vs briefs), but my phone will NOT be left in a locker somewhere. This is not the 1980s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top