U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-20-2015, 03:41 PM
 
7,452 posts, read 4,132,375 times
Reputation: 15907

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
We do a lot of "busy work" which means zoning our area, straightening and making sure things are 'neat'. We aren't allowed to just stand there, doing nothing, so we have to look busy. I don't know any co workers who try to avoid taking care of customers. Most of us would rather be busy and make the time go by faster.
How many actually make eye contact and say "I can take you right here?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2015, 03:43 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
11,097 posts, read 14,788,486 times
Reputation: 25320
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Right. The "pea brain" customers are supposed to stop to figure out what the melon headed employees are doing, like who is actually accomplishing something and who is just trying to avoid doing something like taking care of customers. I have absolutely no idea what you mean by an auxiliary register or where your computer terminal is located but it sounds like you may be working at a customer service desk. What kind of silly pea brains would expect to go to customer service and actually get...service?
Auxiliary registers are registers not located along the main checkout area. No, I don't work at a customer service desk, I'm not a cashier either, but who walks past all the registers to go to the customer service desk to be rung up, who walks over to the jewelry counter or the deli to be rung up, because the cashier at the front registers was 'too busy' straightening the gum and candy bars? That's just weird and I don't think those people have a clue. And yeah, pea brain customers should not be trying to drop off a prescription anywhere but the pharmacy counter either, but they do it pretty frequently anyway because ...hmmm... they aren't paying attention!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 03:49 PM
 
7,452 posts, read 4,132,375 times
Reputation: 15907
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I disagree, on several fronts. First, having worked in the stores myself, I can tell you that in our case anyway the ones on their phones tend to be the fastest ones. They have everything ready, when the total is generated they notice it right away themselves and respond very quickly, they take the change/bags and step on out. They are very much the very definition of "in and out."

The only time it bugs me is when the customers are attractive and I wish I could've talked to them.

Also, I as a customer use my phone, for something few people do--logging the transactions, much the same as older people write down every check they write in a check register. Even so, much like the person who has already filled out their check with everything but the amount ahead of time, I do the same here, I have everything ready but the amount and, while the card is processing, I type in the amount and press "save" before the machine is even done, so the hold-up is extremely minimal, if there is even any at all. I certainly don't want anyone hassling me over that when I'm quick about it.

Secondly, as a side-topic, as someone who remembers the days when we didn't have cell phones, I can't fathom why anyone would have a cell phone and not have it everywhere they go. To me that's not addiction, that's the way it OUGHT to be. The whole POINT of having a cell phone is so you don't have to be at home to make or receive calls, you can do it anywhere. There is no good reason to not have your phone with you at ALL TIMES. I even take mine into the bathroom with me. Even during, well, "marital relations," it's beside the bed, albeit on vibrate and face-down.

To me, that's what apps are for, I have an app that has "timed profiles" so I can set the phone to be silent or vibrate for, say, 3 hours, but then to automatically turn the sounds back on after the time has elapsed, so I don't forget. That's also why we have texting, it's more discreet than talking if done quickly and in a "done and over with" sort of way, vs engaging in a constant back & forth dialogue. Speaking of which, they even make apps that will auto-reply to senders a custom message to let them know you're busy, you could have it say "I'm on a date trying to get lucky, I'll return any messages when the action cools off, ha ha" or whatever. It doesn't disturb your date, and the person calling you isn't waiting all night long to hear back.

To me, the solution to situations such as, say, you're on a date and don't want your date upset because you're staring at your phone all the time vs actually engaging in conservation etc with them--the solution is NOT to leave the phone at home or to never have it out. The solution is to use discretion and utilize "timed profile" apps and the like. This whole "leave your machine at home" thing--nope, not on your life. In fact, if my job demanded it, I'd quit, or I'd start hiding it in places they don't check (think boxers vs briefs), but my phone will NOT be left in a locker somewhere. This is not the 1980s.
You want your phone with you everywhere you go? Fine. That doesn't mean you need to answer it when you're in the process of checking out in front of me and have a conversation or start texting while we're waiting to check out. Surely your phone will log the call or text so you can call back two minutes later without wasting the time of the cashier and the next six people on line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 03:51 PM
 
7,452 posts, read 4,132,375 times
Reputation: 15907
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Auxiliary registers are registers not located along the main checkout area. No, I don't work at a customer service desk, I'm not a cashier either, but who walks past all the registers to go to the customer service desk to be rung up, who walks over to the jewelry counter or the deli to be rung up, because the cashier at the front registers was 'too busy' straightening the gum and candy bars? That's just weird and I don't think those people have a clue. And yeah, pea brain customers should not be trying to drop off a prescription anywhere but the pharmacy counter either, but they do it pretty frequently anyway because ...hmmm... they aren't paying attention!
They're not being paid to pay attention - you are. Perhaps if customers make your work life so miserable you should consider a line of work where you don't need to deal with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 06:13 PM
 
3,279 posts, read 4,200,628 times
Reputation: 6149
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You want your phone with you everywhere you go? Fine. That doesn't mean you need to answer it when you're in the process of checking out in front of me and have a conversation or start texting while we're waiting to check out. Surely your phone will log the call or text so you can call back two minutes later without wasting the time of the cashier and the next six people on line.
Apparently reading is fundamental, to some people but not to everyone. If you actually READ what I wrote, you will see that I mentioned how the way I do things interferes extremely minimally, if any at all, on line progress. I can tell you, as well, as I said (again, if reading is fundamental) that I've worked in the industry and in this capacity the people who are on their phones are some of the QUICKEST people I've seen. This notion that people on their phones holds up lines is totally misguided and wrong, and I say this as a person who HATES the line being held up for any reason (after all, I am the original poster of this thread).

I don't mind someone's practices causing a SMALL amount of line holdup. If it's small and brief, and they demonstrate sensitivity to others in their demeanor, I'm for cutting them a little slack over something that only amounts to 5 seconds or so. It's when it adds up to significantly longer than that, and they demonstrate no care about others at all, when it becomes an issue to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 09:04 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
11,097 posts, read 14,788,486 times
Reputation: 25320
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
They're not being paid to pay attention - you are.
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in the context of this thread. How does my paying attention to my job change the fact that some customers hold up lines or cause problems for employees and other shoppers by their own lack of attention to what they are doing?
Most customers are just fine but there are some that have no clue about how to behave in public around other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
How many actually make eye contact and say "I can take you right here?"
We all do. Every one of us. It's what we are there for and what we do. It's procedure and actually required that we do that. In fact, when it's kind of slow, we can get pretty competitive and that can be some laughs sometimes. "Okay, you got this one but I'm next!". And yes, we really do that. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Auxiliary registers are registers not located along the main checkout area. No, I don't work at a customer service desk, I'm not a cashier either, but who walks past all the registers to go to the customer service desk to be rung up, who walks over to the jewelry counter or the deli to be rung up, because the cashier at the front registers was 'too busy' straightening the gum and candy bars? That's just weird and I don't think those people have a clue. And yeah, pea brain customers should not be trying to drop off a prescription anywhere but the pharmacy counter either, but they do it pretty frequently anyway because ...hmmm... they aren't paying attention!
I don't think people realize that we aren't "too busy" doing something. We are just killing time till the next customer comes to our register and we are on the lookout for them all the time. We aren't going to keep on zoning at the expense of a customer being taken care of. So, we are either zoning or redlining but the customer always comes first no matter what we are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You want your phone with you everywhere you go? Fine. That doesn't mean you need to answer it when you're in the process of checking out in front of me and have a conversation or start texting while we're waiting to check out. Surely your phone will log the call or text so you can call back two minutes later without wasting the time of the cashier and the next six people on line.
I know it bothers a lot of people when others are on their cell phones while they are in line or checking out. It bothers me not at all. It just means that I don't have to interact with them, I can just do my job and get them out of there. If they want to spend their whole time talking to someone else, I don't care. It doesn't happen very often though and when it does they generally apologize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 11:31 PM
 
6,895 posts, read 3,503,676 times
Reputation: 2448
I hold up the line all of the time. I smile and chat. I take my time taking out my money. For the life of me, sometimes it takes a few times to remember my pin number.

I chat with the person bagging my groceries. I take time to thank them and wish them a good day remembering to use the names on their tags.

The good thing is every one of you cranky people are behind me.

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 01-21-2015 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:06 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top